Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

New to the Forum

KnittingDragon
KnittingDragon Posts: 12 Member
I have CRPS, CFS and recently fell and broke my left femur just above the knee! (well by recent I mean the end of April), I am trying to get back to using my crutches but panic attacks are stopping me (so still using a walking frame for the few steps I manage around the house), I really need to lose weight to take pressure of the right ankle (the CRPS) and now my left leg, and support/ideas would be welcomed :tired_face:

Replies

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,452 Member
    No experience with crps.
    For fibro and cfs, wore a cheap pedometer, averaged my steps for a week. Aimed for that many steps +1.
    Took a long time, but it did get better. Of course I tried to eat healthy, too.
    Wish you the best. Patience. Slow and steady. Celebrate the small victories.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,945 Member
    Panic attacks are a PITA.
    Take it slow.
    That’s my advice.
    Get up and give it a try as frequently as you can. And if you begin to feel panic, take a rest and try again as soon as you can. Don’t beat yourself up over the feelings of panic. It’s just a bodily response to something that happened to you. It will pass.

Eventually you’ll move past the anxiety.

If it doesn’t get better, consider setting up an appointment with a professional to discuss what’s happening, and individualized ideas to help you get through it.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,359 Member
    edited August 17
    ouch!

these kinds of injuries simply take more time for healing and also extra tlc to avoid additional or reinjury, huh? It used to be so easy to rebound after a scratch, scrape or sprain!

so, personally, I get overwhelmed when I focus on a whole long process.... It helps me to truly focus on what I can do today, and the plan for this week - given all the things happening in the week between doctors appointments and obligations. around that - then what can we do to help ourself - eat in ways that helps our body heal. sleep and rest as needed so we don't overuse our injury areas. Adapt intentional movement so we help our body heal and strengthen. And I also like to do something positive, upbeat like be with other people who are also working on the same kinds of things, like here.

For movement, a pool is really helpful, but if that is not available... there is so much available online that is upbeat and provides a variety of things to try. For warmup and flexibility, range of motion, easing aches, I like Sherry Zak chair exercise videos.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKkGoUYruEo

another favorite host with a lot of chair variety is Paul Eugene
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKy0mlUMJ_c
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited August 18
    I take buspirone for anxiety. I take it at night and it really helps me sleep.

It's been a long time since I had panic attacks, but I found breathing really useful. Sure, we all breathe, but there are many different ways to breath.

I'm a veteran and get Om Practice for free though my VAMC, but I see there's a free breathing class next week.

Here are the free classes for August and September

I highly recommend Eric's Breathwork class: 08/27/24, 7:00am EST. Sorry about the early time! As a member, I have access to him in the video library so I can do it on my own time:

Live and interactive class: https://app.ompractice.com/c/breathwork-eric-brown-tuesday?classId=23110
    Video library: https://app.ompractice.com/video-library?opuuid=f4665c0d-0a8c-48e8-9715-6454a925af5a&utm_medium=share#breathwork-breathwork-with-eric-brown-30min

More recently, my chemical sensitivity came back after family trauma and I found regularly practicing the Three Part Complete Yogic Breath helped with that tremendously. I was doing biofeedback at the VA - the principle is cardiac coherence. Biofeedback teaches a different breathing pattern, but the three part breath gave me a higher (very high!) rate of coherence.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/proper-breathing-brings-better-health/
  • KnittingDragon
    KnittingDragon Posts: 12 Member
    Panic attacks are a PITA.
    Take it slow.
    That’s my advice.
    Get up and give it a try as frequently as you can. And if you begin to feel panic, take a rest and try again as soon as you can. Don’t beat yourself up over the feelings of panic. It’s just a bodily response to something that happened to you. It will pass.

Eventually you’ll move past the anxiety.

If it doesn’t get better, consider setting up an appointment with a professional to discuss what’s happening, and individualized ideas to help you get through it.

I only get the panic attacks with one set of crutches, with my others and the frame I am okay (just frustrated at only being able to move a few feet before the pain is too bad).