This April I Will (Sit Less!)

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited March 31 in Social Groups
hpg6dauawxwa.jpg

I was inspired by Kathy's suggestion that we focus on mindfulness in March. Even though I didn't hit the mindful mark every day -- because it was my focus for March, I was more mindful throughout the month than I would have been otherwise. Building new habits is hard and it usually requires a more sustained effort than just one month. There's no magical 21 days for habit building! I’ll be having an Aware April, to springboard off of our Mindful March. 😊

I have a new suggestion for you for this April, one that both Kathy and I prioritize and we think is worthy of your focus this month.

This month I’d like to challenge you to join us in sitting less. You are no doubt aware that being sedentary is disastrous for our health. It takes a toll on us physically and mentally. Sitting too much has a clear and unambiguous impact in raising our risk for heart disease, diabetes, several types of cancers, and mental health challenges such as anxiety and depression. Bluntly put, being sedentary is the shortcut to the cemetery.

But it's more than that. Excessive sitting shortens our lives, but it also reduces the quality of the years we do have. Much of the sitting we do puts us in a passive mode, of watching others do interesting things on TV, instead of actively living our own lives, pursuing our passions, goals, and unique talents. No one tells their hospice nurse at the end of their life that they wish they had watched more TV.

Don't get me wrong. I do plenty of sitting throughout the day! But I also take plenty of sitting breaks and that's the game changer I hope to inspire you to implement daily this April if you haven't already.

How can we sit less?
• When working at your computer, set a timer to stand up, shift position, stretch or walk around every 30 to 40 minutes. This is a vital step! Uninterrupted sitting is horrible for your health.
• Does it have to be done while seated? Can you pace around the room while chatting on the phone? Stand up while you read over that draft email? Can you put your tablet on the kitchen island and stand while surfing the internet?
• Find an activity you enjoy that will have you up and moving for at least 22 minutes a day. Why 22 minutes? Because done every day, 22 minutes mushrooms into 154 minutes a week. Congratulations! You’ve just met the public health guideline of 150 minutes of moderate exercise every week.
• Look for opportunities to add in a few more minutes of activity each day. Parking further away & taking the stairs instead of the elevator may seem trivial, but they’re not.

If you're new here, welcome to our group! Let us help you with your new beginnings. Share your goals for April and how we can help you achieve them. Pro tip: set regular reminders to check in with us – be it daily, weekly, or whatever suits your schedule. We’re here to cheer you on every step of the way!

For those who have just joined, you are starting at the perfect time - NOW! Jump in and begin to blossom with the spring flowers.

So, what’s on your healthy to-do list for April? We recommend framing your goals along these lines:

1. My goal for this month (This April I will...)
2. The small, actionable steps I plan to take towards this goal
3. My reminder or cue to keep up with my habit
5. My reward for maintaining the habit (anything from a self-compliment to a mark on the calendar)
6. How can we support you?
7. What will success look like at the end of April?

Let's make April a month of movement, motivation, and seeing how much better we feel in May after a month of sitting less!

🌷Denise & 🌻 Kathy
@77tes, @themedalist

Please review our Newcomer’s Guide and our Nuts and Bolts of Habit Building as they will help you get started.

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,130 Member
    Options
    @themedalist
    I like your opener for April. I’m a great believer in NEAT (Non-exercise activity thermogenesis) It’s one of the ways I get in my daily exercise. I have walk reminders on my phone, and get up and walk around during ad breaks when I watch TV.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,845 Member
    edited April 2
    Options
    It’s a good month to spring from our chairs! I love the challenge. Thanks for the reminder to just grab some movement when I have a chance instead of waiting until I have the time for a real walk or a workout. In fact, as soon as I started reading your post @themedalist I jumped onto my stationary bike. 🚴
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,005 Member
    Options
    Along these lines, I'm getting back to walking round the house or even around the neighborhood when in phone calls with friends. I don’t even think about the exercise!!
  • TerriRichardson112
    Options

