Living The Lifestyle - Monday 6/3/24

Options
crewahl
crewahl Posts: 4,000 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday-misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Nutrition

What part of your nutrition needs help? Are you getting enough of good stuff like protein and fiber? Are you getting too much sugar or fat or sodium? And what if anything are you doing about it?

Replies

• crewahl
    Options
    Based on MFP's Nutrition tab, I’d say my biggest issue is sodium. I generally run about 3k mg of sodium when they tell me it should be under 2300 mg. I don’t add salt to foods, and try to buy low-sodium options, but I don’t make a religion of it. So far, my blood work numbers annually have been good, so I’m not motivated to do anything about it.

My protein and fiber are higher than required, my fats and sugars are below what I’m allowed, and I get plenty of vitamins. I’m working on that model of “eat clean enough to be healthy, and dirty enough to be happy”.
  • Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    As I've mentioned before, I use a food tracker to keep tabs on calories and nutrition. I'm doing pretty well within the parameters I've set. I sometimes exceed the sodium top value, but also try to maintain a good ratio of sodium/potassium. The only way I can meet a nutritional goal of 90% is to take supplements. I would rather get them from food, but alas, that is not possible. Added sugar is always within acceptable limits, as is saturated fat, protein, fiber and water intake. I like your quote: 'eat clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy".
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,016 Member
    Options
    I don't track nutrients. I assume a varied diet is mostly giving me what I need.

However, I have had some issues with iron-deficiency in recent years, and I don't really eat a lot of red meat. I've had to have iron infusions and take iron supplements in the past. Part of that was driven by being an avid blood donor, and so I'm hoping that my iron levels will at least stabilize (without supplementation) now that I no longer donate.

I also take calcium/vit-D supplements based on an endocrinologist's recommendations. I do drink milk and have cheese sometimes, but I needed a greater intake than I was getting.
  • crewahl
    Options
    I don't track nutrients. I assume a varied diet is mostly giving me what I need.

However, I have had some issues with iron-deficiency in recent years, and I don't really eat a lot of red meat. I've had to have iron infusions and take iron supplements in the past. Part of that was driven by being an avid blood donor, and so I'm hoping that my iron levels will at least stabilize (without supplementation) now that I no longer donate.

I also take calcium/vit-D supplements based on an endocrinologist's recommendations. I do drink milk and have cheese sometimes, but I needed a greater intake than I was getting.

I didn’t think about it, but I do take a Vitamin D supplement on my doctors advice; I’ve been doing it long enough that I don’t think about it as a supplement. I did switch my multivitamin to Geritol because it appeared I was getting about 50% of recommended iron. I don’t donate blood because I’m historically mildly anemic - but my doctor’s approach is “hey, that’s just you; it’s a range, and some people fall outside the range.”
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Just a few too many calories. Sugar is an on going battle that I don’t expect to win decisively. Just how it is.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,310 Member
    Options
    In general, I am not a nutrient tracker. Just calories. That said, I do supplement both D3 and B12.
  • Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 864 Member
    Options

My father, a pilot in WWII, got me started on blood donation and I donated an average of 4 times a year for four decades. Then I ran into iron deficiency problems and had to start an oral iron supplement, which I still take due to developed restless leg syndrome. No more blood donations though.