Active April Challenge 2024

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
edited March 27 in Social Groups
It's Active April, folks.
The word "active" is a loaded word.
Not only can it apply to exercise, but it can also mean "characterized by action rather than by contemplation or speculation."

Time to get fit or act on your goals, whatever they may be.
Increase your NEAT, do one of the bazillion YouTube vids and workout streaming services, hit the gym, enjoy the weather and walk or hike (whenever it's actually nice in the Spring, easier said than done!) And for non-exercise goals, start actively pursuing them as best you can with what you have to work with. Don't let "perfect" be the enemy of "better". Improvements, even if they're slight or baby steps, are still progress.

We can do this!
No need to make your "heart gargle in your throat." Unless that's what you're into. ;) Or to win all the life trophies.
Active April is about making your goal an improvement in your fitness or life. As Elizabeth Benton always says, "Whatever constitutes an improvement for YOU. Do that."

So whether you want to train for a 5k or 10k, sleep better, get more serious about logging, start HIITing your head off, or just start exercising, period, it's all good.
If your exercise is already on-point, but you'd like to increase your daily NEAT burn, that's a great target as well. (What is NEAT, consult this thread from which I have been inspired: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1)

Go ahead and post your goals.
Update us daily and receive encouragement, workout suggestions, and support from your compatriots in the challenge.
Go get it! Make change!

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    OK. I’m in!

For inspiration I would like to recommend the YouTube channel ProWalks

Great for people who do treadmill or stationary bike riding.
    A gentle and otherwise kinda’ boring workout on the treadmill can be transformed into walking through Milan in the evening, or a rowdy day on the beach in Rio de Janero.

Wanna visit Pompeii? Here’s your chance!
    https://youtube.com/@ProWalks?si=iBMG8JYkUdd7W8LK
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I've gotten way off track...again. To start, I just want to walk at least 30 minutes 5 times a week and work up to couch to 5k...again.

I walk like to walk on my treadmill and watch a show. It's a good way to binge a show. Save it only for walks. It makes you want to walk so you can see the next episode.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,105 Member
    Options
    I am in. I will set my goals after Easter is done.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Goal for the month:

1) Lose 2 pounds.
    2) Stick with exercise program.
    3) Fast 24-48 hours twice in the month. I have gotten out of the practice of fasting other than in terms of time restricted eating. It was helpful to me in terms of increasing focus, and reminding me that what I easily thing is hunger is actually just boredom or stress.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    My mood is going with the gloomy weather and it's been harder to feel motivated but here are my April goals.

Do 20 min of ANY workout in the morning before starting my job
    Continue with my strength training
    Add some outdoor walks weather permitting
    More daily NEAT (get back to setting an hourly alarm on my phone to MOVE)
    Log daily check ins here to keep myself on track
  • LauraLake_Luna
    LauraLake_Luna Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    😍Desire: To feel vibrant, energetic, and easeful in my movements.

♻️Routine: Start my day with a walk, power vocals, and meditation

🎯Goal: Lose around 55 pounds which is about 20% body fat by the time I turn 40 next year

✅️Tasks: Write down everything I eat everyday, finish my 14-day trial with Lisa Nichols morning workout, be in bed by 10pm
  • rileysowner
    Options
    It was a good week in general. I exercised 5 of the last 7 days. I kept up with my lifting program. I ate Keto. The only downside was yesterday. While I ate keto, I ate WAY too much. My appetite was out of control. Today I don't seem to be hungry, so hopefully that continues. I am usually an OMAD eater, so if this continues, I will hopefully be able to stick to my calorie goal. Maybe I will be feeling full enough that I will make it into a 24-hour fast.
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    4/8/24
    SW-178
    CW-176
    GW-172

Do 20 min of ANY workout in the morning before starting my job-got in10 min
    Continue with my strength training-trainer session at lunch today
    Add some outdoor walks weather permitting-hopefully tomorrow
    More daily NEAT (get back to setting an hourly alarm on my phone to MOVE)-so far so good
    Log daily check ins here to keep myself on track- slacking but I'm here today

I prelogged all my food and activity for today. I may add that as a goal as well.
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    4/9/24

Do 20 min of ANY workout in the morning before starting my job-nothing today
    Continue with my strength training- mini sets of shoulders, tri's and bi's throughout the day
    Add some outdoor walks weather permitting-walk planned after work
    More daily NEAT (get back to setting an hourly alarm on my phone to MOVE)-less so far today
    Log daily check ins here to keep myself on track- 2 for 2 this week
    Pre-logged food and activity for the day-Food yes, activity not yet.

Beautiful day, I may do a C25K session :)
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    4/12/24

Struggling to get on here daily or do any activity before work. NEAT is going well though and pre-logging my food. I'll take it for now.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    This week went well. I decided to try a chiropractor for my back issues. It seems to be helping, although most of the help is from the exercises he has me doing, but when he manipulates my back, it does loosen up what is tight.
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    Back and tricep work at the trainer's on lunch, mobilize/yoga tonight before dinner. need to carry that momentum forward.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Back and tricep work at the trainer's on lunch, mobilize/yoga tonight before dinner. need to carry that momentum forward.

Great job! Keep going. You can do this.
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    I normally do really well with food. That is until I have a heavy mental load. With so much on my mind the past week, I did things like eat oreos for breakfast one day. Now that I've conquered a few demons, I'm back into my routine. A beautiful day today means I can get outside for a walk.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    This was a good week except for last night. For some reason I had a stomach that would not be satisfied, so I ate more than I would like. I did stay Keto, so that is a win, but the calories were really high by the end of the day. I guess the other positive is I am still feeling full this morning still even after a really intense workout. That is the other positive of this week. I started a new workout program that is more of a traditional strength and muscle building program focusing on compound lifts. I was expecting more DOMS with the change, but while I had a little, it was nothing like I expected. The workout takes generally a little more than an hour three times a week, and I plan on following it for 6 weeks or so. My weight was going well until this morning, but that is a result of my excessive eating last night, so I am sure it will pass.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Another update. Things are going well. Activity wise, my current lifting program is going well. My strength is going up nicely, and it is nice pushing heavier weights for lower repetitions again. I really pushed on Saturday, knowing I had Sunday and Monday as rest days. Doing that resulted in more DOMS than I have had in a fairly long time, but nothing like I have experienced. I know people who claim eating low carb/keto/carnivore reduced DOMS, but I am still on the fence as to whether that is the case. Either way, I was definitely holding water weight which seems to have now decreased. I am doing fairly well overall in terms of remaining active even on my rest days with walks, bike rides, and the like.

Another goal I had was doing at least two longer fasts. This month I have done two fasts of at least 48 hours. They went extremely well, and have helped renew my sense of what I feel like when hungry rather than just bored.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    It is something about Saturdays. I feel like I am always hungry today. I did something I don't usually do, namely I ate a meal early in the day. That seemed to do nothing to deal with my hunger, so I ended up eating a lot more than I intended. That means I am basically out of calories for a significant meal later. It does tell me that sticking to my OMAD pattern is probably the best in terms of keeping my calories where I want them. On the positive side, I did have a decent workout even though I didn't have a lot of energy for it at the start.