Living The Lifestyle - Memorial Day 2024

Options
crewahl
crewahl Posts: 4,000 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday-misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Diet foods

First, and most important, let’s pause to think about those who gave all in defense of our country.

So - there are foods traditionally thought of as “diet food”. What is one you refuse to incorporate, and one that you choose to use?

Replies

• Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    In general, I avoid diet foods because they usually fall into the ultra-processed, science project category. I don't drink sodas, diet or regular. I suppose that low-fat foods I regularly eat and drink, cottage cheese, yogurt, and milk could be categorized as diet foods due to their lower calorie count. As my own health, diet and weight journey continues, I aim to eat more low-calorie foods, like fruits and vegetables and naturally lean meats. It's progress. High-fat, sugar-laden foods are occasional treats rather than staples of my diet. Sticking to the allocated WW points is a bear.

Yes, let us all pause to remember those who sacrificed their lives in service to our country.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,016 Member
    Options
    I am willing to try nearly anything. I do occasionally eat those shirataki noodles that folks hate, rice cakes, low fat cheese, diet soda, etc. There's probably nothing that's completely off the table, except for celery (which I have tried many times, but don't like the taste).

In reading the post above, I don't eat that many highly-processed foods. I didn't realize that those are diet foods. Again, there's no strict rules against them in my book, but I tend to look for lower calorie choices.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,016 Member
    Options
    Oops, one more thing: I would never drink a zero/low-calorie beer. That's just crazy talk in my book. :-)
  • Brian_19
    Brian_19 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I've never tried cottage cheese, and possibly never will. It's hard to explain because I don't have many other food phobias, but something about it just looks so unappealing!

I'm fine with 2% milk but no fan of skim or 1%, and I don't go for reduced fat cheese (except maybe if it was in a dish where I was using a lot of it at once). I don't consume a lot of dairy generally, so the lower fat variations don't really seem like a sensible trade off.

Another "diety" hang up I have is that I'm no fan of smoothies. I understand how they might help one get in an extra serving or two of fruit or vegetables, but especially with the green smoothies the concept feels totally wackadoodle. I don't need to drink my greens, thank you very little. :s
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 4,000 Member
    Options
    Something diety I’ve tried and won’t do? Rice cakes. Sorry, but I can’t get past the sawdust texture. And like @steve0mania, I don’t voluntarily drink low calorie beers. If you’re drinking beer based on calories, you’re drinking for the wrong reasons in my book.

Something diety I’ve tried and eventually adopted? Fat free Greek yogurt. Never cared for it, because it’s too tart and sour. But when that became zero points in the WW program, I tried it, and found it would work if mixed with fresh strawberries and Fiber One cereal for breakfast.

And I do eat fat free cottage cheese, while I agree is historically a diet food. I mix 8 ounces with two Splenda packets and a serving of Dole no sugar added pineapple bits for a lunch sometimes. My mother used to eat it (in the nursing home, yeah, I know) and enjoyed it. - so I tried it. It’s not gonna replace a good greasy burger or a pepperoni pizza in the pantheon of food pleasure, but it’s a filling lunch for zero WW points - and an acceptable tradeoff some days when I’m preserving points.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    I’ll do the reduced fat dairy. But other than Greek yogurt I can’t stand the 0 fat. I regularly eat various kinds of diet modified ice cream. They are “no sugar added” now. Guess it focus grouped better than sugar free.

Currently fighting another battle to stay away from Diet Coke. Winning for now.

When I was hugely fat I drank lite beer. Wouldn’t consider it now. About the only beer I like now is Guinness.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,031 Member
    Options
    Don't eat or drink to many diet items.
    No Diet Sodas
    FW and I cook most everything ala natural.
    Use stevia raw sparingly.
    Eat Occasional fat free yogurt