Living The Lifestyle - Monday 6/24/24

Options
crewahl
crewahl Posts: 4,000 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday-misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: It’s not the heat . . .

. . . or is it?

What, if anything, did you do differently in terms of activity with the recent Heat Dome seemingly affecting all of us? (Can’t see that without thinking Thunder Dome.)

Replies

• Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Summertime in Texas means 95 degree highs up into the 100s. I run inside on a treadmill, wear shorts and look for shady places to park the car.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Here in south Florida I switched 4 pm walk in the park to the elliptical at the gym a couple of times. Just got tired of the heat. A couple days there has been zero breeze.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,310 Member
    Options
    Philtex wrote: »
    Summertime in Texas means 95 degree highs up into the 100s. I run inside on a treadmill, wear shorts and look for shady places to park the car.

I grew up in Amarillo.

Several years ago, I wrote a short story set in the Panhandle, which actually got published. Prior to publication, I read it in a writers' group, and I got to a place where I described opening the door of a car that had been parked for quite a long time. I described how massively hot air whooshed out of the car, into the outdoor air. A couple of folks laughed. One person did not laugh and said, "I don't get it." One of the people who HAD laughed chuckled and said, "You're not from Texas, are you?"

• Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    If it's too hot outside, I stay inside in AC cooled house. Lucky me!
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Greg - I know that hot air in the car very well, not to mention not being able to touch the steering wheel.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,031 Member
    Options
    Or gets got in Georgia to. However I'm blessed to be in North Georgia and close to Lake Sydney Lanier. We hit 93° today. I stay in side most of the time except to run errands and meet appointments.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 6,014 Member
    Options
    Drink Lots of water, Exercise at the air conditioned YMCA instead of outdoors, Change the dogs walking path to one with the most shade, park in the shade whenever possible, etc.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,016 Member
    Options
    We have always tried to run in the early morning, and that's even more useful these days before the day really heats up. We also choose shadier streets for our runs. Unfortunately (or perhaps, fortunately), I've had to take time off from running because of an injury, so I've been using the exercise bike inside instead.

The rest is all mostly obvious: look for shade, avoid the hottest part of the day, wear a hat, sunscreen and/or a sun-protective shirt, etc.

Utah used to get into the 100's for a couple of weeks every summer. Now that we're in Ohio, I'm really appreciating the difference between a "dry heat" and a humid area!