Healthy UK food ideas

Options
Hi,

I thought I would set up a thread for us to post and share our favourite healthy products available in the UK :)

Replies

• emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    My favourite healthy foods at the moment:

1) Fage 0% Greek yogurt. And the version that includes a little corner of fruit compote in blueberry or strawberry flavours.

2) M&S steak and ale casserole in a pot. under 300 cals - feels and tastes like over 600 cals.

3) Skimmed milk in my coffee. Can I taste the difference? Nope. Converting to skimmed in everything now.

4) Brussel sprouts - bring on Christmas, 'sans' all the mince pies and 'avec' the yummy seasonal veg.

5) ^^ Having said that, My own mince pies are under 80 cals a pop. You'd probably want to have 2 at a time though because they are tiny and very very good :laugh:
  • Molly_Louise
    Options
    Hartley's jelly! Barely any calories in the sugar free version but in the sugared version :noway:

Anyway, somewhere between 5 and 15 calories per pot/bowl of Hartley's jelly so it's very low. Despite being the 'sugar free'/'reduced sugar' version, it's still very sweet so I felt like I was still having a sugar treat minus the cals!
  • babbityboo
    babbityboo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hartley's jelly! Barely any calories in the sugar free version but in the sugared version :noway:

Anyway, somewhere between 5 and 15 calories per pot/bowl of Hartley's jelly so it's very low. Despite being the 'sugar free'/'reduced sugar' version, it's still very sweet so I felt like I was still having a sugar treat minus the cals!

This!! They also do 10 cal pots for on the go! Some really nice flavours too!
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I like the Hartley's jelly pots too but hubby doesn't like jelly at all (weirdo) so I don't have it often.

Oh, I recently tried the Shape Rhubarb Crumble yoghurts (just flavoured, no actual crumble) and they were fab :)

I also like the tesco lighter choices sausages - only 150 or so cals for 2 sausages

Sainsbury's be good to yourself bacon is also very low cal
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Porridge. Great winter breakfast, made with oatmeal, water and a wee bit salt.
  • Mariannewww
    Options
    Weight watchers yoghurts and quavers at like 100cals a pack I'm worried about what they are putting in them nowadays something addictive? I find it difficult not to have a bag a day.
  • jellybeans13
    jellybeans13 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like Hartley's jelly too, smells lovely when you make it as well :)

I'm also a fan of quorn, especially the mince instead of using beef in cottage pie etc (I'm not vegetarian either lol)

Babybell light are great and only 40 calories
  • LilMissFoodie
    Options
    Oh yeah, quorn! I really like the salmon style fishcakes and they are pretty low cal. Also, I make the most filling lunch ever for work by mixing half a pack of quorn chicken style pieces with half a can of chickpeas and salad veg - comes out at about 250 cals :)
  • clarech82
    clarech82 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with littlemissfoodie on the s
    hape rhubarb crumble im an addict!

Tesco low fat cottage cheese with pineapple is another favorite of mine and porridge with rasins yummy!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Anne have you tried a spoonful or two of single malt in yer porridge? :wink:

That's how my dad makes it and it's very tasty, especially with some Canadian maple syrup.

He's 80 now and in the peak of health :happy:

My favourite "healthy" breakfast is Ryvita with low-fat cottage cheese and either smoked salmon slices or thin lean ham. Ca. 95kc per Ryvita and ticks all my boxes :tongue:

I also have a fantastically simple dinner/lunch recipe for Fishy Rice.

I use the Tesco fish pie mix (frozen - half packet) and poach in some milk with some dill in a deep frying pan.
    I then add some King Prawns and let the prawns cook (or come to, if frozen) and then I add some frozen peas and/or sweetcorn.
    Let that bubble away for a couple of minutes then I add a packet of microwave rice (Tilda egg-fried's my choice) and then cook through for another couple of minutes until all the liquid is soaked up.

I usually have enough for 3 generous portions an it come to 299kc a portion. I eat this with Tesco coriander and garlic mini naans quartered... which are a staple of my diet anyhow. :bigsmile:
  • LilMissFoodie
    Options
    Anne have you tried a spoonful or two of single malt in yer porridge? :wink:

That's how my dad makes it and it's very tasty, especially with some Canadian maple syrup.

He's 80 now and in the peak of health :happy:

hahaha My hubby's Grandma just turned 95 and she is still in great health - still has all her marbles so to speak, potters around her house including up the stairs, still drives and still plays golf every week! She attributes it to being preserved in all the red wine she drinks ;)
  • nothingisred
    Options
    Oh, I recently tried the Shape Rhubarb Crumble yoghurts (just flavoured, no actual crumble) and they were fab :)

I looked for these the other day when I saw you talk about them in your status but couldn't find them :( I really like the Shape Caramel and Chocolate ones though, they're only about 100 cals a pot.

