Welcome! Introductions here

Options
MrsSpratt
MrsSpratt Posts: 200 Member
Hi everyone! In this group, I'm hoping we will be able to help each other along by giving and getting the extra support we need to make it to our goals while dealing with added injuries.

My name is Caroline and I have been on MFP for about 2 months. I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot and it's really curtailing my exercise capabilities right now. It's very painful and I am trying to not get too frustrated. I have another 80 or so pounds to lose and I do not want this problem to get in the way of that goal.

Replies

• goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Hello.

I don't know the techie names, but I have stress fractures in both legs from running too much/too far/too fast this year.

Currently recovering through rest and physio. Looking forward to getting back to running soon, but doing it properly next time.
  • jadebvb92
    Options
    Hello all i'm Jade. I currently have a suspected Sciatic Nerve pinched in my back that is causing severe pain through my left hip, lower back, and left leg.

I say suspected because my doctor believes it is getting better and won't order the MRI with Dye to see what really is going on. It's not getting better..missed out on class and the gym today because i was in so much pain
  • Devol
    Devol Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    hi everyone

well i have whats called Gilmours groin and can only be repaired with surgery but thats not for me. to be honest it doesnt bother me that much so i put up with it.

i have not trained in 4 weeks due to vacation, so i decided on a 5 mile run yesterday ended up with pain behind my left knee, another 5 miles today and im in agony,

so its rest time for me again boohoo

Devol :-)
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi Caroline! Thanks for starting this group. I have had plantar fascitis in the past, it's very painful and you have my sympathy! I always work out with brace on my left arch now so it doesn't come back, and so far that has helped. I also invested in some good quality shoes that were properly fitted at a running store, and those made a world of difference.

My name is Allison. I'm currently dealing with sciatica from a bulging disc, and I know that getting some weight off will be a big help. I'm trying to lose weight while strengthening my back and ab muscles to help support the spine.

I also have Celiac Disease, so I am gluten free, which makes eating a daily challenge!
  • crisscrossin
    Options
    I'm Karen - I lost 80 lbs over the past 5 years. 6 more to go. I also had a heart attack this past June - I'm 47 with no risk factors (other than being obese 5 years ago - but not recently). I've spent the past 3 months in cardiac rehab, which has gotten me in great shape. But, I overdid it in the gym (after our pool closed) and my hip has flared up. I have a labral tear in it. I may need another cortisone shot. I'm really discouraged by it right now. Fortunately, I can swim which I do enjoy, but everything else is off the table right now.
  • jvan1957
    jvan1957 Posts: 114
    Options
    Hi:

My name is John, I'm 54 years old and have been disabled due to a massive heart attack since 2004. I also suffer from diabetes, diabetic neuropathy, and back injuries from car accident. Other than that I am doing my best to get in some exercise every day and appreciate getting as well as giving support.
  • MrsSpratt
    Options
    I'm so glad you all are here!

Karen, I've been getting really discouraged, too, which is why I started the group. I really don't want to give up!
  • flht25
    flht25 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My name is Jeff and I am struggling with plantar fascitis as well. I was training for a half marathon and now will not be able to participate in the race. I have roughly 30-40 pounds left to lose. I also want to run a half ironman sometime next year.

I have a consult with a sports massage therapist and will be getting some better shoes.

Any insight on recovery would be helpful.
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Hi!

My name is Ronney and I am glad to find this group:)

What can hinder my work outs is my fibromyalgia (diagnosed 13 years ago). But I am living with it and not suffering from it. There is always SOMETHING I can do, even if its 10 minutes at a time. I also have arthritis in my hands and in my feet which make it hard, but I'm still doing it:) Oh! and I injured my knee about a month or so ago, and i'm still have problems with it, it will heal in time though.

I'm pretty proud of myself and thanks for starting this group!

Ronney
  • MrsSpratt
    Options
    My name is Jeff and I am struggling with plantar fascitis as well. I was training for a half marathon and now will not be able to participate in the race. I have roughly 30-40 pounds left to lose. I also want to run a half ironman sometime next year.

I have a consult with a sports massage therapist and will be getting some better shoes.

Any insight on recovery would be helpful.
    I need better shoes, too.

Right now, I'm seeing a physical therapist and my doctor wants to give me a cortisone shot. I had been reluctant to get the shot, but I think I'm going to give in. The PT taped my foot yesterday and it was really uncomfortable, so I think inserts are out.

I hope the massage therapist helps.
  • flht25
    flht25 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I will let you know how it turns out. My race is supposed to be this weekend.
  • MomOfRose
    MomOfRose Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi, all. My name is Michelle and I am struggling with pain in both knees. When I injured my knees in junior high school, the doctor said I had chondromalasia and gave me exercises to do to "fix" them. Through research I have discovered that what likely happened when both knees went out were injuries to my ACLs. I now have chronic pain and arthritis in both knees. No matter what level of fitness/weight I've been in, my knees are ticking time bombs; I never know when they'll go out on me and render that leg useless for the next week. This weight loss journey has been tough, but I'm slowly getting to my goal.