Potted Bio - 2024
    Terri: Female; 77; living in Northern Ireland; married 57 years; 2 daughters, 3 adult grands; ex Maths teacher; volunteer group leader for U3A (University of the Third Age, life-long learning charity)
    SW: 227 (Mar 2014)
    In maintenance: August 2017
    LW: 131.2 (December 2022)
    GW: 130 < 140
    Moving forward ……
    🐣🐥🪺🌱🌿🌱🪺🐥🐣
    🐣🐥 April 2024 🐥🐣
    🐣🐥🪺🌱🌿🌱🪺🐥🐣
    I am a person who values the health and fitness of my body, mind, and spirit

Habits keep me going when motivation flags.

This month I will …..
    April focus:
    🛌 😴 Improving Sleep schedule
    In April I am …..
    … getting into bed before midnight > 4 nights a week
    To help me do this I am …..
    … switching off devices at 11.15pm
    … using breathing meditation to switch off brain chatter
    By the end of April I will …..
    … have improved my Fitbit sleep score
    😴

📌Consolidating Solid Habits
    🪴
    Great Oaks from little acorns grow!
    vr1awsjfroqv.jpeg

Daily Solid Habits:
    (Developed over time)
    💎Right This Minute: Anti procrastination strategy
    💎Just DO it!!!
    Morning Routines:
    💎Daily Meditation
    💎Walk/Make beds/Shiny Sinks
    💎Post Sole Mates steps
    💎Weigh 130 < 140/log
    💎Monitor %age Fat/Muscle
    💎Log CI<CO/Balance macros
    💎Herbal tea/supplements
    💎Self care
    💎Quality time with DH
    💎Ablutions/dress/Shiny sinks
    💎Breakfast
    In between:
    💎Intentional exercise > 60 minutes
    💎Cardio > 5500 steps
    💎Strength > 15 minutes
    💎Flex > 15 minutes
    💎Active hours > 6
    💎Zone minutes > 150 (per week)
    💎Declutter > 15 minutes
    💎Daily chores
    💎paint/draw/write/read
    💎Craft/crochet
    💎General chores
    💎Gardening
    💎jigsaw/puzzles/TV favourites
    💎Meet with friends
    💎Quality family time
    Evening Routines:
    💎Sole Mates evening reminder
    💎JGM10Ds/JFT/UAC/Hogwarts
    💎Close Fitbit rings/Zone minutes
    💎Building Healthy Habits
    💎Duolingo Latin
    💎Update Women over 50
    💎Clutter Sweep
    YOU are worth the effort!

🧝🏻‍♀️Terri 🕊️
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Calories ❤️❤️ baby steps work for me
    Cut lunch & dinner calories to 400.
    Steps ❤️❤️ 5,322
    Sat fat ❤️❤️
    Sodium ❤️ 1,750 good enough

So nice when one gets back in the groove.
    NO mouth hunger today. YAY

I STILL find it fascinating that salt jacks up my food intake. Biggest surprise of my now 7-1/4 year journey.
  • TerriRichardson112
    Options

Potted Bio - 2024
    Terri: Female; 77; living in Northern Ireland; married 57 years; 2 daughters, 3 adult grands; ex Maths teacher; volunteer group leader for U3A (University of the Third Age, life-long learning charity)
    Moving forward ……
    🐣🐥🪺🌱🌿🌱🪺🐥🐣
    🐣🐥 April 2024 🐥🐣
    🐣🐥🪺🌱🌿🌱🪺🐥🐣

This month I will …..
    April focus:
    In April I am …..
    😴😴😴

🪴🪴
    vr1awsjfroqv.jpeg

Daily Solid Habits:
    (Developed over time)
    💎Just DO it!!!
    Morning Routines:
    💎Daily Meditation
    💎Post Sole Mates steps
    💎Weigh 130 < 140/log
    💎Monitor %age Fat/Muscle
    💎Herbal tea/supplements
    💎Self care
    💎Quality time with DH
    💎Breakfast
    In between:
    💎Cardio > 5500 steps
    💎Strength > 15 minutes
    💎Flex > 15 minutes
    💎Active hours > 6
    💎Declutter > 15 minutes
    💎Daily chores
    💎paint/draw/write/read
    💎Craft/crochet
    💎General chores
    💎Gardening
    💎Meet with friends
    💎Quality family time
    Evening Routines:
    💎Building Healthy Habits
    💎Duolingo Latin
    💎Update Women over 50
    💎Clutter Sweep

