LTL Friday 4/19/24

Options
Flintwinch
Flintwinch Posts: 746 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday-misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Hungry, Hangry, Hankering

How do you cope with being hungry? Hangry? Hankering (Craving)?

Replies

• Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I see these as three separate physical and mental categories. If I'm simply hungry, that is the easiest to cope with. I will sometimes let the hunger stay for awhile, but more often I will eat a healthy snack (fruit, vegetables) unless it's close enough to mealtime to wait it out. Hangry is a tough one because it's driven by mood more than hunger. That's the time I tend to want to open the refrigerator and tilt it in my direction. Hankering can be tricky for me because it is very protean and the tips or solutions that often work don't always. To wit, chew gum, have a cuppa tea, go for a walk, exercise, distract myself with something, etc. The problem with saying I'll have a bite of something I crave inevitably leads to way more than I intended to eat. My hankerings occur mainly in the evening.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting a Friday thread. 👍🏻

I agree these are different issues. For me, I’d say hungry is the “I need” message and hankering is the “I want” message. Hangry is that treacherous middle ground where my mood and judgement are affected by those two divergent aspects of appetite.

I tend to eat when hungry, but also to take steps to keep from getting hungry. For example, I plan in an afternoon apple to make sure I’m not overly hungry by dinner. I deal with hankerings by limiting my risk. IN other words, I try to only have th8ngs in the house that I can eat with minimal danger to my plan. (I’ll acknowledge that one mini Kind bar can lead to two, but it’s very unlikely to lead to fifteen.)
  • Brian_19
    Brian_19 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    >How do you cope with being hungry? Hangry? Hankering (Craving)?

TBH, not very well, and that's my problem! I've been working harder over the past several days to better recognize the signals and tell myself that it's ok - normal even - to occasionally feel hungry. So I would say I'm attempting to cope via better choices and greater mindfulness.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I actually rarely feel "hungry" and am kind of excited when I do feel it. For me hunger is more about what I'm feeling in my gut. I've felt it a couple times since the beginning of the year. I feel like if I could get that brain/gut connection stronger that weight management might be easier. I've learned that hangry for me is likely a dip in blood sugar. I ge spacey as well as hangry. I try to avoid it by anticipating if I'm going to be going a long time between meals and having a snack on hand. Hankerings I deal with on a case-by-case basis depending on how mentally strong I'm feeling and how much of the craved food I have easy access to.