Intro thread!

Options
Creiche
Creiche Posts: 264 Member
Thought it might be nice to have a thread where everyone can introduce themselves!

My name is Colleen, I live in the Boston area, and have played tennis since I was about 10. I stopped during graduate school, but took it back up a few years ago and now play about 1-2 times a week including league play. I prefer doubles as I'm a serve and volleyer, but I always enjoy the calorie burn that good singles play can bring. :)

Looking forward to meeting other tennis and health enthusiasts!!

Replies

• rebecca_florida
    rebecca_florida Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Rebecca. I live in Central Florida so I get to play tennis year round! I usually play singles, either with my husband or in an informal competitive league (mostly men). I have a strong first serve and reliable backhand. I love how my weight loss has made me a better (faster) defensive player!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    My name is Summer!! I am from Cleveland, Ohio. I am jealous of Rebecca for her ability to play year round when I have snow on the ground so frequently here!!:laugh: :laugh:

I have been playing tennis since I was probably around 10-ish. In high school I played competitively leading our JV team in the 1st Doubles and 3rd Singles seats. After high school, I could not find anyone to play tennis with so I stopped playing frequently.

This past summer my boyfriend, Nino, decided he really wanted to learn and start playing. Within no time, my swing was back!:smile: I even let him beat me here and there:laugh:

While my racket is pretty much done for the season, Nino got a racket club membership for the winter, as that is his primary form if fitness. I am saving up for a new awesome racket so I can continue kicking butt next year!!

An awesome resource is www.fuzzyyellowballs.com
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I am also jealous of Rebecca's ability to play outdoors year-round!! I play indoor all year, but used to love the challenge of playing outdoors in high school and wish I could do it more often. Sadly, most of the outdoor courts in my area aren't well kept, and the few that are are always mobbed or used for clinics/high school teams.

The league I am in this winter has me playing mostly women that are rated ~0.5 higher than me, so I am hoping to play more and maybe do some clinics in the coming months so I can win some of these tough matches...and burn some calories! :)
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My name is Ali, I'm 29, and I started this journey in April at 353 lbs. I'm 318 now. :happy: My good friend April (also trying to lose weight) and I were out to dinner about a month ago, and she said she'd love to start playing since she's always wanted to. My mom played in a league when I was growing up, so I had a good base, but hadn't played in about 10 years. She started out not-so-good, but has vastly improved in the last month.

We have SO much fun, but also burn SO much calories, it's amazing!!! We play Tues-Sat, every day after work, and miss it when we don't get to go, lol. :laugh:
  • lumberjacks94
    lumberjacks94 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Just started taking lessons in September and I love it! I practice with my team 4-5 times a week, just about every weekday morning and a few evenings. We can play year-round in Arizona obviously. It was beautiful tonight in fact.

I have learned so far I'm a decent server when I'm not trying too hard, my backhand is more consistent than my forehand and I can't keep up with the automatic ball feeder! lol

So who is up for a game???

Er, I mean, tennis, anyone? (still learning)
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Holy cow! I just discovered the MFP Groups this morning. So glad to see one already created for tennis enthusiasts.

I'm Doug from Atlanta, GA and consider myself an avid tennis player (not just someone who plays tennis). Starting playing with my step-father and brother when I was kid. Then when I moved to Atlanta, I got involved with a few tennis leagues. Back then, I play four to five times a week. Then later it became four to five times a year.

However, this year, I wanted to become healthier. Joined MFP and increased my activity level. Primarily through playing tennis. Love the calorie burn it gives me.

Currently I am involved with four leagues ALTA (Atlanta Lawn Tennis Association; mid-B level), USTA (3.5 NTRP), Ultimate Tennis (a.k.a. KSwiss, 3.0-) and League Tennis (3.5).