🧝🏻‍♀️Terri 🕊️

• MadisonMolly2017
    edited April 4
    Options
    Today is one of those days that makes the preceding difficult days (getting back on track) worth it. Hunger was slower than my meals instead of ahead. Regular mealtimes help me with that I guess!!

I received my new phone & watch (both were 7-8 years old) & an app I depend on could not load due to my old operating system.

It took 5 days to get the apps and phone & watch to all work together, but now I’m all set!

Calories❤️ low 1380
    Sat fat❤️ 8g low
    Sodium❤️ low 1380mg
    Steps 2800 & still a few hours to go!!
    Weekly average 3,800

It was worth all the white knuckling, baby steps towards health, and problem
    solving. Tomorrow will likely be more difficult but I DO enjoy magical days like today!

• 77tes
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 Yay for the new phone and watch! That’s going to be make tracking a bit more fun. Interesting about the sodium thing.

@TerriRichardson112 , getting to bed earlier is a great goal. My household is an early to bed one, but my sister is quite the opposite.

So far I’m sitting less this month. I’m trying to grab a bit of intentional movement whenever I am waiting for something. It’s hard to track , but I figure my steps/ miles on the bike and long term my health will be my progress.

1. This April I will add more intentional exercise to my day.
    2. The small, actionable steps I plan to take towards this goal.
    3. My reminder or cue to keep up with my habit - whenever I’m waiting for something or someone I will do some exercise.
    5. My reward for maintaining the habit - less frustration at being stuck inside during the best time of the year ( nice weather and no bugs)
    6. How can we support you? Cheer me on
    7. What will success look like at the end of April? More miles on the bike, steps on my Fitbit, stronger muscles, and better health overall.

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @77tes
    As always, you have created another impactful I Will that I know you will hit out of the ballpark!❣️

• MadisonMolly2017
    edited April 4
    Options
    1. This April I will work on decreasing phone usage at bedtime & creating a set bedtime routine. Essential for health.
    2. The small, actionable steps I plan to take towards this goal.
    9:30 When my pill alarm goes off at 9:30pm I will brush my teeth, finish any remaining clean-up in kitchen, start dishwasher, get in bedclothes, refill water at bedside, select my book.
    9:45-10 say goodnight to my husband who falls asleep at 10
    At 10 when final pill reminder goes off, I will remind myself that I am going to sleep soon.
    At 10:30 I will place my phone on its charger for the night. I will snuggle into bed with my book.
    At 11:15 after a bathroom trip, I will put down the book, place my watch in charging station & turn off bedside light. I will Leave hall Door open so there is a bit more light in the room.I will take some deep relaxing breathes. I will remind myself to relax my body and my mind by staying present & most things are out of my control so let them go and get a good nights sleep. I will Repeat, it’s a perfect night for a Good Night’s sleep.

Just as you didn’t like mealtimes & now realize they help you eat properly, learning to use a set bedtime will help you conquer your final challenge.

But what do I do if I can’t fall asleep? A little voice says. Ask yourself, am I sleepy/tired, but fighting it? Remind yourself you have Revenge sleep
    procrastination because your parents kept you up VERY late & there is always more you want to do but the research is clear, you will be healthier with sleep.

As long as you are asleep by 1pm you will get your 7 hours. So relax. After a week or two I bet you fall asleep right away! 11:15 is a great bedtime for you. The first few days might well be the most difficult. Hang in there
    Note, if you find yourself picking up phone, move charger across the room.

4. My reminder or cue to keep up with my habit - when my husband goes to sleep at 10, I will remind myself that it’s almost time for me to as well. I will set a 10:30 alarm to put phone on charger.
    5. My reward for maintaining the habit :!more rested, less concern that my lack of sleep will negatively impact my health which is a stressor.

