Meaningful, Motivating March!

Options

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,896 Member
    Options
    Nanc, the best thing about the Mary's Mini is it's easy to go back to for a week if you start sliding into bad habits again. I have done 4 or 5 days of it at least once a month for a few years now.

Glad this week is almost over. It has been rough and I have a lot on my mind so I keep making dumb mistakes. I need a weekend away from there and hoping I can just work from home. I don't think there's anything that will require me to be in the office.

• magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,765 Member
    Options
    Gosh, M...I am so sorry things are rough for you...I had two terrible days at work...nothing like the extended time you deal with...but they were bad ...things are better now...but gosh, I am looking forward to retirement.

I have a three year plan in place. I don't want the time to go fast, since I hate seeing my life wiz on by...but it will be so wonderful to be home with LULU all the time and me getting to enjoy the place where I live...the pool and all the activities.

I am making huge extra mortgage payments so my car and house should be paid off by May 2027. That's my goal.

I am on an Amazon diet as well, as QVC and any other dopey shopping I get into. The mary's mini helps, because you use up exactly what you need. It's cheap. NO more buying convenience vegan food helps too.

My freezer is so empty. Everything is fresh except for frozen veg and fruit.

Thanks for the tip on Mary's Mini. I can see how it just helps so much when you need to tighten things up a bit.

I am loving having my bean burrito again. I plan on doing a 10-day MM at the beginning of each month.

It does a couple of things...well maybe three.

1. Makes life easier as far as decision making goes...I am not into all the recipes...so potatoes and veg is really what I am about.
    2. Saves money...buy what you need...and ten pounds of potatoes at Costco is not even five dollars. Huge tubs of spinach and asparagus and broccoli as well. Oh and peppers and cukes...oh and carrots. That is a money saver right there.
    3. And of course, I hope to lose a few pounds each time...and not gain them back. Slowly getting to my goal.

Today
    still black coffee
    bean burrito no cheese (hope to find time this weekend to make Hot For Food nacho cheese)
    potatoes and broc
    spinach and potatoes and a bit of air fried tofu
    HONEY CRISP apple. I had one yesterday from TJ's ...oh for heaven's sake...soooooooooo good.

Have a great day everyone.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Hello friends,

I have spent the last hour catching up on everyone.

Mihani happy belated birthday! Sounds as if you had a great party!

Carla - I love your beautiful baskets. You are a talented artist. How is the sewing going? Did you get a new sewing machine?

Magic - I love that you set a 3 year goal. Time goes by so quickly. Good for you dumping the processed vegan foods. Having Celiacs I discovered from the nutrition counseling that they are not that healthy…full of flour fillers and sugar. The gluten free processed foods are worse. Full of sugar.

Marilyn - I am sorry to hear about your health problems. Hugs and prayers.

We had an amazing trip to southern Italy. Highlight was 4 days in Sicily. My friend’snew husband is a Military Financial officer. (Police investigation of mafia😳). He is not Sicilian but had lived in Sicily for 27 years and owns a house there. Sicily was beautiful. We stayed in Catania, went to Mt Etna, Valley of the Temples, Castemola, Siracusa and Santa Lucia. Then came back to my friend’s house in Formia. Took the one hour train into Rome by ourselves for 2 nights. Did the hop on hop off bus to see the major sights. (Glad we finally saw Rome during off season). My friend Sarah the veterinarian took the train down from northern Italy and met us in Rome. Back to Formia and off to the Amalfi coast! Had amazing gluten free pizza and pasta. Lots of gelato ! I gained 1 lb ! I was sure I was packing on the weight. It might have been fluid gain as I have lost 3 lbs since we are back in one week. Plus a head cold and all I want is my vegetable soup. Oh and I am addicted to fresh fennel. My friend buys a bulb and chops it up into salads.

Now for the concerning news: Brooks’ PSA level is up again and Urologist referred him to Radiation Oncologist. In the next 4-5 years if we can keep all his cancers in remission his prognosis is good but lately it seems like that game whack a mole. Things keep popping up. He wants to travel as much s possible. We leave for Finland in 6 weeks.

Ciao for now.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Your trip sounds wonderful, Bisky! Prayers for Brooks and you.

Nanc, you are really tackling a lot of things that are going to pay off! I cleaned out my freezer last week too. I tend to freeze soups and then forget about them, so I just threw them all out because who knows how long they were in there. What a waste. Since I don't really cook anymore and eat mostly the food from the grab and go place, it has made life easier.

I am making potatoes mashed with greens today though. I love mashed potatoes. Kind of the ultimate comfort food.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Your trip sounds like it was a wonderful adventure, bisky! Please keep us posted about Brooks *big hugs*
  • magic71755
    edited March 24
    Options
    Bisky, what a great trip you had...super friends to share it with. Prayers up for your husband and you...please keep us posted.

