Jumpstart January Challenge 2024

Options

Replies

• Im_Jim
    Im_Jim Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    [quote="Low carb for 1 week, then I’ll shoot for ketosis. 8-10k steps per day. Drink only water or black coffee. 16:8 IF most days.
    [/quote]

So, I’ve been hitting it hard the last few days but still hovering around 80g of carbs. Yesterday was rough, only about 8800 steps. Today I woke full of energy, only had a half cup of coffee because I was already moving. Dug out my ketone meter and guess who is at 2.8 already. So 3 days at 80g/day, along with about 18 hours fasting has put me on the fast track to weight loss. All I need is consistency.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,119 Member
    Options
    Im_Jim wrote: »
    [quote="Low carb for 1 week, then I’ll shoot for ketosis. 8-10k steps per day. Drink only water or black coffee. 16:8 IF most days.

So, I’ve been hitting it hard the last few days but still hovering around 80g of carbs. Yesterday was rough, only about 8800 steps. Today I woke full of energy, only had a half cup of coffee because I was already moving. Dug out my ketone meter and guess who is at 2.8 already. So 3 days at 80g/day, along with about 18 hours fasting has put me on the fast track to weight loss. All I need is consistency. [/quote]

Great progress.
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    1/12-1/15
    I had a good long weekend of fasting but the scale is not moving much. Up and down as normal for me. Frustrating to say the least. Carbs were a little higher over the weekend as I had some salads but tried to stay fairly low and percentages for macros were pretty darn close to goal. Calories were over a couple of days but I’m not super worried about that. I’m trying to eat my last meal a bit earlier and am finding my sleep has improved. I just need to stay consistent and see where this takes me. Now to keep stress managed to avoid cortisol interfering with any fat loss.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Planning ahead - yes
    Staying under carbs-aiming for 60 or under daily - over/under 5
    Logging and measuring-Measuring yes, logging has been inconsistent
    Getting in exercise/movement - bowling Sunday, Monday 30 min, will be shoveling the driveway at lunch today.
    Jan SW 179
    CW 175.0
    Jan GW 173

Had measurements taken Sunday for a gym challenge, good perspective for the remainder of the month.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,335 Member
    Options
    Doing good with logging food ...still have a road block about working out .. I am terrified of getting more hurt .. water intake is great ... logging the night before keeps me on track
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Genmon02 wrote: »
    Baconslave! So good to see a familiar name! I joined MFP wayyyy back in 2017, and this group was phenomenal. So many changes in my life but one thing has not changed...the battle for my health! So back to working on taking care of myself by caring for my health. Low-carb WOE has always been successful for me and so here I am again for moral support!

Thursday 1/11:

Water: Yep.
    Logged Food: Y
    Exercise as Planned: Walking
    At or Under Carb Level: No but close
    At or Under Calorie Limit: No but close!
    Planned Day Ahead: Not yet

AYYYYYY! Hey there! Yeah I'm still around. Glad to see you back. Taking care of ourselves can be difficult. I know for me, accountability help and support is the only thing that keeps me on task and on track. Sometimes it's so hard to focus on self-care with all the life noise.

Which brings me to my apology for being MIA this past week. I've been working but we had weather that took out our power. And then my spouse had an accident and broke and cut his nose and had a concussion so I've been covered up caregiving. He lost a lot of blood as it was severe and wouldn't clot for awhile. Anyway, I hope to get back to exercising today as he is back at work. I, however, have been watching what I eat as best I can. Can't log with no internet, can't workout either as it's snowy hades outside and the basement gym is dark and then we had to do some takeout which was calorie bomb royale. I'm happy to report that I'm down to 205 today. On track to hit my goal of 204 by the end of the month. Which I hope I can hit once I'm able to prioritize me so I can exercise. I really miss it.

