Living the Lifestyle: Wednesday, 06/12/2024

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,310 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday-misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Taste Buds and the Sense of Taste

One of the big symptoms that many have attributed to COVID is loss in an ability to taste things properly. Luckily, that did not happen to me. But, it did get me to wondering about how the sense of taste might change over the course of years - and how that might influence our weight loss efforts.

I grew up in the Southwest - have lived there almost all of my life. So, I tend to like very bold flavors. A part of that, too, is that I suffer from chronic allergy and sinus issues, and my smell sensors have been damaged over time from the amount of meds I've had to take for such. Smell is a key component of taste. Since my smelling abilities sometimes miss more subtle scents, it is possible that I am missing some more subtle tasting ability. But, for me, the bolder the better.

I tend to eat a lot of Mexican cuisine, which I've had to modify over the years because it, generally, is not particularly conducive to weight loss. I have discovered Baja style Mexican food, which is fresher and lighter. That has helped a lot.

How about you?

Replies

• crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 4,000 Member
    Options
    Many who know me have said I don’t smell too good.

Ba-dum-boom! Okay, now that that’s out of the way . . .

My wife has a more sensitive nose that I do; at least half the time she'll say “I smell ______”, and I just shrug. I do know that I can still do the beer sniff test and tell if I want to drink it, and I can smell sour milk vs fresh milk. I don’t know how much that has changed over time.

I do find I’m drawn to stronger flavors, but I’ve attributed that to the fact that (per my understanding) we lose taste receptors as we age. I’m more willing to use Cholula hot sauce, for example.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    When I was at the top of my fat game I couldn’t get enough spicy food. Mexican, Italian-chicken Vesuvio- beef sandwiches loaded with hot peppers & Szechuan. For awhile I was putting hot giardiniera on nearly everything from pizza to ham sandwiches.

But those days are gone. A little bit of zing goes a long way with me now.
  • Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    My wife is one of 25% of the population who is a 'supertaster', and able to taste and smell very subtle flavors. Me, not so much. I am averse to spicy foods, which make me sweat. Anytime we go to a restaurant that asks the spice level I prefer, I say zero. That doesn't mean I like only bland food. I love flavorful dishes.

According to experts, we taste bitter at the back or our tongues, sweet at the front, sour and salty on the sides, and umami in the middle of our tongues. Smell plays an important role too.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 6,014 Member
    Options
    Sp when I had my first case of Covid I did not completely lose my sense of smell, but it was seriously alterd. The best example I have is when bacon was frying I swore I could smell popcorn. It took over a year before my sense of smell returned to normal.