LTL Friday 5/3/24

Options
Flintwinch
Flintwinch Posts: 780 Member
edited May 3 in Social Groups
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday-misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Why Do You Exercise? All of us know that for all intents and purposes you lose weight in the kitchen, not bicycling at the Velodrome. (There is some thin evidence that regular exercise to the tune of about 200 daily calories can help maintain weight loss.)

Replies

• Flintwinch
    Options
    For too long a time I thought that I could out pedal an excess of calories and lose weight. No longer. But I do like to exercise for the following reasons:

(1) It improves my mood

(2) It gives me more energy during the day, something no 75-year-old will decline.

(3) It helps me sleep better at night. The combination of 30-minutes of daily aerobic exercise and my CPAP at night give me a good night's sleep on most nights. If I remember to stop drinking liquids a couple of hours before bedtime, I also avoid waking up at night to make my bladder gladder.

(4) I get around better. Exercise builds strength, flexibility, and balance, all important to function well.

(5) My health is better. Lab tests are all normal, which I attribute in part to regular exercise.

I try to have exercise snacks throughout the day, rather than just a designated time frame to do exercise. This, according to some studies is better than time-limited exercise and vegetating the rest of the day. I love Al's idea of 250 steps an hour. Doing this also helps my arthritis.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,966 Member
    Options
    I started exercising to help to lose weight. I keep exercising because I think it really helps me stay healthy (at least from a cardiovascular perspective).

I know some folks love to exercise. That's not me. I do enjoy the sense of having accomplished something, but to be honest, I don't actually love to run.

I also brush my teeth even though I don't love to! ;-)
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,990 Member
    Options
    I walk, as it's about all that's left now. If I walk, I feel better, my weight (usually) stays in place, and my clothes fit better.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,857 Member
    Options
    I have never been remotely close to being an exercise fanatic. My choices in terms of activity are largely driven by quality of life criteria.
    1. Stretches and strengthening - I do a set of lower extremity exercises because I’ve historically had issues with knees and hips. I’ve slowly realized if I stop the PT exercises, the pains come back. Better to keep up with this.
    2. Walking - I walk briskly (or Nordic Track) for cardio and stamina.
    3. Tai Chi - I do this to help maintain balance and range of motion, and it gets me stretching muscles that I don’t push in mynPT exercise.

I’m firmly in the “lose weight in the kitchen; gain strength in the gym” camp of managing my weight primarily through the fork.
  • Flintwinch
    edited May 4
    Options
    crewahl wrote: »
    [*] Stretches and strengthening - I do a set of lower extremity exercises because I’ve historically had issues with knees and hips. I’ve slowly realized if I stop the PT exercises, the pains come back. Better to keep up with this.

I had a full thickness tear in one of my rotator cuff muscles and chose PT over shoulder surgery a year ago. The physical therapist said: " Don't stop doing these exercises or you'll get the pain back." I'm still doing them and managing ok.

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    Options
    Actually I think exercise is overrated as a weight loss strategy. But back when, nearly 30 yrs ago, when I started, first thing I did was start exercising. But I started at rock bottom. At 285 lbs, HBP, sleep apnea, debilitating back pain, I was on the verge of fatting myself to death. From my initial 8 min trip on the stationary bike, pretty soon I was going on 1 1/2 hr walks on Saturday. A big deal at the time. In a couple of years I was a gym regular and ran our kids into ground in the parks in Orlando.

I think the main benefit is mental. It does great stuff for our brains. Circulation. Stress relief. Exercise taught me incrementalism, something I’ve been able to apply to other areas. Can’t really say enough good stuff about it.

Lately I’ve been working to get stronger. Find that issues regarding my posture and balance seem to get better just getting stronger.

Last- why do it? At this point it’s a well established habit and I don’t feel right if I miss a workout. Turns out good habits are just as habitual as bad ones.

Really last- It helps my Pickleball which is a great way to have fun and meet likeminded people.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,899 Member
    Options
    For me its all a mental thing. When I am commited to a regular exercise program, then I am also mentally commited to paying more attention to what I eat. (I think its lart of the whole mindfullness thing). When I am not commited to exercise I am also not comited to a healthy eating plan. Right now I am struggling with exercise because of some cardiac issues which are limiting my activity levels. Hopefully this will be addressed in the next 2 weeks.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,238 Member
    Options
    Keeps me moving and much less sedentary...helps to keep my joints and muscles from becoming stiff and tight.