Races in Michigan

Options
bmfrazie
bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
I thought it might be nice to create a list of recommended MI races. The can running, biking, or anything else.

Replies

• Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I haven't done that many yet, but I will be doing the Fifth Third Riverbank Run 25k in May, 2012 in Grand Rapids!!!

Oh, and my first half marathon this September was the Park 2 Park Half Marathon in Holland... it was VERY well done!

I also really enjoyed the Tulip Time 10k I did last May... not sure if I'll do it again, it's the week before the 25k.
  • bmfrazie
    Options
    I haven't done that many yet, but I will be doing the Fifth Third Riverbank Run 25k in May, 2012 in Grand Rapids!!!

Oh, and my first half marathon this September was the Park 2 Park Half Marathon in Holland... it was VERY well done!

I also really enjoyed the Tulip Time 10k I did last May... not sure if I'll do it again, it's the week before the 25k.
    Do you know the date for the Tulip Time? I am due the first week of June but I would love to walk/jog if possible. If I wasn't expecting I def had my eye on that same race in GR.

My fav Traverse City race is the zombie run! We had a ton of fun, price was low, and it was great seeing the costumes.
  • melmarie4
    Options
    Just did the Detroit Free Press Marathon (did the relay with my friends). We had a lot of fun! One of my friends got to run on the bridge to Canada and my other friend rather through the tunnel, pretty cool! this was my first time running in an event so i don't know how it compares to other marathons but it seemed well organized to me.

i heard about the zombie run in traverse city! sounds so cool, definitely will be running in it next year!
  • melmarie4
    Options
    Just did the Detroit Free Press Marathon (did the relay with my friends). We had a lot of fun! One of my friends got to run on the bridge to Canada and my other friend rather through the tunnel, pretty cool! this was my first time running in an event so i don't know how it compares to other marathons but it seemed well organized to me.

i heard about the zombie run in traverse city! sounds so cool, definitely will be running in it next year!
  • I would love to the the Zombie Run in TC - it is my goal to run in costume one of these days!!! :)

I am in the Lansing area so The Capital City River Run Half Marathon is nice. It starts in front of the capital and goes down Michigan Ave through Michigan State University Campus and around Potter Park (our zoo). Very nice course and nice scenery. I also did the Bayshore 10K this past May.
  • Nikstergirl
    Options

Do you know the date for the Tulip Time? I am due the first week of June but I would love to walk/jog if possible. If I wasn't expecting I def had my eye on that same race in GR.

My fav Traverse City race is the zombie run! We had a ton of fun, price was low, and it was great seeing the costumes.
    [/quote

Tulip Time is May 5-12... so the 5k/10k races are May 5. What's cool is you can do them both for the price of one, and use it as a warm up to the 25k the next week!!! At least that's what they did last year... I'm thinking I may do that this year!
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    If anybody has race recommendations in Upper Michigan, I'd be especially interested! :smile:
  • bmfrazie
    Options
    If anybody has race recommendations in Upper Michigan, I'd be especially interested! :smile:

I was looking into running the locks in Sault Ste. Marie next fall. I have never ran it before but it sounds like an amazing race and they have several different distances offered. It is still a newer race so it isn't huge yet and the cost didn't seem too crazy. Plus I am sure that has to be an amazing view running over the locks and to the Canadian border.

http://www.saultstemarie.org/Marathon/chase-race-information.html

What particular area of the UP are you looking for races in?
  • bmfrazie
    Options
    ajaks1229: Are you talking about the Bayshore in TC or a different race? I also ran that 10k race last year. I was hoping to do the half this year....BUT....I am due the week after so I will not be doing even the 10k this year.
  • ajaks1229: Are you talking about the Bayshore in TC or a different race? I also ran that 10k race last year. I was hoping to do the half this year....BUT....I am due the week after so I will not be doing even the 10k this year.

Bayshore 10 K in Traverse. My friend and I are hoping to run the half in 2012! : )
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options

I was looking into running the locks in Sault Ste. Marie next fall. I have never ran it before but it sounds like an amazing race and they have several different distances offered. It is still a newer race so it isn't huge yet and the cost didn't seem too crazy. Plus I am sure that has to be an amazing view running over the locks and to the Canadian border.

http://www.saultstemarie.org/Marathon/chase-race-information.html

What particular area of the UP are you looking for races in?

