Leslie Sansone January 2024 Walk and Workout Challenge

Options
texasgardnr
texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
It will be January, 2024 tomorrow or it could already be today, πŸ€·β€β™€οΈπŸ˜„ depending on when you happen to be reading this post.
Regardless of when you happen to actually read this, it will be time for you to either think about your goals for January or it is actually time to start the first monthly walk and workout challenge πŸ˜…πŸ’ͺπŸƒβ€β™€οΈ of 2024!

Here's to the gift of another brand new year πŸŽ‰and the opportunity to improve our health and to increase our activity level, regardless of how, why, or where we are at physically, at this very moment.

This group is open to any and all walkers. Many of us use Leslie Sansone, as well as other favorite instructor's walking or other workouts. Some of us still use the DVDs πŸ“€, while others stream the walks by using an app subscription or watch on YouTube for instance. Some may be inspired to go outdoors to walk, or to take hikes on the trails or pathways that are available. Perhaps another may find that a walk in the neighborhood or on the treadmill is the perfect way to walk at times.

However, or wherever you get your walk, as well as other favorite workouts in, such as a strength program, or another form of exercise possibly including Tai Chi or Yoga, or what your gym membership provides for you, for instance, come on in and join us! Post your miles or minutes, or sessions, that you have walked or worked out, however you did it... it is all good!
The goal that you choose is your own personal goal for this month πŸ‘Ÿ πŸ“†. There are no rules as to how to make your own goal.

We are a happy, supportive group, and this group will motivate, challenge, as well as inspire you, as hopefully you will do the same by your participation.

This group has changed over these many years. Sometimes increasing or decreasing in activity and participation, but what never changes is that those who are able to be active at the time are always an inspiration and show much strength and positivity by overcoming challenges, sometimes while just barely hanging on, while others join in while enjoying a positive and healthy time in life and come in to share and uplift us by also joining in. Some post easily while others through, or after times of challenging events or adversity. Some have needed a time away, yet are with us in memory and happily surprise us all when they are able to come back for a time.

So all this to say you are welcome to join in or re-join in, if you find this to be a good fit for you currently, while you are at or back to logging into MFP striving to improve your health and to increase your activity level...whether you are new at walking/ exercise, or have been around that block for years.

If you discover this group during this month please feel free to start today so that by the end of the month you will be that much closer to your personal health goals. You are always welcome, and it is never too late to join in :) . Just set your goals to reflect what you want to accomplish during the remaining days in the month.

Let's tie up our shoes πŸ‘Ÿand get some water πŸ’§, and start walking, counting steps, or working out strong....

Praying blessings for a healthy and happy 2024 for each one of us in this group,

texasgardnr πŸŒΊπŸ¦‹πŸŒ·
Β«13

Replies

• Deeder522
    Deeder522 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Welcome to 2024!!!

I have a slew of goals that I never intended to have thanks to Apple. 😳😝

Apple New Year challenge - Close all Rings 7 days in a row.
    Apple January Challenge - 3 Walking workouts of 5 minutes or more.
    Walk n Talk Challenge - Complete Jessica Smth's Walk N Talk series this month. 1 /21

I'm also hoping to incorporate some strength training this year and look at starting a more anti-inflammatory food routine.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    edited January 3
    Options
    Good morning!
    @Deeder522 Looks like you have your month well planned out thanks to Apple and Jessica Smith!

I am going to continue on with timed walking either outdoors or inside on most days. I'm also wanting to get back to using my DVDs or YouTube for workouts and mix them in also.

