Living the Lifestyle Friday 4/24/24

Options
Flintwinch
Flintwinch Posts: 854 Member
edited May 24 in Social Groups
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday-misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: What Foods are Off the Table?

What foods do you keep off the table, out of the larder, out of the house? Why do you keep as far away from them as you can?

Bonus: Today's date 4/24/24 is a palindrome, the same forwards and backwards. Do you have any favorite number or word games?

Replies

• Flintwinch
    edited May 24
    Options
    Off the table for me are any foods loaded with sugar. These are loaded with empty calories and mess with your body's metabolic balance. This includes candy, ice cream, sugary desserts, etc. Exception: My wife and I love Trader Joe's Sea Salt Chocolate Chunk cookies. A pack of three cookies lasts us a week because we split each cookie into quarters and each of us gets a quarter for dessert after supper.

Like Bert Lahr in his famous television ad of yesteryear for Lay's Potato Chips--"Bet you can't eat just one--I usually can't eat just one chocolate, one small bowl of ice cream or other sugar-laden treat.

Bonus: I like palindromes (Yreka Bakery), good puns ( Geology rocks but Geography is where it’s at ), and other word play. For number games, it's Sudoku.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I’ll break this into two categories.
    1. There are foods I don’t bring into the house because I seem unable to stop eating them once I start.
    2. There are foods I don’t buy because they’re not worth the points to me.

The first category is simple - peanut butter. Open a jar, and I’ll be at it with a tablespoon. Double-dipping doesn't count because once I start, it’s likely no one else is going to get a chance at it.

The second? Well, I rarely have chocolate in the house. I can say no to it, but it’s not worth the points to eat what I want, and what I can afford isn’t enough to be worth eating. I don’t buy donuts or pastries to have in the house. If I’m going to do that, I’ll buy a single serving of something truly good (like the carrot cake from Modern Pastry I have in the fridge right now) and limit myself to that.

• Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    No off limit foods. As for word games - My wife and I play Wordle, Connections and Spelling Bee together every day on the NY Times app.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,121 Member
    Options
    Nothing truly off the table (or larder) here. We don't get ice cream, unless I'm far enough below goal to "absorb" the points/carbs before weigh-in day.
    We (or should I say I) usually get a package of The Father's Table cheesecake most weeks. Prefer plain, but usually settle for the one with strawberry swirl. Two fairly small portions (one apiece). 199 Cal./10 points, end worth every one. :)
    Other than that, don't tend to chips, etc. and almonds and cashews are out.
  • Flintwinch
    Options
    Correction: 4/24/24 is a palindrome, but it is not today's date. Oops.
  • Flintwinch
    Options
    @crewahl--I hear you loud and clear about the peanut butter. My rule is that the only time I eat peanut butter is to spread it on bread. Spooning can lead to the results you have attested to.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,121 Member
    Options
    Flintwinch wrote: »
    @crewahl--I hear you loud and clear about the peanut butter. My rule is that the only time I eat peanut butter is to spread it on bread. Spooning can lead to the results you have attested to.

So can "knifing". After I have spread the PB, chunky, I'll swing the knife through the jar, and stick it in my mouth!
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,996 Member
    Options
    Not only will I use a spoon or a knife in my peanut butter jar I am just as likely to just use my finger! I refer to it as my Kryptonite. The only time I will have it these days is if we are traveling and the hotel has a free breakfast there will often be single tablespoon packages of PB, then I can limit myself to just 1!
    As for the rest rarely have ice cream, cookies or chips of any kind in the house.