Made homemade yogurt yesterday...put lemon in one to make "sour cream". I did use soy milk (water and soybeans) for my mashed potatoes. I made some, too, M! For dinner, I put a bunch of spinach in a sistema cup, big one, and then topped with mashed and microwaved for 2-3 minutes. Plus a bit of air fried tofu and that was dinner.

today:
    Coffee, black

Steamed Broccoli 🥦 and Japanese sweet potato. Bought them at Trader Joe's. Good Lord, are they ever good. I scrubbed really well and them cut them into big pieces ...baked at 425 about 35 minutes…passed the squish test and they were done. Super sweet. And the left overs were YUM, cold.

apple

bean burrito

spinach, mashed and tofu

nice cream for dessert

HAGDE!
  • magic71755
    Options
    I tried making homemade oil free granola today...from The Whole Food Plant Based Cooking Show...she calls it banana granola. FAIL. Never got crispy...got burn and still not crispy...weird. tossed it.

the yogurt turned out amazing. it is a bit runny...not 'greek' style. I did drain some of the liquid out of two pints using a colander and it made it thicker. the flavor is spot on. NO more store bought for sure.

a very lazy day...could not fall asleep last night...finally at 12:30 and was up at 3:30. made for a miserable today. boo hoo.

ttyl hagd
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hi all, spent the day at the office then a visit with family. I did load up on good stuff from the grab and go yesterday. So glad I have this to take care of nutrition while I face the end of tax season and some other stressful things going on in life.

B - ezekiel toast with tahini
    L - brussels sprouts salad, mashed potatoes
    D - hummus, pita, falafel (dinner w/ family and so worth every bite!)

You are having fun with your cooking adventures, Nanc! Never tried to make my own yogurt but it sounds intriguing.

Need to get a little more work done in the home office, change the sheets on the bed, and get to bed early.

• magic71755
    edited March 25
    Options
    Easy Peazy recipe for yogurt by vegan Blueberry’s blog.

M! ❤️
    Cultures for health packet vegan yogurt…buy from Thrive Market or AMAZON
    64 oz Westsoy soy milk
    Insta pot 12-14 hours
    4, 16 oz mason jars
    Done! ❤️

Foods to choose from this week
    Japanese baked potato
    Russet
    Bean burritos
    Frozen green beans
    Frozen Broccoli
    Fresh Broccoli
    Salad
    Fresh Spinach
    French Fries
    Tofu
    Apple
    Grapes
    Tasso stuffed olives
    HOMEMADE YOGURT

Hope things get worked out ok, M 🥰🥰🥰
  • magic71755
    Options
    today

coffee, black (but I am soaking almonds to try and make creamer)...just almonds and water, but the ratio is 2/1 water to almonds instead of 4/1 when making milk.

bean burrito-breakfast

snack: very small bowl of oats and yogurt...need to let sit for about two hours, but it will work...I am giving up on granola...just added raw oats, walnuts, cinnamon today...but in the future, fruit and flax

spinach and mashed potatoes-lunch

salad and fries-dinner

ninja creamini-dessert

lights out.

HAGDE!
  • magic71755
    Options

today...

coffee (almond milk/cream homemade if I have time to make it in the morning)
    bean burrito
    salad and left over baked
    apple
    mashed and spinach
    ninja creamini pineapple and I added soy milk to the mixture...looking forward to this.

hagde!

• bisky
    edited March 26
    Options
    It was Feb 2023 that I realized I was at an all time high. Needed to lose 100lbs! Between Covid twice, not exercising, anemia, Menier’s disease, Celiacs, hiatal hernia and high carb junk foods I realized I needed to make serious changes. I was eating a lot of processed gluten free snacks high in sugar, no nutritional value and snacking constantly. I made appointments with a nutritionist and eating disorder therapist. Since then I traded snacking junk foods for nuts and fruits, practiced portion control and increased water intake.. Eliminated most processed foods. I have lost 72 lbs and 28 to go. Equals 5 lbs a month. It has been very slow, not exciting weight loss. I also did not do a lot of “hard” exercise. Walked everyday, occasionally swam or rode stationary bike to strengthen my legs. I was feeling a bit down because in the last 3 months I have only lost 3 lbs. I reviewed my eating journal with therapist and she pointed out I got through the holidays with no weight gain. I went on a cruise with fantastic food and lost a lb. Stressful visit with sister and no weight gain despite gluten free cookies. Went to Italy and gained 1 lb. I have since lost 3 lbs as I am back on a very clean diet and walking routine. I guess I am sharing this, not to brag but sometimes to say not gaining the weight back is a win. The first picture was almost a year ago in April and I had lost 10 lbs. Second picture was this weekend on the hunt for Bluebonnets. 1ubmd5zrts9s.jpeg
    530e5sabi75h.jpeg

