I am stuck!

Options
ams1507
ams1507 Posts: 6 Member
I am turning 70 next week!
I am using MFP for several years, it worked for me for a very long time.
Then I had my gallbladder removed in November of 2019, everything seemed fine at first, but then began the problems, endless diarrhea and weight gain.
I am 5'6" and currently 160 lbs., used to be 130 lbs. 8 years ago, I don't even want to that low again, but 140 lbs. would be great.
I joined Planet Fitness (which is free through my health insurance), but I had to quit for a while, had a hip replacement in August of 2019, was able to get back shortly after, but then my back got so bad, that I couldn't do it.
I can eat much, little or nothing, I am not losing an oz. of weight.
I talked to my doctor, he suggested to just forget all about dieting, eat normal and see what happens, well, that's how I ended up being 160 lbs. now.
I have MFP check my suggested calorie intake, which is 1200 calories, I stick by that, if I go just a little bit over I gain immediately.
I try to go on the treadmill until my back and feet kill me, about 3 times a week. I can make 20-30 minutes.
I drink about 60 oz. water or water with lemon, sometimes I use those small C4 packs iced tea, lemonade etc., which is all no sugar.
I never have this hungry feeling I used to have before my gall bladder surgery. My doctor can't find anything wrong. And the worst part: most of the unwanted weight sits around my belly.

Replies

• searcher7105
    searcher7105 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Your comment caught my eye. I had my gall bladder removed 9 years ago and have not been able to lose weight since. I had GI issues for five years! And keep gaing weight. I am 65 now and can not lose below 180 lbs unless I fast. I have been keto for 10 years. But have gotten discouraged and fell off the keto wagon a few times. I am now going to try a carnivore way of eating. 🤞
  • andreada98507
    andreada98507 Posts: 24 Member
    edited February 6
    Options
    I'm 73 and over the last 20 years or so, have lost 80 pounds. It was IF that helped the most, but I still have a way to go to my goal.

It sounds like you're facing an uphill battle. Have you ever considered IF? It seemed to help me the most to lose weight. But you should probably check with your doctor first. If he OKs it, and you want to try IF, I found this book to be very helpful: The Alternate Day Diet

The thing that made IF work for me is that even though it's uncomfortable to limit food to only ~500 calories in a day, I could always make it because it was for only one day, and the next day I could eat what I wanted. Surprisingly, I didn't go overboard on the other days, but tended to eat normally.