Living the Lifestyle Friday 5/17/24

Options
Flintwinch
Flintwinch Posts: 854 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday-misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: The Hunger Meter (My last LTL topic sorta bombed, so let's hope this one will draw more responses)

Scenario: Your Hunger Meter (scale from 1 to 10) is at a 7 or higher. Your next scheduled meal is hours away. How do you handle your hunger? Eat something with zero points? Eat something that is not zero points but will keep you within your daily or weekly points? Let 'er rip? Eat nothing, because a feeling of hunger is normal and you can live with it rather than eat something before your next meal?

Replies

• crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Yes, because I’ve done all of those at various times and circumstances, and yes because I expect I’ll continue to use the full range of options outlined above depending on the situation.

Most of the time I plan my eating pattern so that I don’t get to a 7. I have a large breakfast of protein and fiber that keeps me full. Lunch is similarly fiber and protein, and I plan for an apple mid-afternoon. Dinner varies, and in the evening my snacking may include a variety of Pop Chips, low calorie fudgicles, Halo Top ice cream, Kind mini-bars, pretzel thins, etc. But my decisions about what and when to eat when hungry are influenced by how many points I have available, where my weight is, when I expect to weigh in, whether I’ve been restrained lately, etc.

In short, the most honest answer is probably “it depends”.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,996 Member
    Options
    Ditto to what he said!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    My meter is out of whack. I can tell myself I’m hungry 20 minutes after lunch.

As a result I’ve had to remind myself of a few things-

I’m probably not hungry. None of my meals are less than 400 calories. Lunch really was just 20 minutes ago.

Willingness to be hungry some of the time is how I got to GW.

My experience with hunger is a bit of discomfort. It’s not a crisis.

If I’m serious about losing this 5 lbs that I now look on as “extra” I’ll quit running to the frig in response to every little twinge.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    If I’m serious about losing this 5 lbs that I now look on as “extra” I’ll quit running to the frig in response to every little twinge.

I completely get it. 99% of my eating urges are “I want” rather than “I need”.
  • Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I can relate to what 88olds says about hunger. It helps me to lengthen the pause after the thought "I want something to eat" to think about it. Am I hungry? Usually not. If I am, it is not, as 88olds wrote, a crisis, but a temporary discomfort. And I think that without the willingness to endure some hunger, getting to my goal weight is problematic.

I keep a little card in my wallet that lists reasons I want to achieve my goal weight. Just reading them gives me perspective and allows me momentarily to see the long view. Without a long view, seeing the forest rather than the trees, helps me overcome cravings, bad attitude, and other minor factors. It is one day at a time, but without the big picture, I lose focus on what the number on my Hunger Meter means. For all intents and purposes, it's just a number.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,298 Member
    edited May 21
    Options
    Over the years, I've come to adopt a more "small meal" mindset, scheduling them in general, but trying to let my actual hunger pangs advise me when to eat. As such, I don't usually have "true" hunger.

My problem is with "perceived" hunger, usually based on a taste or mouth feel need. That is where my binge eating can get the best of me. So, I keep a lot of raw veggies and fruit around.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,298 Member
    edited May 22
    Options
    Inadvertent post.