January 1: 30 minutes cul-de-sac walking
    January 2: 30 minutes indoors walk-n-read

πŸŒΊπŸ¦‹πŸŒ·
  • Deeder522
    Options
    yxndaybx5r2u.jpeg

Well, that went quickly. 😊
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Well January started out just lovely with a migraine headache with aura, which I have not had in years! I get migraines, but generally there is no aura and I can get rid of them with some Excedrine and a lot of coffee, but not this one. I mean the kaleidoscope in my eyes is very pretty, but not the pain that comes with it for sure. I had what I call the "shadow headache" most of yesterday, which to me means, it's still there ready to pounce at any time, but is not causing pain. Today I woke up feeling fine, but have 3 days to make up already!!!! :grumble:
    Geez @deeder522, kind of an overachiever this month aren't you?????? :laugh: Good for you and your award!!!!
    Welcome back @texasgardnr! It is great to see you!!!!
    Last month was a bust for me except that I had a good time and enjoyed the holidays with with Dennis!!! After the year we have had, it seemed nice to have peaceful days. But, it is 2024 and those days are over and it is time to get the Christmas goodies pounds off!!!! So, my goals for January are to log at least 1 meal every day and hopefully all of them, but I am being realistic here. complete Jessica Smith's 21 Day Walk & Talk series before the last week in January and for the last week, do 2 of her 15 minute videos every other day for 30 minutes total. In addition, I want to average 6500 steps per day for January. All of this is doable, but I need to be more disciplined than I have been in December.

January Goals: 21 Days Walk & Talk with Jessica Smith: Log at least 1 meal/day: Average 6500 steps/day
    Jan 1-JS-0, Log-0, Steps: 3664
    Jan 2-JS-0, Log-0, Steps: 2327
    Jan 3-JS Walk & Talk The Space Between :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    Well, due to Comcast/Xfinity, I missed my morning workout timeframe. I don't have Comcast and many of my clients do and we ended up on a 3-way call b/c of technical issues. So if I can find a way Comcast for anything I will 142% blame them. This is probably a good reason why doing the 21 walks in January is better than 21 days straight of walks.

I get the chance to eat breakfast though, 1 egg scrambled with 4-mini link chicken sausages.

Ugh, I'm sorry about the migraine @zichab. My Mom has been a lifelong sufferer as well and it's 1 of many things that limits her quality of life. Hopefully, it passes without a bounce-back migraine.

@texasgardnr I miss walking outside. We're chillin' in the 30's this week.
  • zichab
    Options
    January Goals: 21 Days Walk & Talk with Jessica Smith: Log at least 1 meal/day: Average 6500 steps/day
    Jan 3-JS Walk & Talk The Space Between , Log 2, Steps 6168
    Jan 4-JS Walk & Talk How to Get and Stay Motivated
    I am so glad to see those steps from yesterday!! I did all my laundry, cleaned by bathrooms and kitchen and was on my feet most of the day!!!! It paid off. I have a lot of steps today as well and I am hoping to add more. I made the most of my Aldi shop and walked the whole store!!!! :laugh:
    We had Comcast when we were in MI and they were super. We have Spectrum here because NYS would not let Comcast buy this region as it would create a monopoly. We were not happy because we had Spectrum when we lived in Davison (it was called something else then) and we were so glad to move to Grand Blanc and be in Comcast territory. I have to say though that Spectrum has really upped their game and we have no complaints at all.
    I think Jessica set it up as 21 days so people would take breaks, especially people who are brand new to exercise! The fact that those of us who have lives occasionally cannot do our workouts is just an added bonus!!! :drinker:
    It's 17F here today and it is bone chillingly cold. However, it also snowed 2" last night, so I am all right with the cold. Cold and no snow is annoying!!! :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    Where I am, we have Spectrum ( Charter) most of my clients have Comcast which we usually recommend. This is just a case of bad salespeople who don't understand what they are selling to meet the customer's needs. In all honesty, I've run into issues with whoever provides internet. It's just the way of my job.

I'm working on gathering up some energy to get my next walk in for today. It's been a long year already. 🀣

