Hi I am new here

Options
Hey everyone, I’m new here. Joined before but never really got going. Anyway I am in much better head space now to tackle my long journey about 80lbs. I’ve been told by GP I am pre type 2 diabetic and don’t really know much about this. Any advice would be appreciated

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Welcome! An 80 lb goal is ambitious, but lots of people do it. You may find the pre-diabetic takes care of itself when you start making progress on the weight goal.

FWIW, I got the diabetic diagnosis in 2016. I lost 100+ lbs over the next two and a half years. I was initially on metformin but manage the glucose with diet now.

Let us know how things are going in this journey.

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Stick around. Ask questions. Join some challenges in one or more spots here on the forums.

One day at a time. Seems daunting now.
    Eventually you’ll be the one who got in better shape and got your blood glucose under control, handing out the advice to the new people starting MFP.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    Are you checking glucose?

I think probably the first step is to log everything. I found MFP to be a great way to do this. You don't REALLY know what you are doing until you are good about logging. Set some reasonable goals for yourself. I went by the charts with recommended deficits for a pound a week. When I hit a plateau, I would drop another 100 calories.

One of the things I found is that while the charts give you a starting point, we are all a little different. I am in maintenance and have been since 2018. To maintain, I have a target of 1600 calories a day or I start gaining. The charts would have you believe this should have me losing weight, but it doesn't. Some of it you just have to figure out my logging and tracking.

If you are checking glucose you can track that as well.
  • 365daysandheathy
    365daysandheathy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for replying to me. I will take on board what you have all said. I used TDEE calculator to work my deficit out and am on 1600 a day. Mfp put me at 1200 and I know from past experience that will be impossible to stick to for the long journey ahead.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    Thanks all for replying to me. I will take on board what you have all said. I used TDEE calculator to work my deficit out and am on 1600 a day. Mfp put me at 1200 and I know from past experience that will be impossible to stick to for the long journey ahead.

You have to have something you can sustain.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

You have to have something you can sustain.

Exactly!
    1200 is the absolute rock bottom minimum.

I have mine set to 1200 for two reasons
    1) I’m one of those oddballs who is capable of forgetting to eat. Which will result in overeating if I’m not careful to log my food.
    2) I’m disabled, and have an activity level below sedentary, so I have to account for that.

Most people should aim much higher than 1200.
  • sequimtrim
    sequimtrim Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Listen to Dr Jason Fung on youtube, get some finger pricks to see what your glucose is really doing (and keep a record), add a bit of exercise to your daily routine. Glad we're friends here!
  • JudyValentine3
    JudyValentine3 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    All good advice by the others. What saved me was a diabetic classes that taught me how to check blood sugars, different excercise choices, and a diabet group led by a diabetes educator. The group was a support group, and we had a lot of laughs, but we did check in with other when we weren't meeting.
    You can do it alone, but you can make it a little easier with help. Now, don't get me wrong, the chats here are very helpful, but I'm more of an 'in person' kinda gal. Good luck.