Hi!! Brand new to the semaglutide compound - seeking friends!

Options
jmansgirl0410
jmansgirl0410 Posts: 1 Member
Hi!!! My name is Ashley!!! I just started on my semaglutide compound regimen yesterday. Brand new to it!! Here for all the tips/tricks/encouragement/success stories. I have a long health history - but being a 38 y/o perimenopausal, pcos - with no ovaries, stuck in a weight rut. This is my last ditch effort. Not sticking to any "diet" per-se just know fried and sugary foods might make any nausea bad and they don't really have any health benefits - just brain benefits (that food talk satisfied). Lol.

I'm married with 4 kiddos. I'm a busy mom, and we own and run a bakery locally. My hubby and I are nerds at heart - we love star wars, star gate, board games, dnd, video games.

Looking forward to making friends!!

Replies

• TuesdayLucero
    TuesdayLucero Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashley!

I just recently started on Tirzepatide which is different but similar to semaglutide; it's also a GLP-1 drug. I'm also looking for more friends on a similar journey. I'm 42 years old, no kids, busy life right now with work and school and struggling to fit in exercise but my school work should lighten up in a bit in the summer and I can get back to exercising.
  • StatChicBayes
    StatChicBayes Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashley!

I am Merlise - I will be starting Zepbound Friday so also looking for all the pointers and help starting this! Two kids starting the college application process, busy at work so haven't made time for exercise and love cooking and wine. Long history of weight loss/gain and reached goal weight in 2020 here on MFP but fell apart after covid. Being post-postmenopausal losing weight has been even harder (have 60 pounds to lose). Hoping to learn from everyone here !
  • JodieHut
    JodieHut Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I just started on a tirzepatide compound three days ago. I did not do well! I felt so bloated/full and nausea for two days. Today, I finally feel better. I sure hope I dont feel like that every week. I definitely don't have an appetite though... I am struggling this morning to finish a protein bar, and its almost lunch time!

I am 61 years old and have over 100 pounds to lose. I've been overweight my entire life, and now that I am nearing retirement, I need this weight off. I have done a lot of research on the compounds and feel comfortable using it. My insurance doesnt cover Mounjaro, so a compound was really my only option.

I know I need to eat protein and drink electrolytes... and stay away from greasy and sugary foods. Seems simple enough! I am looking forward to this journey!

Would love to come back and share tips with fellow "losers"!
  • jas0441
    jas0441 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Jodie, I just started today. Happy to compare notes with you and support each other. How is going so far?
  • JodieHut
    Options
    Hi Jas!

I'm on day 5 and feeling terrific! I am really struggling to get in a good amount of protein and calories though. My appetite is gone... completely. I barely eat, yet I never feel hungry. I literally have to force myself to eat.

I started last Sunday, but I am going to take my second shot this Saturday. I am changing days due to the side effects lasting into Monday. I work Monday thru Fridays so I need to be over the side effects at work.

Jas... is this your first use of these meds? I've been wanting to try for a long time but none are covered by my insurance. I was thrilled to find about compounds! The price is so much more affordable than the name brands.

Glad to be on this journey!
  • jas0441
    jas0441 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes this is my first use of zepbound. Tell me about compounds, I have not heard of them before. I pay out of pocket so if I can save some money that would be great.

I ate fairly normally today, my first day. I still have an appetite and drank a glass of wine with dinner, about 1200 calories for the day which is what I typically eat. My husband brought home croissants which I had no desire to eat, so that shows me it’s working!

Let’s continue to compare notes, I feel kind of isolated so it’s good to hear how others are doing.
  • JodieHut
    Options
    Jas.... and all!

I get my compounds through a telehealth service..... it was so easy! I selected what meds I wanted (either semaglutide, which is the same as Ozempic, or Tirzepatide, which is the same as Mounjaro & Zepbound) ... then I filled out a short health screening questionnaire. My info then went to a doctor who wrote me a prescription and sent it to a compounding pharmacy, who then mailed me my meds. The whole process only took 6 days. This telehealth service does require a 3 month commitment, then its a month to month choice to refill the prescription. They do not accept insurance, but its much more affordable than the name brand pens. This med comes in a vial, along with syringes which you have to fill and inject. I pay $299 monthly for months one, two, and three.... months four and on are $379. From what I understand, the name brand pens are much more expensive.

Since my shot day is tomorrow, I am going to be very diligent about getting lots of protein in today. Hopefully that will alleviate the nausea I had last week. I haven't weighed myself yet, so I anxious to see what the scale says tomorrow.

I wasnt going to tell anyone I was using this med, but last Monday when I came to work I was feeling so sick, I had to tell my co-workers. It's just three other gals, and they were very supportive. I also told my two daughters, but no one else. I have failed at every 'diet' attempt in my life, and am scared I will fail at this too. I have a lot of weight to lose, so I know I just need to be patient.

Hope everyone has a good Friday!

• mad1663
    mad1663 Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 3
    Options
    Hi All - I have been on Tirzepatide for 11 weeks and am down 22lbs. I have had some experience with nausea (not extreme), and my Mochi Dr. told me if it did happen, take pills for motion sickness, as the pills combat nausea and dizziness. Hydration is key, and if you become a little "bound up", take magnesium pills before you go to bed. I use calcium/magnesium/zinc every night and have had no problem. :-) Take it slow and steady and don't worry if you don't shed right away. A lot of people don't until they titrate up. It's not a 110 yard dash, it's a marathon for your well being. Losing is losing even if it is a half a pound.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have (though everyone's journey is different) and happy to make new friends and chat!
  • deewip
    deewip Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I too have been using a compound pharmacy and have been pleased. I’m not trying to lose quickly and I’m still learning how to eat on it. I started in February and am down 22lbs - have about 45 more to go. I have experienced occasional nausea but have been able to control it until I titrated up to 2.4mg this weekend. My blood sugar dropped and I ended up vomiting. Hope I can avoid that in the future. So I’m watching what I eat and trying to eat more frequently. We will see what happens at the next injection. Wishing all of us success!