Living The Lifestyle - Monday 3/25/24 (honest!)

Options
crewahl
crewahl Posts: 3,772 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday-misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: MyFitnessPal

I struck me recently that we’ve been camped out here on MFP since 2014, so it’s just about a tenth birthday of this MFP Group. With that in mind . . .

How much of MFP are you using, other than this group? Are there other groups you check in on? Do you use the site to track your food or track your weight? Do you use the Nutrition tab to check on the quality of your choices? Do you track steps or activity here? Search for recipes or workout routines? Or is this just used as your connection to the GoaD alumni association?

(I typed this yesterday, and swear I entered it. I remember editing the title, because I had to correct “they” to “the”. Somehow, it’s not here today. 🤯)

Replies

• misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,177 Member
    Options
    I use MFP to track my meals, weight, and for GoaD. I only use the free services, not the subsription ones. I was disappointed to realize they've moved the bar code scanner behind the paywall. However, I remain quite happy with their food database.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I use it for GOAD, the caloric and micro tracking, which changes whenever the doctor wants to see what I'm getting in a particular micro.
  • crewahl
    Options
    Hmm . . . sort of a theme here?

I use MFP for GoaD. I also double-track here as well as WW, and I do it to get the insight from the Nutrition tab. I track my weight here as well, but only because I’ve created a defined window of time to see the graphic. Other than that, the only thing I look at is I follow along (lurk, really) on the Beyond Beer & Burgers group of WW alumni.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I use MFP for GoaD and to record my Friday weigh-ins. My WI graph is cuurrently a nice, steady, downhill slope. Great positive reinforcement.
  • Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 728 Member
    edited March 27
    Options
    I don't use MFP except for GoaD, from which I've been on break from active participation for a year and a half. I use the Cronometer app as a nutrition tracker. I followed this group from WW after the forums were eliminated and replaced by Connect. I was in another group on WW back then which followed Judith Beck's CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy) approach to diet. I found that very useful and still use her book. I've heard from subscribers that NOOM is very similar in its approach to weight loss. I was never an in-person WW meeting attender. Online only. WW has shifted major resources to the pharmaceutical treatment of obesity. Not for me, and I cant' afford to spend a substantial chunk of each month's Social Security payment on the new drugs
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I use it for Goad and for tracking meals, but thats about it.
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    Like Charlie, I double track. Here and WW.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I, too, am a WW exile and followed GOAD over here. I gave up my Facebook (and all other social media) over the past few years, so this is my only connection to the old group. I do not follow any other groups on MFP.

I also track my daily weights on MFP, because it's the easiest way to see the trends (I also jot down my weight in my running log book).

Past that, I don't use MFP for anything else, nor do I participate in any other weight-related websites, apps, programs, etc.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    Other than GOAD & the motivation board I only use the calculators to figure calorie targets. I tried logging on MFP but still prefer pen & paper it comes to that.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,936 Member
    Options
    I to followed GoaD over from WW and fire years track my coloric contents for years but discontinued a couple of years back tracking every food item I ate.

I really need to return back to tracking the calories.
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    imastar2 wrote: »
    I to followed GoaD over from WW and fire years track my coloric contents for years but discontinued a couple of years back tracking every food item I ate.

I really need to return back to tracking the calories.

Tracking is usually the BEST way to weight control. The tracker here in MFT is very good, in my estimation. I also track WW. Can make for "interesting" days.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Like others, I came here from the Goad WW board. I frequently use the tracker and the database to look up foods. I've used the recipe builder for things I frequently cook and have found that useful once you get the hang of it. I track my weight in MFP and recently took the painfully slow step of entering all my weights from WW website into MFP. (Please, hold your applause.)

I only participate on the GOAD page, but I frequently visit the Success Stories and Fitness and Exercise page to lurk or "like" someone's story. BTW, there are a number of very knowledgeable folks on the Fitness and Exercise board who take time to give detailed answers.
  • crewahl
    Options
    whathapnd wrote: »
    I frequently visit the Success Stories and Fitness and Exercise page to lurk or "like" someone's story. BTW, there are a number of very knowledgeable folks on the Fitness and Exercise board who take time to give detailed answers.

Good to know - I may browse over there some time. 👍🏻