they have us gearing up for a winter mix of a storm early next week.
  • zichab
    Options
    Jan 3-JS Walk & Talk The Space Between , Log 2, Steps 6168
    Jan 4-JS Walk & Talk How to Get and Stay Motivated, Log 2 Steps 6169
    Jan 5-JS Walk & Talk The Compound Effect
    That's right!!!! It was Charter!!! We had horrible luck with them. The service was out all the time, the Cable TV kept dropping channels and it was kind of a nightmare since we had Comcast in NY with no problem at all. I did not use a computer at home that much the year I lived in Davison as I was at Mott 10-12 hours a day. But here, we have high speed Spectrum service and we were only out once and it was because we had a hardware problem and they came right out (next day) and fixed it. It must be a pain dealing with difference ISPs as well as different hardware and software day in and day out. I loved our IT people, but was super glad I did not have their jobs! The other job that was awful was the administrator of the LMS (Learning Management System) as they updated or changed those all the time and college teachers are not exactly tech savvy and they HATE change!!!! Teaching got rough, but tech was rougher!! :laugh:
    We were at 5F this morning when I got up, but we have a heat wave of 20F now. We are gearing up for a Nor'easter that is going to dump about 1-3 on us from the rain-snow mix that is going to come over you. However, downstate is looking at 8-10 inches of snow so for once, it is going to give the mountains a break! :wink: It has snowed on and off all day and we have about an inch. I :heart: snow like this! :bigsmile:
  • zichab
    Options
    Jan 3-JS Walk & Talk: The Space Between , Log 2, Steps 6168
    Jan 4-JS Walk & Talk: How to Get and Stay Motivated, Log 2 Steps 6169
    Jan 5-JS Walk & Talk: The Compound Effect, Log 1, Steps 5107
    Jan 6-JS Walk & Talk: Walk Off Stress & Tension, Log 2, Steps
    Happy New Year to MI & NY! We are getting some storms! The National Weather Service upped our forecast from 1-3" to 3-6" of snow, so Dennis and I were busy today. We moved the cars, blew out some left over snow from our 1" flurries, took out the garbage and recycling, brought in the Christmas decoration bins from the garage and brought in 5 loads of wood!!! I got in lots of steps so I can sit in front of our fire and watch the snow fall at 1" per hour!!! :laugh: I see the MI forecast is 3-6" of snow on Monday into Tuesday and then we will get what is left over, which is 1-3 depending. Lake Ontario often changes that amount if there are strong winds. Lake effect is hard to predict, but we are both in for a fair amount of snow @Deeder522. Meanwhile, Texas is getting wind rain and thunderstorms so hang on down there @texasgardnr! :wink:
    I am opening Christmas presents with my grandchildren tomorrow as the box finally arrived from Netherlands on Thursday. What did we ever do before technology made these things possible! :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    I took the majority of Christmas down this afternoon. I have a strand of lights and a small tree left inside. Outside, I wait until the weather is warmer, the lights are unplugged for now. All the de-Christmas'ing activity gave me 10 exercise minutes credits before I even got to my walk tonight. I also broke down a buttload of cardboard boxes for recycling too. It feels so good to get things out of the house.

Local meteorologists are fairly certain we'll get 3" Tuesday into Wednesday. I need to get a car wash in today or tomorrow before the system moves in. I went down 1 dirt road for 1 mile and my car turned into PigPen. 🀣
  • Deeder522
    Options
    I woke up to snow this morning but it was gone by midday. It warmed up just enough for a car wash. I had a delicious brunch with some friends today then came home to clean the bathroom. The den is cleared of more items so I have more walking room now too.
  • Deeder522
    Options
    January Goals

Apple New Year challenge - Close all Rings 7 days in a row.βœ…
    Apple January Challenge - 3 Walking workouts of 5 minutes or more.βœ…
    Walk n Talk Challenge - Complete Jessica Smth's Walk N Talk series this month. 7 /21
    Mileage Tracked - 21 Miles

I'm working onsite this afternoon so I've already been busy running around taking care of chores and errands. But I should be able to get a walk in tonight after dinner. It's been nice having a plan laid out and intentionally moving again.
  • Deeder522
    Options
    Yesterday was a long day but I did manage to get my 15min walk. I'm feeling sluggish today.
    The Winter Storm is giving me heavy wet snow. We're expecting 1-4" through tomorrow. I'm reminded every year how glad I am to have winter/snow tires for the car.

I'll take it easy for most of the day and see if I get a small energy surge to do a walk. Maybe I'm just a little suggest from celebrating last night's U of M Football game. 😊πŸ₯°πŸ€”πŸ˜‰ Go Blue!