I live in Ontonagon county in the western UP... the closer to home, the better for me. I probably couldn't get away for a race requiring me to stay anywhere overnight.
  • bmfrazie
    Options
    If you are planning on doing the Bayshore 1/2 or full marathon in Traverse City the registration opens on December 1st. Those two races normally fill up rather quickly. You can always register for the 10k later in the game.
  • If you are planning on doing the Bayshore 1/2 or full marathon in Traverse City the registration opens on December 1st. Those two races normally fill up rather quickly. You can always register for the 10k later in the game.

Isn't it crazy how fast it fills? I have it loaded on my calendar, so hopefully I will make it on time! :) If not, I will just register for the 10K again. Thanks for the update! :smile:
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I did the short (2.2 miles) Farmington Crop Walk last May. This year, I'm going for the 10K. In fact, I'm wearing last year's shirt right now--way too small when I got it, but it was the biggest size they had. Now, it fits nicely!
  • redhotredneck
    redhotredneck Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to run in the 5/3 event in Grand Rapids - so this year I'm going to do it! I'm not sure if I'll do the 5k or 10k, I'll make that decision closer to the date.
  • mokpochica
    mokpochica Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Big House Big Heart in Ann Arbor http://www.thebighousebigheart.com/
    Dexter Ann Arbor Run http://www.dexterannarborrun.com/
  • Nikstergirl
    Options
    I've always wanted to run in the 5/3 event in Grand Rapids - so this year I'm going to do it! I'm not sure if I'll do the 5k or 10k, I'll make that decision closer to the date.

I am going to do the 5/3 Riverbank Run this year as well... but I'm going for the 25k!!! It will be my first time, and just a month after I turn 40!!!! Started training already... it comes up crazy fast!
  • bmfrazie
    Options
    Anyone planning on doing the Detroit Free Press half in October?
  • lisab0864
    lisab0864 Posts: 154
    Options
    I've done the Mackinac Island 8 mile race twice (2011 and 2012) -- it was very nice.. Had planned on doing all three of their races this year but..............didn't work out that way. Hopefully next year. I've also done Engadine's Black Bear Run 6K race (also a 12K option) twice.. It's held on July 4th and has a very nice turnout (considering the area). The course is a killer though -- over 4K of it is in sand...
    I was thinking about doing the Detroit (free press) marathon in the next couple years but.................................training for and completing the Fox Cities Half Marathon kinda killed me... Will be sticking to 8 miles or less from now on!
  • denuyal50
    denuyal50 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    *If you are interested*
    TROT, RUN OR WALK OFF THAT TURKEY DAY DINNER WITH GIRLFRIENDS FIT CLUB AND NEW HOLLAND BREWING COMPANY, IN OUR FIRST ANNUAL TURKEY TROT IN SUPPORT OF HOLLAND RESCUE MISSION!!!

WHEN: SATURDAY NOVEMBER 24TH AT 9:00AM.

WHERE: DOWNTOWN HOLLAND STARTING AND ENDING AT NEW HOLLAND BREWING COMPANY.

DETAILS:
    THIS IS A 5K RUN OR WALK TO HELP RAISE MONEY FOR THE HOLLAND RESCUE MISSION. THE MISSION HAS HELPED FEED AND HOUSE MANY FAMILIES IN NEED. IT ONLY TAKES $2.50 TO FEED AN INDIVIDUAL WHO COMES INTO THE MISSION.
    THIS EVENT IS FOR ALL AGES. THERE WILL BE KIDS EVENTS, SNACKS PROVIDED BY NEW HOLLAND, GIVEAWAYS (INCLUDING A 1 YEAR MEMBERSHIP AT GIRLFRIENDS FIT CLUB) AND A LIVE REMOTE FROM JQ 99!
    REGISTER NOW @ WWW.ACTIVE.COM FOR ONLY $15! THIS RATE ENDS SOON!!!