Fingers crossed for less crises the rest of this week PUHLEEZE!!!
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Doing good with logging food ...still have a road block about working out .. I am terrified of getting more hurt .. water intake is great ... logging the night before keeps me on track

I understand that concern about working out. I started to realize, for me, it was turning into an excuse because I know I can workout carefully and likely avoid injuries. I started really light workout, and VERY SLOWLY increase the difficulty and intensity. Far slow than I want to because I remember where I was, and I want to be there again. It was realizing that I am not training to be an elite athlete or to compete against other, but I am training for health. I want muscle. I want more cardiovascular endurance. Both of those can be achieved without pushing to the limit.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Things have been going well for me. Finally, I am consistently in ketosis again, and with that, weight is cravings are going away and weight is coming off. Workouts have started again after laying off them since my last one January 1st due to a chest cold that knocked my energy out and kept me from sleeping well. Eating has been on and below target with carbs, not as much fat as I would like, but good enough. Protein has been high as I have been more Carnivore than Keto for the last couple of weeks. Weight is down for my lowest weight in December, maybe even a bit lower. I am only 5 pounds away from moving from overweight BMI to normal BMI. Then another 10 pounds to my final goal weight. I should be able to reach that by when I started all this in April of last year. Then comes the bigger challenge of maintaining it and building more muscle.
  • michelleannkedian
    michelleannkedian Posts: 6 Member
    Options

So, I’ve been hitting it hard the last few days but still hovering around 80g of carbs. Yesterday was rough, only about 8800 steps. Today I woke full of energy, only had a half cup of coffee because I was already moving. Dug out my ketone meter and guess who is at 2.8 already. So 3 days at 80g/day, along with about 18 hours fasting has put me on the fast track to weight loss. All I need is consistency.

Great progress.[/quote]

Wow impressive and inspiring. I've been trying low carb but haven't got the hang of it yet. What does 80g of carbs look like in your daily intake if you don't mind me asking?
  • Im_Jim
    Options
    [quote="What does 80g of carbs look like in your daily intake if you don't mind me asking?

Carbs have come from premade salads, including the dressing. My goal is zero sugar but I still end up with about 5g each day. I made some tacos one night with the family and ate 4 corn tortillas at 15g each. I made open faced burgers on sourdough, about 20g each slice. The rest of the time is 90% meat.

Here is something else I discovered… I’m a night owl, usually awake til midnight or later. On the days I work, I’m up by 5am=not much sleep. The scale didn’t move those three days of limited sleep. My day off, slept from midnight to 0800. Dropped 2 pounds that next morning. I am figuring out how important sleep is in regards to losing weight or repair our bodies.
  • Im_Jim
    Options
    9anjimeem6ai.jpeg

You can see my plateau on the days with 5 hours of sleep. 1/14,15,16. On the 17 I got a full nights sleep and dropped weight
  • rileysowner
    Options

I understand that concern about working out. I started to realize, for me, it was turning into an excuse because I know I can workout carefully and likely avoid injuries. I started really light workout, and VERY SLOWLY increase the difficulty and intensity. Far slow than I want to because I remember where I was, and I want to be there again. It was realizing that I am not training to be an elite athlete or to compete against other, but I am training for health. I want muscle. I want more cardiovascular endurance. Both of those can be achieved without pushing to the limit.

Its hard for sure ... I just had my 8th foot/leg surgery on 12/16 and I am terrified for sure but I think it is time that I try to use my home gym for 30 minutes (starting tomorrow) thanks for the pep talk :)

You can do it. Take it slow.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,335 Member
    Options

Its hard for sure ... I just had my 8th foot/leg surgery on 12/16 and I am terrified for sure but I think it is time that I try to use my home gym for 30 minutes (starting tomorrow) thanks for the pep talk :)

You can do it. Take it slow.

It didn't happen today ... foot hurt to bad will try again on Monday ...this cold weather is not helping
  • rileysowner
    Options
    This has been a good week. I decided to restart my workout routine after having about two weeks where I could not workout due to a rather unpleasant chest cold. This week was that restart. I switched from a Monday, Wednesday, Friday pattern to a Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday one which seems to work better as Monday is usually busy, and I often struggled to have the time and energy to get in the workout program. I also added in bike sprinting at the end of my workout. I would have liked to try running sprinting outside, but winter finally decided to come to where I live and it is all ice and snow out there. Sprinting that way will have to wait. I am hoping the metabolic benefits of sprinting (see the video by Dr. Sean O'Mara on Youtube), will be found in cycle sprinting. I guess time will tell.