• zichab
    Options
    Jan 6-JS Walk & Talk: Walk Off Stress & Tension, Log 2, Steps 7321
    Jan 7-JS-0 Log-0, Steps 5220
    Jan 8-JS-0 Log-0, Steps 3009
    Jan 9-JS Walk & Talk: Busyness(sic) vs Happiness, Log 2, Steps

Like I said, we read and watched the snow fall on Sunday and got ready for the game on Monday.What more is there to say really! The Main page at UoM says it all!!! Blue WENT!!! :laugh: :drinker:

bve73qlhru3s.png
  • Deeder522
    Options
    Yesterday's rest day turned out to be a good thing. I woke up to 3 emergency calls this morning. The 1st round of weather started causing power outages. Computers don't like those. πŸ˜‚ I got my 15 min in with Jessica this evening.

I have a bit of running around tomorrow to prepare for snowmageddon that is due on Friday/Saturday. They have now forecasted 10-14" for my area, higher in others. So far what we've gotten has been that heavy wet snow.

I wasn't sure if you were a U of M fan, @zichab. My family is thick with alumni and my cousin's son is a freshman in the marching band playing tuba this year.
  • zichab
    Options
    Jan 9-JS Walk & Talk: Busyness(sic) vs Happiness, Log 2, Steps 5917
    Jan 10-JS Walk & Talk: How to Stay on Track, Log 1, Steps
    My computer does not mind power outages too much as it just goes to battery, but my modem HATES them!!!! :laugh: We had a couple of those blips yesterday during all the snow, sleep, freezing rain and then rain. The sky just could not pick a lane!!! :angry: It makes for real messy clean up.
    In addition to teaching, I was the Phi Theta Kappa Advisor at Mott for over 10 years. As a result, I worked with all the MI 4 year schools fairly closely since many of our honor students planned to transfer. At first, Western and MI State were the easiest to work with, but as time went on, UoM was the school I could count on to return my calls and make appointments (that they kept!) with our students. More and more of them were accepted before the other MI schools even got around to calling. I came to really have a soft spot for UoM.
    Dennis and I went to a couple of UoM basketball and football games when we lived in MI. Sports in MI are a step above any place else we have lived! When we first entered the state, we noticed all these flags flying from back windows and some were blue and some green. It was one of the first questions I asked at Mott. What is with the blue and green flags on cars??? :laugh:
    You guys are going to get buried from what I see on the weather reports. We are going to be buried eventually, but it is happening 1-3 at a time. Every day from tomorrow on there is snow predicted until next Friday. I'll take the snow over this rain and freezing rain as it makes a mess. It even says Texas is going to be cold again so it is a good thing @texasgardnr has experience from living in PA to handle it. :wink:
    I am not sure if I'll have time to get my walk in tomorrow, but I will try. Dennis has cardio rehab at 10 and then a cardiology appointment at 1 and then we need to grocery shop at our equivalent of Kroger, which is a little further away so I am not sure when we will get home. If I do not make it, I'll catch up on Friday for sure!! Gas up the snow blower and keep those snow shovels close to the house @Deeder522 and then just cuddle up and watch it snow! What else can we do? :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    I just did my JS 15min. It was a lot of running around this morning and depending on how the weather is when I get up, I may do a quick run to Meijer for 1-2 last things.
    The Watch goes into effect at 10 AM. Tonight they are thinking 8-12" of heavy snow with 45+ MPH winds. Should be a great time for all. πŸ˜‰ Gas for the snow blower and generator are at the ready. I have amaretto for my hot chocolate and we stopped at the library today as well.

