June 19-25, 2024

Options
SarahMaxx
SarahMaxx Posts: 1,939 Member
edited June 19 in Social Groups
LW: 132.0
TW: 130.6

I'm happy to see this, especially since I struggled a bit with just not feeling quite up to par during the past week. I think some is stress and some is weather. Lois, I know that our temps seem mild to you, but our heat is always accompanied by awful humidity. You can feel the heavy air bearing down on you. So my outdoor hilly walks were very limited and the few times I did walk outside, I mostly kept to the flat walking paths around our immediate neighborhood. I've also been busy with appointments this week (eye doctor and primary care doc) and a couple of days I got on the TM until around 10 p.m. with only a couple of thousand steps. But I managed to hit 10K every day but two, and I made up for those on the other days. So my 7-day averages were:

Steps: 10,575
Kcals burned: 1,713

For an update on the biopsy, my PCP has checked every day for cancellations, but so far, nothing has opened up. I'm still scheduled for July 18. That might not be so bad considering the extent of this bruising. I saw my doc yesterday for what should have just been a blood pressure check, but ended up being mostly about my chest! She said she has seen this before, but usually following a biopsy and not the mammogram and ultrasound. (It is really wicked bad.) But she gave me some encouragement by saying once again that the lumps that are most concerning are those that are hard and fixed, while this one is smooth and movable. She also told me that she had a smooth lump biopsied herself and it was benign. However, she also said that once something is found, it generally means a diagnostic mammogram every year. Arghhh!! Anyway, I'm still sore but trying to just keep to a normal routine to keep my brain from engaging in a "what if" worry pattern.

My doc also started me on lisinopril (sp?) to get my BP down a bit (It was142/88 yesterday) and she suggested that I take part in a program that transmits data from a device they provide back to my PCP so she can closely monitor my BP and provide any feedback as we get the meds worked out. It sounds good in some ways, but I know they will bill Medicare and my supplement, and I will have to pay any applicable co-pays. After years of not having many medical bills, I am getting concerned about my insurance rate for the supplement going way up with all these new costs. Anyone have any thoughts about that?

Sheesh, that European trip sounds just divine. I'll be sure to get more info from you whenever we are able to plan our own. You certainly have a busy summer ahead! :smiley:

Lois, I hope that you got a good report from the ortho. Let us know what he said.

If we don't hear from Kelly soon, I am going to tap her by email or on FB just to make sure all is okay. I suspect, it's just a super busy time.

I got up the other day and was feeling a little down because of the soreness and worry, but just as I got my coffee, we heard from a close friend that his family's farm near Lake Sonoma was one of the ones caught in the wildfire the night before. They lost a 100-year-old barn, and a guest house was damaged. The family home was spared though, and his mother and sister were evacuated safely. So I immediately recognized that the universe is not picking on me. (This is the friend who loves baking and keeps us well supplied in cookies and cupcakes.)

Well, got to run. You know the year's almost half gone, and I haven't really established a lot of new goals. Does "surviving" count for now? :smile:

Replies

• GaGasheesh
    GaGasheesh Posts: 1,107 Member
    edited June 20
    Options
    LW: 134.8
    TW: 134.4

Sorry to have not logged on yesterday, but the day got away from me and last night when I was able to get on my laptop, it wasn't charged. I've been really busy, and last night we had family zoom, the last one until we get back. Everyone has lots of plans, kids camps, swimming, rowing, on and on. (My oldest granddaughter in OR is on a rowing crew and loves it. She's so petite, it's amazing she's strong enough, but she is.)

Well, I'm glad and lucky to have a small reduction, especially because we had take-out last night. I've been keeping up my exercise and golf lessons really well, so it will be interesting to see how I do on this trip. The boat (ship?) doesn't have a gym or spa because it's a small river boat, so the only exercise I'll get is walking, but there'll be a lot of that. And one day we scheduled an electric bike ride (you can pedal if you want) along the Danube River. And, of course, lots of food available :D

Sarah, congratulations on your 2 pound reduction. That's a lot. I also see that you've got over 1,700 cal average, difficult to get for us. Great job. I can't understand the bruising you had. What in the world? Was the tech just not very good, or too good in trying to get good images? Do you take aspirin? It's sounding more and more like your lump is benign, but I hope you can get in earlier. Maybe even before your Birthday? <3

I take Lisinopril for blood pressure. The lowest dose, but a few years back my doctor added Hydrochlorothyozide (HCTZ) to it, so it's a combo pill. That's basically a water pill to help kidneys and it brings BP down. It's an old and inexpensive medication (Lisinopril) that works really well and has other benefits (prevents heart failure I think). BUT, it can give some people a dry cough. It did that to my hubby, so he has to take a more expensive alternative for BP. I don't think your BP is all that high, so it might be a good idea to buy a home BP monitor and check it throughout different times of the day. Personally, I wouldn't want to participate in a monitoring program. Not sure why, lol. Just doesn't appeal or seem necessary.

