Living the Lifestyle: Wednesday, 02/14/2024

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,283 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday-misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Is Valentine's Day a Food Day?

Is Valentine's Day a food day in your household? Movies, TV shows, commercials - all portray couples out for dinner or fixing a fancy dinner for their amour. But, does that translate into real life?

I am a romantic, but I really dislike Valentine's Day. My wife is very similar. Usually, I get her a card, and she does nothing for me. We do wish each other a happy day; but, honestly, we both see it as a manufactured retail day. We try to show our love on a daily basis. In our early days, we did do dinner. But, over the years, it's just not been a big deal.

Throughout the year, however, we do little things for each other - which are far more meaningful to us that than a single day ever could be. I do NOT forget our anniversary. :wink:

Replies

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,098 Member
    Options
    I'll echo Greg's post.
    Also, this year, it's Ash Wednesday, which is a Fast day, for us Catholics. Although I'm too old to HAVE to fast. ;)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,485 Member
    Options
    Not an issue at my house. DW considers a Hallmark day.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Steaks for dinner tonight, so that will be special.
  • ClayandRocks
    ClayandRocks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    No.
    I happened to be given a bunch (seriously at least 2 pounds) of mediocre candy this weekend. I threw it all in the garbage.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,979 Member
    Options
    Nope. On normal years we avoid anything more than a card on the day an then plan to do something "special" a week later in order to avoid the crowds and nuttiness that are normal on the day. The special usually includes food but is frequently limited to a plate on which there are 4 blueberries, 4 rasberries, 4 blackberries, 4 figs and a small ramekin of either caramel or chocalate sauce and some toothpicks. We sit in front of the fireplace with a glass of wine and share the plate. Vairiations of that have theme worked for us for several years (Its not always fruit). In our effort to not over indulge and still have some romance and celebration of our romance. BTW we usually do something similar for our Ann.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    (Saint) Valentine's Day is not observed by observant Jews. Of course, I recognize that some may celebrate it as a secular (Hallmark) holiday, but the underlying religious basis makes it "not our holiday."
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    We’ve historically done a card and dinner - although we may do the dinner other than on the 14th. It’s not a religious observation for us; just another Hallmark holiday.

So here’s a related question - how old do you have to be or how long do you have to be married to say “historically speaking”? Asking for a friend . . . . 😉