I'm a strong 3.5 player moving towards the 4.0 level.
    I like playing singles, doubles and mixed doubles. Also enjoying playing competitively or just for fun.
  • kellyb63
    kellyb63 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yay! A tennis group! I've been hitting the fuzzy yellow ball since I was 9. I have played on and off, picked the sport up again about ten years ago. I'm USTA rated 3.0 and an inconsistent 3.5 player. l play competitively on 3.0 and 3.5 USTA ladies doubles teams. I took a break this summer due to illness, a sore foot (tiny stress fracture)and extreme sweltering heat. I'm from Raleigh, NC and can't handle extreme humidity and heat on the courts. This Fall I have been focusing on eating right, running and losing weight. I will probably join a Winter Doubles Ladder end of November. I love playing tennis during cooler temps. Been doing some strength training too so I can smack that ball a little harder. I hit with a lot of topspin and my serves can be some fast and flat. I like to keep players behind the baseline and then sneak in a short slice.

When the Grand Slam tournaments are on, I'm situated in front of the TV. Still attached to Wilson racquets, although I do have a Head Liquidmetal I'm getting used too.

Nice to see everyone!
  • laurah117
    Options
    I'm Laura and I live in Frankfort, KY. I play in several USTA legues out of Lexington and Louisville. I have always loved tennis and started to play in the USTA and take lessons last year.
  • FitFeden
    FitFeden Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was really glad to see this group. I'm an avid tennis player who's game has suffered greatly from weight gain. I played some D2 College tennis in Pennsylvania in a little over 10 years ago. Following that I played for fun, then stepped up my game in 2005-2006 to start playing some Mens Open tournaments in Philadelphia. I was 25 at the time, working out a lot and weighed between 155-160. The was the peak of my game. Since then, I finished law school and got a job as an overworked underpaid attorney, got married, and got a dog. In the midst of all of that I lost my workout habits and stopped playing competitive singles. I'm now weighing in at around 210, and my singles game is in SHAMBLES! My knees bother me after a hard court match and I even find myself tired after competitive doubles. I would love to play some more mens singles tournaments before I turn 35 (I'm now 32), because i feel like I could still compete at a high level if my weight were closer to 165-170.

I could really use some help and support to get there.

Nick
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Emma from New Zealand. Happy new year everyone!

I am a 41 year old who used to adore tennis as a child and teenager. I recently bought tennis racquets for my four children and have been playing (a bit with them and mostly against the tennis wall) most days in the past fortnight.

I love it as it doesnt feel like formal exercise but seems to have a decent calorie burn according to MFP!
  • cms6300
    cms6300 Posts: 163
    Options
    Charlie here. Happy to see a tennis group. I'm a 4.5 whose committed to learning a two hander in 2012.
  • jessicafk11
    jessicafk11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Jessica from CT. I played tennis in high school and would occassionally hit a ball around in the years after that. I'd been looking to start playing again and my town's recreation department offered tennis last summer with someone who was going to open a place in my town to teach pro players! How could I not sign up?! It was a ton of fun. It took longer for his facility to open than he thought and he called me in January to let me know he was up and running and there was a group he thought I'd do well in and it started that next weekend! Great, right? Except the timing was horrible. Diagnosed with cancer right before he called so tennis is on hold (along with SO many other things!). Treatment is complete and I can't wait to have the energy to get back to it. I'm hoping for sometime in April (or May at the latest).

My boyfriend has never really played but last summer he would go to the court with me to hit the ball around for an hour or so to get some exercise. I'm hoping to at least be ready for this in the next week or so, even if I cannot manage an hour, it'll be great to just be on the court!
  • Zombierawr
    Zombierawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am Meghan. I have been playing tennis for about 5 years now, give or take a break due to injuries. I am in Georgia, so I have the wonderful benefit of playing year round. :) I am a 3.0/3.5 USTA player (rated 3.0, but play 3.5 recently for doubles and starting to play for singles), and I play on a low B ALTA team (the Atlanta tennis division.) I play doubles year round--both women's and mixed, and tend to play singles during the summer and fall (and winters where I am not sick) during USTA seasons and multiple singles leagues through out the year. I try to play/practice/go to drills 6 days a week, and from about March to September, I am pretty steady in doing so.

I am so glad I found a tennis group on here!

