Living The Lifestyle Thursday 6/6/24

Options
imastar2
imastar2 Posts: 6,028 Member

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday-misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: SLEEP (not naps)
How many hours do you need or sleep per night on an average if you know.
Does your amount of sleep effect your appetite, diet, etc;?

Do have sleep Apnea and sleep with a cpap or bipap machine? and does this help your appetite? One way or the other? (if you're not comfortable answering the last question just pass)

Chime in with any other issues you have or know of that can contribute to this subject.

Replies

• imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,028 Member
    Options
    Somerime around 2010, I went for my first sleep study and it I was a mess. I was 400 lbs and the biggest thing I remember after a couple of days was my appetite was considerably less. I had already started with WW but hasn't been suc for months and months.

Prior to getting on my bipap therapy I napped and slept off and on sometimes involuntarily. The following 9 months to a year I lost 100 lbs. I kept it off for a long time but leveled off. I've had a struggle since then to break 300 and keep going down. 295 was my low and lots of ground covered between then and now health wise.

For now I'll leave it at this.
  • Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    CPAP user for a year. My first sleep study 15 years ago showed no sleep apnea, but the most recent did. It definitely helps me sleep better, wake refreshed and have more energy during the day, but I haven't noticed any noticeable weight change. Now I've moved on to heart issues and getting those sorted out.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 6,005 Member
    Options
    CPAP user for about 5 years. I do not love using the thing but I will admit that I sleep much better when I use it. I normally get about 7 hours of sleep a night with 1 or 2 bathroom breaks in the night. I have not noticed any changes in my appetite one way or another, but I do know that when I am sleep deprived my mindfulness / will power is greatly diminished, basically I start doing the "see food" diet plan.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,994 Member
    edited June 7
    Options
    I track my sleep pattern using the AutoSleep app on my Apple Watch. My goals are 7.5-9 hours of total sleep, 5.5 hours of “quality” sleep, 1.75 hours of deep sleep, and a heart rate dip of 15% compared to my normal non-active BPM during the day. Here’s a picture of my history of results, with the circles representing my goals from outer ring to inner . . . .

czpiwho2hq8r.jpeg

And here’s last night's results. Blue bars are sleep, purple are deep sleep, green means awake (and in the bathroom, probably), and the red line is my heart rate.

pknwxa1wgwz7.jpeg

Things I’ve learned from this?
    • I sleep better if my wife sleeps well. If she’s restless, even if I’m asleep I don’t get as much deep sleep.
    • A large meal late in the day means it takes longer for my heart rate to drop, and I don’t get as much deep sleep.
    • I do best if I don’t oversleep. If I wake up and I’ve hit my target, I don’t roll over and try to go back to sleep. That helps me sleep the following night.
    • I haven’t observed a linkage between sleep and appetite/cravings. A lack of good sleep isn’t necessary for me to go off the rails.

• steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, sleep, elusive sleep.

As I've gotten older, my sleep patterns have gotten more irregular. I'm lucky if I get 6 hours of total sleep in, and I wake up a lot in the middle of the night. I don't have to get out of bed or anything, and I usually fall back asleep pretty quickly, but I do end up seeing a few different hours on the clock in the middle of the night.

No CPAP for me. I take melatonin before bed most nights. If I don't, I find it hard to unwind and settle down.
  • Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    @Charlie--It seems like you move in and out of deep sleep easily. You've got 10 cycles of deep sleep. I usually get only 4 or 5, but still end up with about 1.5 to 2 hours of deep sleep each night. Deep sleep is when the brain does a lymphatic system "power wash" clearing out cellular debris, including tau tangles and amyloid-beta material (associated with Alzheimer's)
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,994 Member
    Options
    Flintwinch wrote: »
    @Charlie--It seems like you move in and out of deep sleep easily. You've got 10 cycles of deep sleep. I usually get only 4 or 5, but still end up with about 1.5 to 2 hours of deep sleep each night. Deep sleep is when the brain does a lymphatic system "power wash" clearing out cellular debris, including tau tangles and amyloid-beta material (associated with Alzheimer's)

And that’s why I’m focused on my sleep - it’s a concrete thing I can do to help my long term prospects. I’m hopeful I’m getting enough deep sleep, but it’s based on the Apple Watch, so it’s measuring periods where my heart rate slows the most and my body barely moves rather than any medical definition of REM sleep. But, it's what I’ve got - well, that, and a Sleep Number mattress. 😉