Tangible reward: I will earn $0.50 each night I sleep 12-7AM or longer towards a new ring that will remind me that I conquered my final health issue. But the amt per night will go up each night. So 2 nights in a row will result in $1 that night. 3 nights in a row $1.50 that night. So you could earn anywhere from 0 to $14 towards your goal per week.
    6. How can we support you? Cheer me on
    7. What will success look like at the end of April?

I will have conquered my longtime procrastination of sleep & have the funds to purchase a new ring to wear proudly.

Thur
    Fri
    Sat
    Sun
    Mon
    Tues
    Wed

• TerriRichardson112
    edited April 4
    Options
    Potted Bio - 2024
    Moving forward ……
    🐣🐥🪺🌱🌿🌱🪺🐥🐣
    🐣🐥🪺 April 2024 🪺🐥🐣
    🐣🐥🪺🌱🌿🌱🪺🐥🐣

This month I will …..
    April focus:
    In April I am …..
    😴😴😴😴
    It’s early days yet, but so far I have stuck to my shutdown. And been in bed by midnight. Tonight it is just after 10pm and I am already winding down, and getting my evening posts out of the way.

🪴🪴🪴🪴
    vr1awsjfroqv.jpeg

Daily Solid Habits:
    (Developed over time)
    💎Just DO it!!!
    Morning Routines:
    💎Daily Meditation
    💎Post Sole Mates steps
    💎Weigh 130 < 140/log
    💎Monitor %age Fat/Muscle
    💎Herbal tea/supplements
    💎Self care
    💎Quality time with DH
    💎Breakfast
    In between:
    💎Cardio > 5500 steps
    💎Strength > 15 minutes
    💎Flex > 15 minutes
    💎Active hours > 6
    💎Declutter > 15 minutes
    💎Daily chores
    💎paint/draw/write/read
    💎Craft/crochet
    💎General chores
    💎Gardening
    💎Meet with friends
    💎Quality family time
    Evening Routines:
    💎Building Healthy Habits
    💎Duolingo Latin
    💎Update Women over 50
    💎Clutter Sweep

🧝🏻‍♀️Terri 🕊️

• 77tes
    Options
    What a fabulous plan for your bedtime routine @MadisonMolly2017!

I added a daily reminder in my phone to do 10 squats and 10 pushups. These will be my short term waiting exercises. Hopefully that will be an effective cue.

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Fantastic! I do squats! Do you do pushups in the ground?
  • MadisonMolly2017
    edited April 5
    Options
    Maddie’s Bedtime routine -

1st edit (moved completion of evening jobs earlier.) & moved bedtime to 11pm, added list of things I usually do late that need to be done earlier, got more specific about Triggers for each step

8AM to 9;15PM complete things I used to do into the wee hours
    Duolingo
    Call friends
    Arm & 2X Leg exercises for the day
    Finalize calorie tracking
    Assess walking/steps
    post to MFP
    Art Classes
    News
    FB group
    email

9:15 Finish evening jobs
    Kitchen: any remaining clean-up in kitchen,
    start dishwasher, counters, sink
    Straighten art table
    Doors/lights

9:30 Take Pills & Get ready for bed 🛏️
    Trigger: Pill alarm
    Bathroom: brush teeth, refill water at bedside, brush hair
    Bedroom: select my book, turn off all but one light

9:45-10 Snuggle 🥰
    Trigger: 1st pull reminder alarm
    Dedicated Snuggle Time in bed with my husband who falls asleep at 10 (Relaxing, my reward)

10 Remind bedtime is approaching 👶🏻
    Trigger: final pill reminder goes off
    I will remind myself that I am going to sleep soon. 🥱 do relaxing things: educational videos, armchair travel, relaxation audio, affirmations

10:30 Disconnect -> Book 📚
    Trigger: tbd. (Don’t want to wake husband w alarm)
    I will place my phone and my watch on charger for the night.
    I will snuggle into bed with my book. (Relaxing, my reward)

11:00 Sweet Sleep 😴
    Trigger: bedside light turns off automatically
    Put down book, final bathroom trip, leave door slightly open for a bit more light in the room.

As needed:
    Deep relaxing 😌 breathes. I will remind myself to relax my body and my mind by staying present & most things are out of my control so let them go and get a good nights sleep. I will Repeat, “It’s a perfect night for a Good Night’s sleep.” Smile.

Just as you didn’t like mealtimes & now realize they help you eat properly, learning to use a set bedtime will help you conquer your final challenge.

But what do I do if I can’t fall asleep? A little voice says. Ask yourself, am I sleepy/tired, but fighting it? Remind yourself you have Revenge sleep
    procrastination because your parents kept you up VERY late & there is always more you want to do but the research is clear, you will be healthier with sleep.

As long as you are asleep by 1pm you will get your 7 hours. So relax. After a week or two I bet you fall asleep right away! 11:15 is a great bedtime for you. The first few days might well be the most difficult. Hang in there
    Note, if you find yourself picking up phone, move charger across the room.

Remember this is your last area you need to shift. You can do it! It will improve your health, energy level, mood, and likely your longevity!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    April 4 Bedtime
    👩🏻‍🍳 🪥 🥰 🛏️ 📚, 😴
    ♥️ ♥️ ♥️ ♥️ ♥️ ♥️. slept 11-7:40 $0.50 🥳

Worked well - everything was 15 mins later, and I was sleepy, so I ended up just going to sleep prior to reading early at 11.

Have amended the plan for tonight, which will be the real rest!!

Hopeful
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    What a fabulous plan for your bedtime routine @MadisonMolly2017!

I added a daily reminder in my phone to do 10 squats and 10 pushups. These will be my short term waiting exercises. Hopefully that will be an effective cue.

@77tes & @TerriRichardson112

Thanks for both your support & for modeling how it is done!! I haven’t really had routines until now. But I am finding our meal times, meal routines, exercise routines, and now this bedtime routine are actually Very Relaxing and allow me to focus on my family art friends learning etc

Thank you!

Very peaceful
  • 77tes
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 I can do pushups from the ground, but I usually do them against a counter.

The reminder seems to help me have something to track.
    Today I got to go to my meetup group at the park. Hooray !
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    What do you do at the park meetup, @77tes ?
  • MadisonMolly2017
    edited April 6
    Options
    April 5 Bedtime Day 2
    👩🏻‍🍳 🪥 🥰 🛏️ 📚, 😴
    ♥️ ♥️ ♥️ ♥️ ♥️ ♥️. slept 11-4:15, 5:00-7:45 $0.50 + $1.00 towards Celebratory Ring

Cleaned kitchen much earlier & did more decluttering in my Art Haven. Took items from one room to another especially up & down stairs.

Reviewed list of things I used to do after 10, and realized I’d skipped arm exercises. Did them while setting up playlist during rests between exercises.

Amended schedule was great.

Skipped reading again & fell asleep right away at 11 pm

I am so much more relaxed.

Will switch Official lights out to 11. Easy since the bedside light shuts off then (actually 10:53 LOL)

Hopeful & Surprised
    Maddie
  • TerriRichardson112
    Options

Potted Bio - 2024
    Moving forward ……
    🐣🐥🪺🌱🌿🌱🪺🐥🐣
    🐣🐥🪺 April 2024 🪺🐥🐣
    🐣🐥🪺🌱🌿🌱🪺🐥🐣

This month I will …..
    April focus:
    In April I am …..
    😴😴😴😴😴😴😴
    It’s early days yet, but so far I have stuck to my shutdown. And been in bed by midnight. Tonight it is just after 10pm and I am already winding down, and getting my evening posts out of the way.

🪴🪴🪴🪴🪴🪴
    vr1awsjfroqv.jpeg

Daily Solid Habits:
    (Developed over time)
    💎Just DO it!!!
    Morning Routines:
    💎Daily Meditation
    💎Post Sole Mates steps