Lois, like Sarah, I was hoping to see a post about the latest with your ortho doc. I hope you're doing well, and enjoying your pool, and that work isn't horrible. Post when you can. I wonder if you're going back to Disneyland this weekend?

Gotta run to a much needed haircut.

• Lastchancelj
    Lastchancelj Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Well ladies...sadly my ortho isn't until h 27th!!! It's still pretty sensitive but I'm able to walk, just not sleep very well. And it's still very puffy. So I want to be sure there's no infection or figure out whatever is causing the swelling and tenderness. So I'll update you next Friday after the doc visit.

I met with my old trainer/friend the other night. Her daughter is having a baby and I wanted to drop off a gift. We chatted for about an hour. Sadly, when I left, I still didn't have the itch to go back to a trainer. I don't know what is in my brain that turned off. I can't seem to give two craps about my weight, size, eating or exercising at the moment... so I need to figure that out.

We leave Friday night to Cali for a funeral. One of hubby's auntie's passed away a few weeks ago and the services were just scheduled. We were talking to my daughter about the funeral and travel plans. Hubby detoured our plans. Following the services, we are going to save some money and stay at a hotel in Anaheim, not Covina, and of course it's within walking distance to the happiest place on earth. LOL. His logic was that the hotel is the same distance and this one is cheaper and more fun. We will head to mom's gravesite on Sunday morning and then connect with our friends for lunch before we head home. I did take Monday off to recover from travelling.

Still unsure what to do to get back "in the game". Oh and Sarah - I get the humidity. We feel it when we go to Cali and I remember what it was like when I used to go back to Boston in the summer. I feel for ya - I really really do. I'm impressed with the both of you and your successes. One day, my brain will decide to engage and move forward.

I've seen Kelly posting on FB. She seems like she's busy with the family and her new cabin. Summer hockey too. She's a mom to some active kids.

• SarahMaxx
    SarahMaxx Posts: 1,939 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday, ladies. I just saw a clip that Kelly posted of their dog retrieving a stick from the lake. So I'm pretty sure she's doing fine, just trying to get in as much lake time as she can between work and the kids' sports.

Sheesh, I'm wary of that dry cough thing with a higher dose of lisinoprel and I AM coughing some the last couple of days. But since I also seem to have come down with hubby's cold, I can't really tell what is what yet. Hubby came down with a head and chest cold last weekend, tested negative for Covid several times, but still slept in the guest room to try to spare me. However, yesterday I woke up with that "something ain't right" feeling accompanied by a scratchy throat and some congestion. So in a little while, I am going to take a Covid test myself, just in case, and then I'll have to wait out this cold to determine the source of the cough.

In the meantime, my left breast is still blue and sore and I'm still hoping for an earlier appointment. We've often thought about leaving this area for somewhere that is less expensive, but have hesitated because the less expensive places often do not have good medical care. But apparently they do have quicker medical care in some cases. I got a phone call yesterday from my first cousin who lives near Asheville, NC. She said my adopted brother told her about my lump and she wanted to let me know that she is going through the same thing. They found calcifications in one breast when she had a mammogram, and because it's just one breast, sent her for an utrasound and then recommended a biopsy. She had that yesterday. But get this. All of this took place in a 2-week period compared to my 2-month period! It might help that she and her husband are nurse practitioners and probably know some folks, but what a difference. Anyway, she's waiting for results.

And I appreciate the "atta girl's," but I'm afraid I won't get one next week. It has been too hot to get outside (and it's hotter every day and will be for a few more days, hitting triple digits tomorrow), and with this cold, I've not felt up to as much time on the TM. I think I finally got about 9K on Wednesday and a little over 8K yesterday. I just have no pep. :(

Sheesh, I hope you have a ball on this trip and do not worry about activity or intake. I'm sure you'll get lots of activity as you take in all the sights, and goodness--do enjoy the food! How often do you get to eat the foods of another country?

