Living the Lifestyle: Wednesday, 04/17/2024

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,204 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday-misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Food As A Reward

Do you, have you ever, used food as a reward for an accomplishment?

Is there a place for food as a reward? If so, what would be the ground rules for such?

Replies

• steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I really try to avoid using food as a reward. I just think it's a bad set-up by placing food on some sort of a pedestal.

Of course, it seems to be that it wouldn't be unreasonable to plan for a specific food. For example, it seems reasonable to make sure I eat more lightly, or get in some extra running mileage, to be able to fit a high-calorie meal or treat into my plan.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Going out for a nice dinner used to be a way to celebrate an accomplishment, pre-pandemic.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I think it’s more association than reward for me. Some events like birthdays and anniversaries have historically been celebrated with dinner out, and it’s less reward than just part of the event. And I do enjoy eating out fairly often, so a meal is a bit less of an event.

Lately, I’ve sort of been using food as a reward for NOT doing something. I can get waylaid by Dunkin' Donuts or by the candy bars in a convenience store. Instead of grabbing two PayDay bars, for example, I’ll get onion rings to split with my wife as part of dinner. Neither is a great choice, but the rings are fewer points/calories. So I’m telling myself if I don’t grab the candy, I can have the onion rings instead.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,934 Member
    Options
    crewahl wrote: »
    I think it’s more association than reward for me. Some events like birthdays and anniversaries have historically been celebrated with dinner out, and it’s less reward than just part of the event. And I do enjoy eating out fairly often, so a meal is a bit less of an event.

Lately, I’ve sort of been using food as a reward for NOT doing something. I can get waylaid by Dunkin' Donuts or by the candy bars in a convenience store. Instead of grabbing two PayDay bars, for example, I’ll get onion rings to split with my wife as part of dinner. Neither is a great choice, but the rings are fewer points/calories. So I’m telling myself if I don’t grab the candy, I can have the onion rings instead.

MTBC Make The Better Choice
  • Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Food as a reward? Perish the thought! Interestingly, I've never really thought much about food as a reward since I was a kid.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    Not a reward exactly but this- when I started WW I did a fill in the blank. I can actually do this if______. One answer was get some kind of treat every day. So I set about researching treats. Btw some days wine was my treat but that didn’t last long.

I quickly found that I got the most bang for the WW points with something frozen. So if it’s some kind of diet modified ice cream I’ve likely tried it.

So what I got at the end of a day when I stuck to the plan was ice cream. I didn’t think of it as a reward because it was built in. But if I blew up my numbers there were no points for ice cream. More like a penalty for failure than a reward.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Celebration! Perhaps? Reward! I don't think so for me anyway. I can misbehave without rewarding myself for whatever.