I'm looking forward to reading ideas from folks who also suffer with chronic pain and are trying to be more fit.

1771784.png
  • tas57
    tas57 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    :laugh: hi ~~~ my name is Tar (nick name by my brother) and I have had injury after injury knee surgery and bunion removal so I do mostly yoga walk a mile and trying to do more but the old knee says no or the rt foot says no so I do what I can each day I have the wii fit and it works at times I'm on the day 85 with exercise whatever I can do for 10 mins or 30 mins per day so not very productive but clothes are loose, and so I will just keep trying take it one day at a time and glad to here that there is other people that do not over do it everyday I always feel so guilty and a failure and cannot do a hour work out any longer........OMG I'm feeling to so sorry for myself and then I quit give and keep getting back on the wagon so it is a circle of dysfunction and failure for me...anyway I have complained enough and :explode: first I should ask if I can join the group ~~~!!!:sad: ???? I can be supportive but I always over do it !!!~~??why??? I have just started NOV 1, 2011, right now I have plantar F!!!!!!###***:grumble: and sore heels:bigsmile: Maybe I whine too much:drinker:
  • jadebvb92
    Options
    I don't know of alot of the injuries that you guys may have but i am here to give the most support possible
  • grannisue
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I am glad to find this group. I am one of those with countless medical conditions. Mine start with a undiagnosed broken ankle over 20 yrs. ago. The dr. said it was a bad sprain. Well, years of pain and 5 surgeries later I finally had a total ankle fusion two years ago. I will never be completely pain free but somehow you learn to live with the pain. I also have pre-diabetes, have partially torn both rotator cuffs, arthritis in my back and a weird condition called vaso depressor syncope. My blood pressure can drop alarmingly fast and can cause fainting - no cure. My heart dr. said they don't know what causes it or how to cure it but they can treat it and sometimes it goes away on its own - wish my fat would. LOL Also the wonderful sleep apnea and am non compliant with the CPAP. Okay enough complaining it's time to lose and strengthen what I have left. I love my skeecher rockers because they give my ankle the flexiblity it wouldn't have because of the fusion. With them I have been able to walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes each day - of course some ibuprofen helps too. Thanks for everyone that is here.:flowerforyou:
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I was looking for a group like this because I have found myself in the "I can no longer exercise so how am I gonna lose the rest of this weight" boat. For the last 7-8 weeks I have been struggling with muscle weakness & numbness in my hands/feet/back/face. The numbness is actually a lot better but I still struggle with muscle weakness in my legs and arms. I have an appointment on Friday with a neurologist and I hope to get some answers soon. Until then...here I am eating as clean as possible and so far I've been able to continue to lose weight. Good luck to everyone!

:heart: Shanna
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm Nicole and my left knee is a hot mess. After years of having doctors tell me it was fine (even though it hurt like heck), I finally got them to give me an MRI and CT scan. Turns out what little cartilage I have is extensively damaged, and my kneecap is cracked. My knee is constantly swollen; I've given up heavy boots, high heels, avoid most stairs, and am extremely limited in my ability to work out. It sucks. Glad I'm not alone :smile:
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I am Donna...I am a moderate to severe asthmatic...That I don't let stop me from exercising, it just gets rough when the weather gets cold...and arthirits in mynhips, again I usually just work thru the pain and stiffness if I am having a bad day
    Right now I have an injury in my foot...I pulled the abductor hallicus muscle, the one that supports the arch. I knew I needed new running shoes and waited too long to get them. So I am off of exercise for 7-10 days...for me exercise and watching what I eat go hand in hand, so it has been a struggle for the past 3 days to keep my eating on track.

I am going to try just weight training, especially upper body and back, and maybe a pilates class. My foot doesn't hurt as long as I don't walk on it :) Next week I will try the elliptical instead of running ....sigh!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I have subluxing patellas (my kneecaps pop out) and fibromyalgia. Lovely, lovely combination :ohwell: I first dislocated my kneecaps my junior year of high school - ummm winter of '99? - and put on about 100 pounds over 10 years because I was told I could no longer run or do much physical activity, so I quit soccer and just did marching band (I probably shouldn't have stuck with that, but I'm a musician through and through). I recently decided to become a runner, so I suck it up and deal with the pain and I love it. No, not the pain, but the thrill of doing something that I was told I would never be able to do again.

I'm here for all of you! There's always SOMEthing we can do! :bigsmile:
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I have a rotator cuff injury, going through an arthro MRI in a couple weeks if everything goes well, but I had to tone done everything shoulder related for a month, went through physio four times, and it is still here, so I have to go through that MRI and see if I will gave to go through surgery.

I have to see that my orthopedist did the minimal testing and was overweight which led me to not trust him too much, when my physio is extremely capable and was able to relieve my shoulder a lot I was almost blocked when I saw her the first time, and it is much better now, though I can feel the pain coming back and I may see her again in a couple weeks.
    In the mean time I have one week left for my first round of P90X so I'm still pushing play (she told me I could workout as long as I dont feel any pain in my shoulder)

Good luck guys, looking for any advices to get rid of that issue permanently (that is if I dont need surgery)