Houston

Options
CeloTX
CeloTX Posts: 55 Member
Board for MFPers in the Houston area. Find a running/workout buddy or just someone local to talk to.

Replies

• glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I am in the introduction stage of running. Please feel free to add me as a friend. I need all the help I can get.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Hey! Houston here.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Houston!!!! Anyone run at Memorial Park?
  • macpatti
    Options
    I am in the introduction stage of running. Please feel free to add me as a friend. I need all the help I can get.

You can totally do it! When I started running 10 years ago, I could barely go for 2 minutes. I ran the full Houston marathon 7 months later (at a very slow pace)!
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hey all! South east side of H town for me. I am NOT a runner but sometimes I wish I was. I can walk a mean 5k though lol
  • macpatti
    Options
    Hey all! South east side of H town for me. I am NOT a runner but sometimes I wish I was. I can walk a mean 5k though lol

Kerri~ Remember when I tried to get you to run the marathon with me???? Good times........
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    howdy from Houston!
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hey Bry, how did you do this past weekend?
  • NoraDawn73
    Options
    (Only group closest to me....)
    A Big Saltwater Hello to everyone!
    ...20 miles from Gulf...
  • txjulie
    txjulie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I live in Spring but work down by the Galleria. I do the Galloway (run / walk / run) method of running and am training for my 1st half in March at The Woodlands Inaugral Half & full Marathon. I'm also doing the Woodlands Run Through The Woods 5 mile run on Thanksgiving morning. Feel free to add me if you need more support. : )
  • breezey77
    breezey77 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hello, Hello!!! I'm down in Sugar Land/Missouri City Area. Just trying to shape up and get fit. I can only run in 5 minute intervals right now. Good luck everyone!
  • macpatti
    Options
    Hey there! I live in Spring but work down by the Galleria. I do the Galloway (run / walk / run) method of running and am training for my 1st half in March at The Woodlands Inaugral Half & full Marathon. I'm also doing the Woodlands Run Through The Woods 5 mile run on Thanksgiving morning. Feel free to add me if you need more support. : )

I started running 6 years ago and followed Galloway's interval running method. I finished the whole Houston marathon by running 5/1 intervals! You can do it!
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Born and raised. Currently on a business trip in Orlando but can't wait to come home.

How 'bout them Texans? Let's kick some Tampa a** this weekend.
  • txjulie
    txjulie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks MacPatti! I was up to 8 miles training with the official Galloway group in August when I fell on an uneven curb (imagine that along Woodway in Houston - lol) and got a nasty level 2 sprain. I'm just now back up to 3 miles after letting the ankle heal. Anyone who is here & is intimidated by running should definitely look at the Galloway method. I finished c25k and ran an entire 5k in October 2010 so that's a great beginner's program also. I got motivated to do 1/2's by several other friends here on MFP because I never thought I would even imagine giving that a try.

I've been running on my own for now because the Galloway group meets Saturday mornings & it conflicts w/ my son's soccer schedule.

Congrats on finishing the entire marathon!!! That is wonderful. : )
  • macpatti
    Options
    Born and raised. Currently on a business trip in Orlando but can't wait to come home.

How 'bout them Texans? Let's kick some Tampa a** this weekend.

Let's go, Texans!
  • macpatti
    Options
    Everyone okay with the tornado warnings and thunderstorms? I'm southeast (toward Clear Lake). We've had out lights go out a few times and some heavy rain, but nothing worse than that here.
  • lwhitman4
    lwhitman4 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I'm on the NE side of Harris county in Crosby. Just looking for tips on local places and events. Did my 1st 5k the weekend before last @ Moody Gardens. I hike about 3 times a week and am getting tired of the one place I know to go to for hiking, so does anyone have any tips on closeby trails? I also play adult coed softball and could use MAJOR tips in that area. I love the game but really need to improve my arm and aim. I'm aces at base running though!

Good to see a bunch of Texans out for their health!

(Also, Kerri, you look soooooooo familiar! I can't place it, but maybe we've met before?)
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I am from Houston, still work in Houston time to time,
  • quichebradford
    quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Everyone okay with the tornado warnings and thunderstorms? I'm southeast (toward Clear Lake). We've had out lights go out a few times and some heavy rain, but nothing worse than that here.

There's a tornado warning?! And here I've been lollygagging (as my mom would say) around the house like everything is everything! lol
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    There is a tornado warning for Cleveland, Texas.