Eating has been on point. I have been mainly carnivore this week, and I have to say I rather like it. I don't know if I am at a point where I would go all carnivore, but being able to through a decent-sized beef roast in the slow cooker with some salt, butter, and a little garlic (I know that isn't strick carnivore) and letting it cook on low while I am at work giving me enough for 3-4 meals (usually eaten with several eggs and some bacon) it so convenient and it allowed me basically eat OMAD without being hungry at all. Other days were fried or BBQed (until it got too cold) sirloin patties with eggs, cheddar cheese, and bacon with only some salt and pepper added. That is not a way I would have eaten even 3 months back, but now meat seems to satisfy in a way it never has before.

My breath ketones have been staying consistently in a good to great range rather than the up and down I had before even though I was eating at keto levels of carbs. So I am happy with that. Weight is also down.

Stick to it people. You can do this.
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    1/17-1/21
    I’m hanging in there with logging. While I don’t love it, I can appreciate it. My carbs have fallen between 9 and 13% of my macro goal this week with a target of no more than 15%. I’ve kept fat and protein fairly high and haven’t had many cravings. I do still want to slip into the habit of snacking after dinner but know it is boredom and have refrained. I’ll hit the scale tomorrow to see how it is coming. I doubt it will move much but fingers crossed. I started some Pilates this week too since the weather has kept me indoors and I wanted to supplement my weight lifting.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Planning ahead - yes still going well
    Staying under carbs-aiming for 60 or under daily - averaging 70 total, 55-60 net
    Logging and measuring-Measuring yes, logging has improved
    Getting in exercise/movement - 20 strength Thur, bowling & 50 min strength Sun, Monday 30 min strength.
    Jan SW 179
    CW 175.0 no change this week
    Jan GW 173
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Yesterday I was feeling sluggish all day. When I got home, I was hoping some food would perk me up, so I could get in my Tuesday workout. It didn't, and instead my hunger didn't seem to go away. I logged for a while, but eventually just said forget it, and ate. I didn't get my workout in. I did stick with Keto/Carnivore type foods. At 8PM I said enough of this, and went to bed. I expected I would have some temporary weight gain if from nothing more than the food in my belly. Instead, I woke up early. While not having a huge amount of energy, I had enough to get in my workout. Before that I did my daily weight and ketone measurements. Weight was down almost 2 pounds and ketones were at a really good level. While I don't want to have nights like last night very often, this is one of things I have noticed more than this time since I have started eating Keto. Back to logging today, and I still have lots of meat cooked and ready for tonight.
  • baconslave
    edited January 26
    Options
    Weight is doing a bouncy on me. Up to 206.6
    Granted I have been doing weights, and I have been sore. Still behaving as best I can. Still not sleeping great. so that accounts for the uptick. I just have to keep on keeping on and wait it out. Fingers crossed it drops so I can meet my monthly goal. Won't be the end of the world if it doesn't cooperate. I know I'm doing the right things.
  • baconslave
    Options
    weight still up. So it's looking like I'm doing my plateau crap already. It's fine. Keep Calm, Low-Carb On. It has to go sometime.

I ran across this gal awhile ago. She really tends to simplify weight loss and tackle the psychology and habits behind overeating. Caveats: she has a potty mouth, which isn't an issue for me personally but many do find that offensive, and she has it out for "fad diets". She says counting carbs for those who aren't diabetic is a fad diet. I get around that by pretending that is wrapped up in her philosophy that you need to reframe diets you must do for your health positively (you aren't being deprived; you are choosing better health), and low carb is absolutely a health choice for people so I just let it go as her not understanding but meaning well. She really otherwise has a lot of good points. Anyway, I ran into this recent podcast of hers while walking. On point. https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9wbnB0cmliZXBvZGNhc3QuY29tL3Jzcw/episode/NzY0NWZiZjktNWM5MC00NmVmLTgwMTktNTlkMzA5ZjcyNmE4?sa=X&ved=0CAUQkfYCahcKEwiI_s-t8_2DAxUAAAAAHQAAAAAQOw

PLMF- Pivot Like a MF...which I do and have done for dealing with parenting and homeschooling already, but I can't seem to manage to do for myself these days regarding what I put in my mouth when stressed all to hell by the absolute insanity I deal with from certain people in my house. A gentle, if colorfully-expressed, kick in the pants I needed yesterday. It's not ruined. You don't need to freak out and eat all the things. Pivot. Adapt. Get to work.