Living the Lifestyle: Wednesday, 05/01/2024 - The Late Edition

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,238 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday-misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Pleasurable Places to Visit

First of all apologies to all. It never even registered with me yesterday that it was Wednesday. Not sure why. But, I am caught back up. ;-)

Part of any successful lifestyle is finding some form of pleasure. For many of us, that involves travel or visiting favorite spots - places that bring us pleasure and help us to relax and get a little shot of dopamine. So...
  1. What is your favorite place you have EVER visted?
  2. What is a place you've visited within the last 6-12 months that brought you pleasure just by being there?

Replies

• misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,238 Member
    edited May 2
    Options
    1. I can't describe to you the moment of awe I felt back in 2010 when I came through the tunnel at the southern entrance of Yosemite National Park, coming out into the Yosemite Valley. A postcard scene. Half-Dome in the distance. Bridal Veil Falls to its left. The magnificence of the valley floor to its right. I have had the great pleasure and privilege to travel throughout the world and see some amazing places. but, I'd be hard pressed to name a place that took so much of my breath away the first time I saw it.
    2. Heceta Head Lighthouse in Oregon is located about 60 miles from my permanent residence, and I travel that at least once a year. The dramatic view of the Oregon coastline with the protected beach down below. There is a reason why this is one of the most photographed lighthouses in the world. It feels so good just to be there.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,990 Member
    Options
    1. Venice, Italy, in 1967. Seeing all the things I'd seen in books.
    2. Nowhere. Pretty much stay at home, or in a few hours' drive.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,902 Member
    Options
    1. That view coming into the Yosemite valley is near the top of my list
    2. Venice Italy strolling the plaza's, looking out the window of our Air BnB on a canal fro an 800 year old balcony
    3. Bryce canyon Utah, Did not know much about it before we got there, so the unexpected views were absolutly breathtaking
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,857 Member
    Options
    Two different types for the first one.

The most scenic place we’ve been would have to be Alaska. The wilderness and the wildlife are beautiful, and the highlight of the trip was walking through a glacial stream on the top of the Mendenhall Glacier. The most gobsmacking scenery was at Buchart Garden in British Columbia. You go through some would, walk around a berm, and - SMACK - you’re faced with flowers, trees and beauty everywhere you look.

c8q43tkszjd5.jpeg

Last six to twelve months? It’s only partially a place, but it was the Clinton Presidential Library. One of the docents mentioned he had a “Rhode Island accent”, and I asked him where he was from. He was from my home town, and his sisters went to school with my sisters. We swapped reminiscences of the old town, and it was a genuine pleasure to meet him.
  • Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Favorite place I have visited is Alaska. Because we live in the Pacific NW, it is convenient to hop on a cruise ship to Alaska, which we have done several times and are doing again in August. It never gets old.

Place visited in the past year that was pleasurable? Mt Rainier National Park. Here in the Puget Sound, Washington area, it is referred to as "The Mountain". I'm heading up there with a friend next week. Reservations are now required during the peak visitor season.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,966 Member
    Options
    My answer to both questions is Israel. I absolutely love being in "haaretz" (the land). Being around "my people" is amazing. Plus, I find it incredible to be in places that are mentioned in the Tanach (Jewish bible).