My biggest goal of 2012 is to work on my forehand volley. It has completely gone to bad form, and to hopefully get officially bumped up to 3.5 by the end of the year.
  • pantherman34
    Options
    Hello!

I've been playing tennis for over 14 years. I was ranked in the state of Texas in juniors, and was the member of a nationally ranked D3 University team.

I love tennis! It has given my friends for life and a career. I coach high school tennis, and I give tennis lessons at various places around the Dallas / Fort Worth area.

If anyone ever has any tennis questions, feel free to give me a shout!

/gameon
  • psanoja
    psanoja Posts: 28 Member
    Options

If anyone ever has any tennis questions, feel free to give me a shout!

/gameon
    Ok, I'll take you to task. I'm a 3.0-3.5 tennis player. I center my game around my forehand and serve. I've beginning to have success, defeating players at my level, and being competitive with players above my level.
    Yet...
    I played a guy last week who I thought it would be an easy rival. I lost 6-0, 6-0 in front of all my friends.
    He's small (5-7ish), heavy (205-210), but he retrieves ALL the balls, including serves that would have been aces playing against other players. He lobs a lot, drop shots a lot, slices his forehand and occasionally hits moonballs that fall right on the baseline. He seldom hits the ball out (unless he goes for a winner), and seldom takes any risks, with rallies lasting for 10 or more shots routinely.
    How do you beat this guy?
    thanks in advance.
  • chelleyr9
    chelleyr9 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!!! I am Mechelle and play USTA out of Columbia, South Carolina. I am a 4.0 rated player and started playing in 2004. My first year, my team won sectiionals and then made it to the finals in sectionals for two years after that so my bumpage happened fairly quickly early on! I thoroughly love tennis, but dont really get the exercise out of of it that I need. When I was a newbie, I was running all over the place, but now its come in to volley, hitting ground strokes or hitting overheads...so I dont play as much b/c I kill calories in the gym...and plus, I would LOVE not to get bumped up any time soon!
  • cms6300
    Options
    psanoja - people have been asking how to beat a pusher forever. The bottom line is - at the 3.5 level 'in' wins(this holds true up until 5.0 and some would argue it works at that level too . N Bolliteri promotes a push vs push - ie see how they like it. If i'm playing a pusher i draw them in and then attack their backhand volley. Short then lob is really effective as well.
    Good Luck!
  • psanoja
    psanoja Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks cms6300. Actually, I played him again and tried that strategy. We started exchanging several moonballs and soft topspin shots--until I got really bored and went for winners. Now I understand why people dislike Wozniacki so much. It's plainly boring. I won some and lost some. It wasn't as bad as the first time but he was by far more consistent than me, and he can handle pace without problem. I thought I could learn a thing or two from him.
  • cms6300
    Options
    try bringing him in - I've met very few pushers who like the net. Remember when he comes in your first shot doesn't have to be a passing shot - aim for his backhand volley and see what he's made of.
  • Geyser_Mountain_Dreamer
    Options
    Hey fellow tennis enthusiasts. I'm so stoked there is a tennis group on this site. My name is Geyser and I am 100% obsessed with playing tennis. The obsession, however, I assure you is quite healthy. Tennis is such a great way to escape from the stresses of life while soaking up some sun. Ever since I started at age 11, standing atop a tennis court while whacking optic yellows has always been my favorite escape and my favorite hobby. I personally feel as though tennis is the consummate template for life. There is so much you can learn from the game that you can apply to your life off the court. I'm a naturally gifted server. I can serve with pace and I rarely double fault. This is season 4 of Project Backhand. I switched to the one handed backhand and I love it. It's such a fun stroke and natural stroke. I wish I never would have wasted my time with the two hander. My dream is to migrate towards Arizona where it is nice and hot every single day so I can get my daily tennis fix. Unfortunately, I've always had a tough time finding players who are at or above my skill level........so........I am in the not so distant future going to be acquiring the Lobster Elite Grand Slam V LE Portable Ball Machine. I've wanted a decent ball machine forever so I can raise my skill to the next level in order to hopefully win some tennis tournaments. Anyone out there have a Lobster?