LTL Friday 4/26/24

Options
Flintwinch
Flintwinch Posts: 808 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday-misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Have you ever consulted a Dietitian?

Replies

• Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    The recent articles that have been posted here made me wonder how helpful information about nutrition is for those of us losing weight. I am interested in diet and nutrition and the more I learn, the better I am able to adjust (at least in theory) my diet to meet health goals while losing weight. I consulted a dietitian about ten years ago, but only went once, because I thought the advice pretty basic. My wife recently went for several visits with a registered dietitian and I tagged along. This one I thought very helpful to not only eat right, but to manage hunger, timing of eating and other subtleties. She was a real expert with no drum to beat or ax to grind regarding nutrition. She herself was a Mediterranean Diet follower, as we are, but she seemed very flexible to accommodate individual dietary likes and dislikes.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,036 Member
    Options
    Been "sent" to them a couple of times. As @Flintwinch said, pretty basic info. Last one couldn't answer my questions, regarding WW guidelines, as to amount of carbs, veggies, and proteins, vs their guidelines (protein and all the rest). So, IMLTHO, useless!
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,253 Member
    Options
    I have not, but I have considered it. I am an autodidact, and that extends to nutrition.
  • Brian_19
    Brian_19 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I have not, but I'm greatly appreciating the dietitian-driven meal plan I've been following (from Mayo Clinic Diet). It's definitely the best part of their program, and it's got me thinking about where to find similar recipes/meal plans once I get tired of paying for program content.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,480 Member
    Options
    No. But I think I ended up with a pretty heathy diet. Seems like I was sort of funneled into it as my points went down.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,891 Member
    Options
    I have not, other than “Dr. Goad” over the years. Short version is that I don’t do well with being told what to do, or, pushed down a particular path. Give me objective information and let me make my choice.

But like George @88olds, following WW has incentivized me to a healthy eating pattern. Protein is 25% of my calories vs an objective of 20% and fat is 25% versus a target of 30%. I get about 50% more fiber than required, about 75% of the sugar allowed, and my sodium is pretty much on target.