Living the Lifestyle Tuesday 6/4/24

Options
Flintwinch
Flintwinch Posts: 860 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday-misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Do You Nap?
If you nap: how often? how long? in bed? on the couch? in a chair? elsewhere? Do your naps have any effect on your eating routine?

Replies

• Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 860 Member
    edited June 4
    Options
    I'm a frequent napper. I was unable to take an afternoon nap when gainfully employed, but in retirement, I take a nap almost every afternoon, usually late afternoon before the evening meal. I get in about 30 minutes, which is just enough time to wake up refreshed and energized for the rest of the day. I sleep well at night, but still like an afternoon nap. I usually nap in a lounge chair wearing a sleep mask.

I think regular naps help me control eating in the evening because when I am tired I tend to feel more cravings (not necessarily hunger) and am more apt to act on them quickly. I roughly follow a Mediterranean-style diet, and the best part of this diet are the naps.

Tim
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    I seldom nap, on purpose. I do nap in front of my computer, in my comfy chair. I also doze during the night during pee trips.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 6,005 Member
    Options
    I think naps are a gift from God!
    Normal for me is 20 - 30 minutes after lunch.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I often nap on Saturday (Shabbat) afternoon after lunch. That meal usually has wine, so it makes me sleepy. I tend to feel a little dopey afterwards, and it really messes up my ability to wind-down and fall asleep that night, so I'm not sure it's such a great thing. I don't think it has any effect on my diet, though.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,307 Member
    Options
    I like a brief afternoon nap...usually around 30 minutes...very rarely any longer unless I am ill. Napping does not affect my food intake.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,994 Member
    Options
    I do not nap - that’s for old people.

< ducks for cover >

On rare occasions I have been known to “pre-sleep”, but that’s an exception. I’m pretty focused on my sleep hygiene, and quite consistently get between 7.5 and 9 hours of quality sleep per night. That should be enough for me.