Living The Lifestyle - Monday 4/29/24

Options
crewahl
crewahl Posts: 3,868 Member
edited April 29 in Social Groups
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday-misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Tracking

What sort of information do you track as part of your weight management or healthy living efforts? Are you tracking WW points or calories? Recording your weight on some regular basis? Capturing your activity in some fashion? Watching your measurements?

And if so, what value do you get from that?

Replies

• crewahl
    Options
    1. I track my food using WW. It helps keep me accountable for my choices, and as in Friday's LTL it incentivizes healthier choices.
    2. I also track my food in MFP, because it lets me see calories, macros, and individual elements of nutrition.
    3. I track my weight daily on a spreadsheet, and it helps me see spikes vs trends.
    4. I measure and record my blood pressure (which is European-normal) because heart attacks and strokes seem to be the preferred way for my family to leave this planet.
    5. I measure my sleep, because it has a correlation with dementia. (No, the fact that I track my sleep doesn’t mean I’m demented.)
    6. As a measure of true compulsion, I also track the results of my regular hood work in a spreadsheet. I’m mildly anemic, so I like to keep an eye on those things.

It appears I must be a numbers person . . .
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,004 Member
    edited April 29
    Options
    1-5 LOL #5 is automatic on my FitBit. I also track my blood sugar, as I am a type2 diabetic (fully controlled with weight loss).
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I track my food using my own version of WW's Points Plus. I count Friday's Goad weigh-in as my 'official' weight, but do admit to weighing myself obsessively.
  • Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 791 Member
    edited April 30
    Options
    1. I recently joined WW online at a $9.99 special monthly rate ( I dropped my membership for a long time after the big change in 2015?), so track points. Also I track calories and nutrition specifics with the Cronometer tracker.

2. I wasn't tracking weight regularly, but am now doing it weekly and recording here.

3. I track exercise, type and amount, and use a heart rate monitor for cardio (I get really nerdy about HR zones) I have a high plaque burden so see a cardiologist for check-ups, and follow the American Heart Association's Essential Eight Healthy Heart guidelines most of the time.

4. I track sleep using a Garmin fitness watch, although I don't trust the results except in general terms.

5. How's this for OCD ? I have tracked my daily steps/miles for the past ten years and have tracked miles bicycled for the past 27 years.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,906 Member
    Options
    1 Track calories on MFP, but nothing else there
    2. Track weight on a little black book I keep
    3. Track steps from my fitbit
    4. Track my fasting blood sugar
    5. Track my heart rate and Blood Pressure also in my little black book
    6. track sleep quality using my CPAP
    Gave up weight watcher points when I ended my long term membership after they closed down all of the local centers in my area.
  • crewahl
    Options
    Flintwinch wrote: »
    How's this for OCD ? I have tracked my daily steps/miles for the past ten years and have tracked miles bicycled for the past 27 years.

Consistency is key to success! 😉
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,246 Member
    Options
    I track my food and weight in MFP. I track steps in the app associated with my step counter. Pretty much it.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    I’m not currently tracking but I crunch calorie numbers & weigh food to control portions. I also calculate protein aiming for about 130 grams per day. The protein is trickier than it seems.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    1.Currently I'm not tracking any food items. I got a way from tracking a good while ago when I was seeing a hospital nutritionist and she had me on three balance meals a day. It worked for awhile but it just didn't last. It has been awhile in fact I doubt remember exactly when but a while ago since we stopped.
    2. I have never stopped weighing daily and it's been my main source of weight control but it hasn't worked out at all. So just this morning I thought I would start tracking again through MFP as I weigh in on MFP dally.
    3. I track my steps usually through my hearing aids.
    4. I usually have so many Dr appointments they keep up with my blood pressure and other health measurements.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    imastar2 wrote: »
    So just this morning I thought I would start tracking again

Good for you Derrick! It really works.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,966 Member
    Options
    I track my weight every day, both on MFP (because it's fun to see the graphs) and in my running notebook. I also track my running (distance and pace and shoes) because I like to see how many miles I run a year, and if I start getting aches and pains, I can get a sense if my shoes are getting old and need replacement.

I hate tracking food. I still eat "intuitively," or really, by habit.