rocket39
rocket39 Posts: 4 Member
Hi is this group still going?

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    edited April 13
    Options
    Yes, but at low volume. I see you found the "general chat" thread. That and the "photos from outdoor exercise" thread (which doesn't confine itself to that topic) seem to be the most active ones. However, the group seems to be picking up a little lately. If you'd like there to be an active over 50 group, post on the group and its threads, and maybe even tell new 50+ people that the group exists. That's how groups take off: Members make it happen.

A problem is that MFP's Community doesn't tell us that there's a new thread in a group unless we turn on an obscure notification setting, Right now, I can only change this setting in the phone/tablet version of MFP (which may be a problem on my computer/browser for the browser version, not sure). In the phone/tablet app, go to the Groups link (where your groups are listed). Click on your avatar photo icon at the upper right. On the menu that appears, click "Account and Privacy Settings". Scroll down and click "Notification Settings". Scroll down to the "Groups" heading and click the check box for "New posts in groups I'm a member of". That function should be in a similar spot in the web browser version of the MFP Community, but that's not working for me right now.

On top of that, we aren't notified of new comments on a thread in the group (or elsewhere) unless we either comment on the thread, or bookmark the thread. To bookmark, look for the little ribbon-y icon at the upper right of the thread page, and click it so it turns from an outline into a colored thingie.

After you do the notification setting for groups, you'll get a notification (the bell icon at the top right of the Community page) when someone posts a new thread in groups you belong to. If you reply on or bookmark an existing thread, and your notification settings have the "New comments on posts I've participated in" and "New comments on my bookmarked posts" turned on, you'll get notifications in the same spot for those things, too. (I think those notification settings may be turned on by default; the "New posts in groups I'm a member of" is off by default, I think. )

Yes, this is a little confusing, and I'm having a cognitively difficult weekend (long story), so I may not be explaining well. (Sorry!) If you want to do this, and the above isn't clear, please ask follow-up question(s) and I'll try to be more clear/helpful, like provide screen shots.

Best wishes!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    @rocket39

A few of us have been actively trying to revive this group. Please help us!