Ground Turkey

Options
Al_Howard
Al_Howard Posts: 8,145 Member
Before the haters attack, it's TOL's idea.
Just looking for one or two tried and true recipes.

Replies

• crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 4,000 Member
    Options
    Not a hater, but when I’ve looked it seems 93% fat free ground beef is about the same points - so I’ve stuck with that.
  • Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey instead of ground beef in standard meat loaf recipe. It tastes a little drier, but otherwise ok.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,310 Member
    Options
    The key to ground turkey is proper prep.

If you're doing a ground beef - not patty - type of dish (e.g., meat sauce for spaghetti, or chili), this is what I used to do.

1) Sautee some onions and garlic and perhaps some bell pepper of some sort.
    2) Place your ground turkey into the pan with liquid broth (beef, chicken, veggie - Better Than Bullion is my favorite broth base) and very slowly simmer it until it is mostly dry. Then add your other ingredients (e.g., tomatoes, beans, fresh/frozen veggies).

It will come out tasting very much like beef.

Good for spaghetti, chili, sloppy joe's, loose meat sandwiches, tacos, burritos, et cetera.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Not a hater but agree it’s all about fat content. Been doing some research this week but haven’t reached any conclusions.

I started out looking to make my own chicken sausage. Initially was looking at skinless chicken breast but recipes suggested I needed some fat either using thighs or adding olive oil.

Then I started looking at turkey, which much to my surprise appears to be more expensive than chicken unless I can get a whole bird on sale.

Investigation continues.
  • Brian_19
    Brian_19 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Turkey meatballs (Mayo Clinic Diet)

I wasn't enthusiastic about ground turkey, but I gave these a try and they were pretty good. I ended up using them in homemade soups.
  • crewahl
    Options
    Couldn’t resist the comparison. Seems ground turkey vs ground beef is a pretty clear example of WW funding zero point foods with their Sin Tax on fat. Theres a slight difference in calories, but the primary difference is in fat.

rdlfah4o8thm.png
    fddg88tud2sd.png
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,145 Member
    Options
    crewahl wrote: »
    Couldn’t resist the comparison. Seems ground turkey vs ground beef is a pretty clear example of WW funding zero point foods with their Sin Tax on fat. Theres a slight difference in calories, but the primary difference is in fat.

rdlfah4o8thm.png
    fddg88tud2sd.png

And that's why the cardiologist prefers the turkey.
  • crewahl
    edited June 27
    Options
    Al_Howard wrote: »
    crewahl wrote: »
    And that's why the cardiologist prefers the turkey.

I’ll let the cardiologist eat it. Considering that 93% has 72.5% less fat than the 75% fat free (3@ gm vs 113 gm), this is one of those “good enough” decisions for me. 😉
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I've been making this for years and LOVE it. As written, there's a bit of heat, but you can tweak it to your liking. I've never used the 99% lean, but I've been thinking about trying it.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/229989/turkey-breakfast-sausage/
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,031 Member
    Options
    Sorry Al I don't have a recipe because we very rarely eat ground turkey or ground chicken. I don't have anything against it other that there was a comment about it being dryer. The lower fat content is certainly a big plus.