Living the Lifestyle-Friday, March 22,2024

Options
Flintwinch
Flintwinch Posts: 728 Member
edited March 23 in Social Groups
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday-misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Sleep and Appetite. Get a poor night's sleep and it is harder to control appetite and eating the next day. I've been a student of sleep for a few years and last year discovered thru a sleep study that I needed a CPAP machine due to sleep apnea. It was an exercise in frustration getting used to it ( I use a full face mask) but after several months I got accustomed to wearing it. Bottom line: my sleep quality and quantity improved significantly. This, in turn, has helped me to more successfully follow a sustainable weight management program because I'm not hungry--or hungry for sugar
and caffeine--all the time. Anyone else had any relatable experiences with sleep and hunger?

Replies

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    If I have a bad night, I eat my way to happy. Not a good thing but...
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,772 Member
    Options
    I haven’t really experienced (or recognized) the relationship between sleep and hunger. I get the rationale, but I suspect for me it’s more about fatigue causing me to choose poorer options like eating out rather than preparing a meal at home. I do think sleep is an important part of health, and I’ve been tracking my sleep for a while using my Apple Watch. What’s surprising to me is that there are nights when I don’t feel wakeful, but simply don’t get a lot of deep sleep.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited March 24
    Options
    I could spend the day writing about my quest for a good night’s sleep. Like Al, when I’m having a zombie day my walking dead path leads to the fridge. Repeatedly.

And BTW I credit CPAP with saving my life. Speaking of zombie, that was me everyday at 285 lbs. I probably hadn’t had a real night’s sleep in years until I got a CPAP. Once I got some sleep and was capable of clear headed thinking I could see changes needed to be made.
  • Brian_19
    Brian_19 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. I also haven't noticed a difference between sleep and hunger, but I'm certainly not ruling it out (and it's something I'll be thinking about). I definitely notice a general difference in how I feel - mentally and physically - when I have better sleep.

I've been working on improving my sleep (which I measure with a Fitbit watch). The greatest hurdle for me is disciplining myself to not pick up my phone in between sleep cycles. I need to train my overactive brain that Wordle and Connections will wait until daylight!