This isn't exaclty healthy but I've been buying a lot of French Fancies at the moment, they're 106 cals a cake and they do the trick to quel my sweet tooth. Probably doesn't help that whenever I walk into Sainsburys they have a big display of them constantly on offer for £1! They had orange halloween ones in October and come November 1st they changed them to white Christmas ones!
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Oooh, I love French Fancies. I'm owrried I'd heat the whole box tho. Might have to give them to my hubby so that he can ration them to me.

I would recommend Sainsburys Basics Rice Pudding. 158cals for half a tin (less than the Be Good to Yourself version), really creamy and thick plus it's only 15p a can! You would never know it was a basics one. Only ingredients are rice, milk, sugar and a little preservative too.

I had the quorn fajita strips in a salad the other day, they were yummy!

If you want a real 'naughty' treat the new Gu Cherry Bakewell puds are only 188cals each which I think is a real bargain considering how creamy they are.

I like to throw chick peas into a salad as they are filling and I love the taste.

The Nakd 'Nudie' bars are nice. They have between 130 and 160 cals each. You can get them in Holland & Barrett. I ordered a box from their website as it worked out cheaper. http://www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk/
  • nothingisred
    Options
    I would recommend Sainsburys Basics Rice Pudding. 158cals for half a tin (less than the Be Good to Yourself version), really creamy and thick plus it's only 15p a can! You would never know it was a basics one. Only ingredients are rice, milk, sugar and a little preservative too.

Bloody hell that rice pudding is amazing! I also compared it with Ambrosia's "low fat" rice pudding and it completely trumped that too. For 15p I think I'll be stocking up next time I go shopping. I do love Sainsburys basics.
    The Nakd 'Nudie' bars are nice. They have between 130 and 160 cals each. You can get them in Holland & Barrett. I ordered a box from their website as it worked out cheaper. http://www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk/

I keep seeing them about at the moment, what do they actually taste like? They look like they'd be quite chewy?

That's reminded me I quite like those Fibre Plus bars, they're really chocolatey so quite a good fix. I haven't bought any for a while though...I may need to go healthy snack shopping at this rate...!
  • SuzMcH
    SuzMcH Posts: 343 Member
    Options

5) ^^ Having said that, My own mince pies are under 80 cals a pop. You'd probably want to have 2 at a time though because they are tiny and very very good :laugh:

I would love your mince pie recipe if they are only 80 cals each. I looked at a box of Mr Kipling mince pies the other day and they were over 200 cals each.

My favourite things just now
    I've swapped ryvita for ryvita original crackerbread. Only 19cals a slice
    Weight watchers ricj choc dessert pot, only 62cals each
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Anne have you tried a spoonful or two of single malt in yer porridge? :wink

I prefer my Laphroaig in a glass! Not sure that I'd make it to work if I started doing what you suggest. Might make for some interesting lessons though.
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Bloody hell that rice pudding is amazing! I also compared it with Ambrosia's "low fat" rice pudding and it completely trumped that too. For 15p I think I'll be stocking up next time I go shopping. I do love Sainsburys basics.

I keep seeing them about at the moment, what do they actually taste like? They look like they'd be quite chewy?

That's reminded me I quite like those Fibre Plus bars, they're really chocolatey so quite a good fix. I haven't bought any for a while though...I may need to go healthy snack shopping at this rate...!

Yes, they are nice. All compressed dried fruit. Tasty but healthy!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    For 119 calories, these are, to me, the nicest dessert I've had in a long, long time!

toffee-honeycomb-sundae.jpg
  • Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    For 119 calories, these are, to me, the nicest dessert I've had in a long, long time!

toffee-honeycomb-sundae.jpg

I generally try to avoid Weight Watchers products. I don't know about their ice creams, but lots of their products are just as unhealthy as a traditional product, but they have smaller portion sizes, slap a "X calories per portion" label on the packet and sell it at twice the price. The example I always come back to is their crisps. They sell a multipack with 16 gram packets and they're something like 90 calories a packet. Whereas Walkers are in a 27 gram packet at about 150 calories. When taking into account the packet size there is hardly any difference between the two, and Weight Watchers charge a fortune for theirs under the pretence that they're healthier. It's a rip off.

Anyway, rant over, I like to use extra light Philadelphia. It's so versatile. You can have it in sandwiches, on a baked potato, use a load of recipes. All sorts of stuff. Supermarkets all do their own brand light cheese spread too, which is cheaper and tasty too.
  • Deirdre_R
    Deirdre_R Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    hahaha My hubby's Grandma just turned 95 and she is still in great health - still has all her marbles so to speak, potters around her house including up the stairs, still drives and still plays golf every week! She attributes it to being preserved in all the red wine she drinks ;)

she's a lucky lady and a great inspiration!