Lois, yes, please do let us know about your leg. And try to stay off of it as much as you can during the Cali trip this weekend. Regarding your motivation, it's hard getting back on track. You've taken care of your MIL, and given extra time to your work, and you're always doing something for the kids and grands. So it's time for you to take some time and do things just for yourself. You deserve it, and I know you'll get there.

Well, off to take that Covid test. (And just as I typed that sentence, my Fitbit band broke and it fell right off my arm! Good thing I have a spare!) :p Have a safe and fun weekend everyone.
  • Lastchancelj
    Lastchancelj Posts: 1,312 Member
    edited June 25
    Options
    Back from another trip to Cali. Made it to the funeral. While very emotional (the pics also include my MIL and Uncle (her brother) and just added some sadness) it was truly great to see the family. It was very small. The majority was our San Diego family and us. Following the funeral and reception, we headed to the hotel in Anaheim and did a 4 hour visit to Mouse House... Just watched the fireworks and Fantasmic! shows. And rode Peter Pan. It so nice that we don't have the pressure of being there "all day" to get our money's worth. We really are getting our money's worth from these annual passes. Sunday we woke early and headed north again to Mom's gravesite. We just sat there for a bit and talked. No pressure. Hubby was happy we stopped. We met some very dear friends from high school for a brunch/lunch before leaving town. It was a great visit. We got on the road later than we normally do, but it was time well spent. We truly enjoyed our visit. I took Monday off. Got the car washed and a couple of short errands. Contacted the cemetery as Mom still doesn't have her flower vase and I ordered her flowers (they remove flowers every Tuesday, and I didn't have cash for the roadside flower people). She and my VeronaMom will both get red, white and blue carnations next Wednesday for the holiday. It was blazing hot in Cali. We encountered a monsoon storm on the drive home - it felt like an unmanned car wash on steroids with the velocity of the rain fall. The rain and clouds looked really cool in the distance, but driving through, seriously, my car was cleaned of the bugs we hit prior to the storm. I did get the car cleaned yesterday, but it was mainly to ensure they cleaned up chips from the drive. I napped a few hours yesterday, sat down and knocked out - not planned. I swear the driving back and forth is exhausting.

We go back to Cali for the holiday weekend, just not to Disneyland. We'll be hanging in the San Diego area with family....just enjoying our family. No hustle/bustle. Kelsie and Cameron's mom called Friday evening to tell me she and her new hubby were also going to be staying at my daughter's for that same weekend. I honestly got overwhelmed (I also had just woken up from a migraine attack and was preparing to leave for the funeral). I am just too planned out at the moment. She was rattling off things to do and see. Not realizing I was using my voice and not just my inside my brain thoughts, I said, I just wanted a calm weekend, maybe we should cancel. So that threw Pennie off a little. Oops. We're still going, but I was looking forward to just hanging out and relaxing. Also, Kelsie (12yo granddaughter) had invited herself to come along with me and Grandpa to visit her Auntie/Uncle, but even that was a bit more than I had planned, but I said yes. And then the challenge I presented was how she gets from the other side of town to my house to leave Wednesday as I had no spare time that day to drive 2 hours to pick her up and come home. I am preparing to be on vacation for two weeks beginning the 4th. Her mom suggested I could meet her about 20 miles away to pick her up. Nope. You can either bring her to me to ride with us, or she can ride with you all of the way, to and from. Those are the options. I sounded mean when I said it, but truly I had stressed several times that I would have no spare time on Wednesday to leave my desk. I reminded her that this wasn't a "hey, we want to bring Kelsie to San Diego". Kelsie had facetimed me and asked if she could come with us, She, her hubby, my SIL and her parents were on the call and commenting. I was very clear in that conversation that one of them would have to bring her to me on Wednesday. Gosh. Work is insane at the moment. I'm actually planning on bringing my laptop and stuff as sales are selling like crazy. My desk is abnormally busy. I'm going to to be 60 in a month and I'm sounding old and crotchety.

Sorry for the rant.

Still no mindset to healthier eating or lifestyle. I have ortho this week and then my annual physical July 18. I also need to get into the optometrist and dentist.

Sarah - you seem to have VA or Tri-Care waiting times (or the new hospital system we have up here) it's also a couple of weeks out. But not as long as you have to wait. Hopefully they can get in sooner. I'm sure it's all going to be negative. Positive vibes = positive results. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Sheesh - I think you're already heading to Europe. Have a great time
    Kelly- keep posting on FB and we'll know you're doing ok.