Ryan had a Cardio appointment this afternoon and they think the only thing left to do is try meds to raise his blood pressure. Not something we want since the majority of the time he has such awful reactions to Rx's.
  • zichab
    Options
    Jan 10-JS Walk & Talk: How to Stay on Track, Log 1, Steps 6707
    Jan 11-JS Walk & Talk: The Value of Simplicity, Log 2, Steps
    I am happier today than I have been since last February when we got the news that Dennis' heart was failing and he needed a valve replacement. Today, his cardiologist was beaming! They like to see a 40% improvement in blood flow and oxygenation over the 6 weeks of cardio rehab after a stent and valve implant and Dennis is just about at 50%!!!!! His cardiologist was over the moon! Normally, patients need to be on an anticoagulant for 1 year following the valve implant, but he says Dennis is cleared to go off it and that means he can have his knee replacement surgery, which is what started all this in the first place!!! He was so happy today and so was I!!! He sees his primary in February and the process for replacing his knees can begin ... again! We are going to continue cardio rehab at a less supervised, but still guided level for another 3 months that we have to pay for. We want to make sure his legs are as strong as possible when he gets his new knees so that his knee rehab is as successful as his cardio has been. All in all, we had a glorious day!!! :happy:
    Our weather forecast is very weird! Our snow predictions are: Friday:3-6, Sat:1-3, Sun:1-3, Mon:1-3 for a storm total of 6-15!!! That is a huge difference when it comes to where we live as 6 is nothing and will not even close schools, but 15 is some serious snowage!!!!! :laugh: It is also going to get super cold as well which up here can mean -20F depending on elevation. MI is much more straightforward ... you are getting a crap ton of snow!!! :wink:
    I hope @texasgardnr will be OK as Texas is once again supposed to get very cold. She is from PA so hopefully, she still has some of her thermals, but they are talking about power reductions or outages and that is scary when you need heat!
    I am so sorry to hear about Ryan @deeder522! We have fought high blood pressure for so long that having low blood pressure almost sounds like relief to us, but Dennis has had some periods of low pressure and it is scary. One time, he passed out in the car dealership while our car was being serviced! He has had several periods when he was dizzy all the time. He is on blood pressure lowering drugs so it is scary when his pressure drops. You can increase Ryan's sodium level if he can tolerate that as sodium will raise BP, especially if he also increases his water consumption. That was always what we did to get Dennis' pressure back up. Let me know how he makes out.
    Off I go to bed as I have a ton of crap that I did not do today that I have to do tomorrow! Stay safe out there!!! :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    I did my walk this afternoon while the snow and wind kicked up. Today's walk-n-talk was about a healthy lifestyle and she focused on the importance of sleep. Rather good timing as I had poor sleep last night. πŸ€”

This is a weird storm, it's blowing from the East rather than the West. NWS here in Grand Rapids did a great infographic of what they are predicting. They are still putting us in the 8-12" range by tomorrow night. πŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™€οΈ I'd be more worried about losing power but I think we'll be find through all of it. 🀞🏻
  • zichab
    Options
    Jan 10-JS Walk & Talk: How to Stay on Track, Log 1, Steps 6707
    Jan 11-JS Walk & Talk: The Value of Simplicity, Log 2, Steps 7059
    Jan 12-JS Walk & Talk: Lessons we can Learn from Nature, Log 3, Steps
    I follow a You Tuber from the north shore of Chicago and she said she was out of power for about 4 hours this afternoon which is very rare, so it is possible you could lose power from this storm. Because we live in the mountains, we always run the risk of a power outage. All it takes is a downed tree on a main feed and we're out. We have a generator and a wood stove on each floor so we are usually fine. We bought a new gas grill last year with a side burner and that has come in handy several times when the power went out. Our biggest issue is that we have hot water baseboard central heat and that can freeze if we do not keep the house warm.
    I loved Jessica's nature talk today because she said "If you feel like laying on the couch and eating chips, maybe you need to dig deeper about why that is. Maybe you are not getting good sleep and your body wants to rest. Maybe you are not eating enough and your body is craving more calories." Jessica, you are my kind of woman!!!! I am going to go lay on the couch and eat chips and contemplate this deep wisdom!! Thank you so much! :laugh:
    Enjoy your blizzard @Deeder522! Grand Rapids was mentioned on our weather report tonight as being in the area of true blizzard conditions by definition, which includes high winds, white out conditions, and constant snow that lasts more than 3 hours. Fun stuff! :bigsmile: