Living the Lifestyle Tuesday, April 9

Options
Flintwinch
Flintwinch Posts: 748 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday-misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Shortness of Breath
Do/Did any of you experience weight-related Shortness of Breath? Did it go away as you got nearer to your goal weight?

Replies

• Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 748 Member
    edited April 10
    Options
    Medical abbreviations are everywhere. The first time I saw SOB as an abbreviation on a medical chart, I thought it a little cheeky of the doctor to make a character judgment of the patient. Regarding the question, I have experienced weight-related breath shortness at rest or with minimal effort, which has diminished slightly with weight loss. My cardiologist says my heart is fine and not a cause of shortness of breath. Spirometry lung testing reveals no issues. I get the recommended 150 minutes of aerobic exercise per week. We'll see if the breathlessness is reduced as my weight is reduced.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,863 Member
    Options
    Yes I have shortness of breath which has been getting gradually worse over the last 3 years. It has been attributed to a cardiac arythmia rather than weight (PVC's) I am having a minor procedure done on May 14 (Cardiac Ablation) to try and address the issue. There is no guarantee this will correct the problem but its a what I got for the moment.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,819 Member
    Options
    I don’t recall that. Lack of stamina, yes. Discomfort bending to tie my shoes, yes.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,938 Member
    edited April 10
    Options
    I have it also. So far the heart and lungs are supposidly ok. Now for the bronchia tubes.
    And I am at (or around) goal weight.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am an SOB who has SOB. It is weight related.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    No, thankfully, I've never had SOB related to my weight.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    No SOB for me, thankfully. I've had chemo and radiation for two different cancers, and heart and lung damage are potential long-term consequences of same based on the drugs/area of radiation. I'm followed by a cardiologist because of this, and I try to stay hyper-aware of changes. I was freakishly careful during COVID and remain pretty vigilant about exposure.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    Dizziness/lightheadedness. Not shortness of breath.

Seems odd but I took singing lessons for awhile. Technical part of singing is mostly about breathing. I used to get lightheaded when singing. To connect the dots, those singing lessons are something I never would have done without the confidence gained by weight loss.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Yes weight related SOB but most of the time if I can keep from gaining 10-15 lb it will show up drastically. It however is also cardiac related. Congestive heart failure and a-fib.