Protein bars and powders

Options
Al_Howard
Al_Howard Posts: 7,937 Member
Do you use them? Do you like using them? Which do you prefer, and what brands?

Replies

• whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder periodically and have been using it daily post-surgery. Because of allergies to wheat, soy, dairy and almonds, I use Thorne brand which is pea and lentil based. I like the chocolate. I blend with water, ice cubes and two tsp of olive oil.
  • Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 748 Member
    edited April 12
    Options
    I prefer protein powder so I can make a protein shake with about 25 grams of protein. I've been drinking one in the evening to help meet my daily protein requirement of about 80 ;to 100 grams ( 1 to 1.2 grams per kg of body weight) and to help me feel full so I don't mindlessly graze junk food at night. I sometimes eat protein bars but because you only get 10 grams of protein in a 200 calorie bar, I don't make it a daily habit. I like Zing protein bars and buy protein powder from an online company, Gainful.com
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    I put egg protein powder in my oatmeal every day. I eat a Nature Valley protein bar most days but the NI is not far from Snickers.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,816 Member
    Options
    The AARP Bulletin that arrived today had an article about protein supplements for seniors. (I’d share the link but it’s behind a log-in wall.). Short version? Most of the bars are heavy in sugar; whey powder is the best, and of that, “isolate” whey is best for muscle gain without additional weight gain.

Based on the Nutrition tab in MFP, I’m consistently getting between 100-120 grams of protein per day, so I’m not seeing the need for a supplement. Doesn’t mean I won’t nosh on a KIND Bar . . . .
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    crewahl wrote: »
    The AARP Bulletin that arrived today had an article about protein supplements for seniors. (I’d share the link but it’s behind a log-in wall.). Short version? Most of the bars are heavy in sugar; whey powder is the best, and of that, “isolate” whey is best for muscle gain without additional weight gain.

Based on the Nutrition tab in MFP, I’m consistently getting between 100-120 grams of protein per day, so I’m not seeing the need for a supplement. Doesn’t mean I won’t nosh on a KIND Bar . . . .

I read that also. Did you read the one Flintwinch posted here? Did the math, and I should get 200gm. of protein a day.
  • Flintwinch
    edited April 12
    Options
    Al_Howard wrote: »

I read that also. Did you read the one Flintwinch posted here? Did the math, and I should get 200gm. of protein a day.

Are you calculating protein per kilogram (1 kg = 2.2 lbs) of body weight, Al? 200 grams seems about double what you need.

Tim
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    Yea, guess I did. I get 100gm per day, minimum. Thanks, that's easier.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,863 Member
    Options
    Never used protein powder, and I have never tried a protein bar I was willing to eat twice.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,816 Member
    Options
    “Protein powder? No whey!”

😉

(Sorry, but it had to be said. 🤷🏻‍♂️)
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    “Protein powder? No whey!”

😉

(Sorry, but it had to be said. 🤷🏻‍♂️)

Whey not???
  • Flintwinch
    Options
    You guys really milked that one!
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    Flintwinch wrote: »
    You guys really milked that one!

Whey would you say that?
  • Flintwinch
    Options
    Would I say that? No whey!
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    (Singing)"Oh whey oh"!
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I used to use protein powder when I was making a real effort in strength training. I found it hard to eat enough "natural" protein while eating a limited diet. I don't remember the brand.

I don't really eat protein/power bars unless I'm in a rush and can't make a lunch for myself. I also don't recall the brand, but it's mostly whatever my wife has around.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,207 Member
    Options
    I've never used protein powder. I will occasionally use a protein bar to eat between work and home. I often have genuine hunger at that time, and a protein bar seems to fit my needs.