I have never lost weight so slowly but I have always gained weight back quickly. I still love chocolate, chips and cookies but not daily. I cut way back on alcohol except for special occasions. My biggest friend is pistachio nuts…which is actually a seed. I buy them in a few different flavors shelled or unshelled. My nutritionist said I could have as much as I wanted as most nuts and seed pass through undigested in both humans and animals. They do fill me up. So even though they are considered fattening they don’t add a lot of calories and provide good fats, protein, vitamins and minerals.
  • magic71755
    Options
    Inspiring! Great work, Bisky! 🎊🔥🎊
  • Mihani
    Options
    You are awesome, Bisky! Thanks for sharing that story. I often get on myself about the constant struggle to lose that last 20 to 25 pounds, and don't give myself credit for not gaining back the 70+ that I lost. It has been 10 years. :)

Had some brussels sprouts salad and mashed potatoes earlier today, a plain bagel out and about this afternoon, and will have some lentil stew with a little more mashed potatoes for dinner.
  • bisky
    Options
    Mihani - you have kept 70 lbs off for 10 years? That is fantastic. I try not to live in fear that I will gain the weight back but everytime I am away from my scales I am sure I have gained 5-10 lbs.

Magic - thank you. I know you two have done a wonderful job with keeping all the weight you lost off too.

The only processed food I am not ready to give up on are the protein shakes. I just have more energy from them.
  • magic71755
    edited March 27
    Options
    Thanks, Bisky! Yup, in 2003 I weighed 240. I got down to 135 in 2009 and my highest jump was 157...now I am between 143-145. Goal is back to 135. Ridiculously difficult.

today

coffee with my homemade almond creamer (1/2 ratio using vitamix and nutbag)
    bean burrito
    big salad, romaine, carrots, purple cabbage, cukes, beets, asparagus and Japanese potatoes
    honey crisp apple
    home for dinner ... French fries and broc
    dessert pineapple ninja creamini

Ok, so I bought sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds (hate the pumpkin seeds -- tossed them), but the sunflower seeds were supposed to be for salad and the granola, I gave up on.

Yesterday, a small portion of sunflower seeds in my salad. That was good.

Got home and got INTO THE SUNFLOWER seeds...kinda big time...not crazy big time, but way more than I should. IN THE TRASH THEY GO.

I still have binge eating tendencies with certain things. Recognizing them and keeping those food out of the house is best for me.
    HAGDE! lvrg2om24cq2.png

• magic71755
    edited March 28
    Options
    I am sleeping straight through...but only five hours...but it is NOT interrupted, which is a huge improvement.

Loving my coffee creamer...only almonds and water...and then I put it in a frother that heats the milk. Great $ savings and so much better for me.

today's plan
    coffee
    bean burrito
    Japanese sweet potato
    salad* ... asparagus, romaine, beets, carrots, purple cabbage, cukes, air fried tofu, fresh mint and basil
    honey crisp apple
    ninja pineapple creamini

lights out

*on the salad, FYI I prepped the carrots, cukes and purple cabbage on the weekend so all I had to do was the salad together. I cut the cukes in rounds...organic English, so they did not get mushy. I shredded the carrots and sliced the purple cabbage into "shreds". I did this on Monday and all is still fresh. I used Lock and Lock containers. The Romaine, I washed, chopped and spun it in the salad spinner and then paper towel lined a container so it was ready to go. It lasted two days. Made a new batch last night.
    HAGDE! wzpedneayujz.png

• bisky
    Options
    Magic - that is smart to toss things that cause binges. Mine would be any type of chips, crackers or cookies. That is amazing weight loss and maintenance.

I am not much of a chef. I made a good spring vegetable soup with white beans. Not enough broth. I got out the rice cooker and have served it over 1/4 cup of jasmine rice. Very satisfying.

Hosting an Easter Brunch but kinda irritated. Planned on 8 people including a guy from Brooks’ work and his girlfriend. Girlfriend has a teenager she wants to bring. It is a sit down brunch, not a potluck. Not kid friendly junk food. Spring salad, roasted asparagus, mimosas, egg bites, honey baked ham, muffins and friend buying individual nice desserts. Forgive me but I don’t want an unknown teenager. I picture sullen, disinterested, and rude. That is not the Easter spirit I should have. I have not met the teenager or girlfriend.

• Mihani
    Options
    Great job planning, prepping, eating, Nanc! Too bad you didn't like the pumpkin seeds. I love those, and sunflower and sesame and chia... all the seeds! LOL

Bisky, that is pretty rude, but I'm sure you will handle it with grace as always. Maybe she will be one of those rare delightful teenagers.

I am still dealing with stuff I don't want to deal with here. Not much appetite but trying to eat little bits through the day. I got some power greens and going to start having smoothies in the morning so at least I'm getting a good start to the day.

• magic71755
    Options
    You're being very mysterious, M! Kinda concerned...let us know if there is anything we can do. Hugs, kiddo.

today
    coffee
    bean burrito
    salad with tofu, beets, cukes, carrots, cabbage, romaine
    Japanese sweet potato and asparagus (I steam the asparagus in the morning, and have it cold at work)
    French Fries and broc for dinner
    pineapple creamini

HAGDE!

I know I am going to miss my bean burrito once I start MM again on Monday...but I am looking for that very simple meal plan for ten days...so it's ok.