Are you counting calories?

Options
Hey my low-carb groupies, I know we're counting our carbs and keeping them low, are we also keeping our calories low? I know that a lot of the carb "experts" say you don't have to watch calories so much as long as you eat sensibly. Was curious who's watching both, and is it harder? Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• kjpersich
    kjpersich Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I do both. One reason is because when I eat low carb I'm not as hungry. I have to watch to make sure I eat enough. On the other hand, sometimes low carb food is crazy delicious (like Pam's Baked Eggplant recipe). It is higher in calories because of the cheese so things like that you want to watch your portions.
  • DahnaLane
    DahnaLane Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I also watch both because of the same reasons above, and because I like to see where my body naturally wants to stop eating when I do low carb.

I haven't been in ketosis for a while, and I am trying to get back in... and at that point, I will not care what the calories are... I willl most likely log them, but I won't be too concerned about getting close to the day's calorie suggestion.
  • 123imdoingit
    Options
    Thank you for the quick replys!! I will need to get me some of those keto-stik things that turn purple!! I am watching my calories right now too, just a habit I picked up a couple of months ago, and I think it's a good one!! :)
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I do both as well. I've been struggling as of late with keeping under 100 grams let alone 60 like the Dr. wants on carbs. I'm just so darn hungry all the time!
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    i do both, my doctor has me on 45 carbs per meal, 15 for morning & afternoon snack and 30 for evening snack. she wants me to stay at 1600 calories. i had lost over 80#s with just watching carbs. but, i have been struggling lately so she wants me to watch the calories too for a bit.
    i think it's what you are willing to change lifestyle for. i know i will change to just carbs again at a later date. because i can live with that.
  • ondogirl
    ondogirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am new to Atkins and I am currently following the 1500 calorie diet 20 net grams of carbs (induction). I believe the calorie range for women on atkins (not inlcuding activity level) is 1500-1800 calories per day.
  • MjDavis1981
    MjDavis1981 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I don't really watch them strictly, but I try to stay under 1500. My goals say 1200 but meat is so high in calories it is hard sometimes.
  • humglum
    humglum Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Not especially. I track everything here so I can't help but notice my calories but as long as my carbs are in line I don't sweat it if I'm a little over or under my calorie target.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    The only reason I count calories is to make sure I get enough. I had gastric bypass, so I will so forget to eat if I don't keep track of it religiously.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I don't actually watch them, so to speak, but I generally fall around 1400 per day
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I do both as well. I've been struggling as of late with keeping under 100 grams let alone 60 like the Dr. wants on carbs. I'm just so darn hungry all the time!
    Really try to avoid the carbs and instead focus on getting more fat and protein. You'll feel fuller, longer. For me, the more carbs I eat, the more I want, mostly because I get hungry sooner after eating them.

Up your calorie count a bit, if you need to, while keeping your carbs below 60 grams. You should still be able to lose weight and you won't end up hungry. Another trick is to eat smaller meals spread throughout the day. I usually eat 200-300 calorie "meals", 6 times a day.
  • dittiepe
    Options
    Really try to avoid the carbs and instead focus on getting more fat and protein. You'll feel fuller, longer. For me, the more carbs I eat, the more I want, mostly because I get hungry sooner after eating them.

Up your calorie count a bit, if you need to, while keeping your carbs below 60 grams. You should still be able to lose weight and you won't end up hungry. Another trick is to eat smaller meals spread throughout the day. I usually eat 200-300 calorie "meals", 6 times a day.

^^^ this is what I do also.
  • Want2BRunner
    Want2BRunner Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm starting out on "Induction" again. I keep my carbs around 20 and calories 1,200. Maybe thats why the weight is coming off so slow?
  • dittiepe
    Options
    I'm starting out on "Induction" again. I keep my carbs around 20 and calories 1,200. Maybe thats why the weight is coming off so slow?

It could be. Try increasing your calories to 1400 and see what happens after a couple of weeks :)
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    Hey my low-carb groupies, I know we're counting our carbs and keeping them low, are we also keeping our calories low? I know that a lot of the carb "experts" say you don't have to watch calories so much as long as you eat sensibly. Was curious who's watching both, and is it harder? Thanks! :smile:

Prior to joining MFP, I lost 100 lbs in about 10 months just counting net carbs alone. The idea is that with lower carbs, you up your protein and fat content of food, which provides higher levels of satiation so you eat less total calories on average. Obviously, on MFP, I count calories now too, which provides more feedback on how I'm doing.
  • Karen_145
    Options
    When I was on Atkins I never counted calories. Typically you end up eating a reasonable amount of them anyway just because you feel satisfied faster.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I do otherwise I net too little. 1550 net has been a good number. I gross up to 1900 when I exercise. I've been trying to net less than 35g carbs daily.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Oops, double post!
  • yummummum
    Options
    I am obsessed with calorie counting. I don't know if it is good or not but I have really tried to keep my calories to 1200 or if I work out just eat back what I need.

I am thinking eventually there will be no need but I am just obsessed with getting to my goal ASAP.
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I count calories as well as carbs but don't worry if I go over the calories (I usually don't). I changed my daily goal from 1200 to 1400 so I would keep seeing the phrase "under her calorie goal" when I finish each day... it just makes me feel good to see it. I don't see how I could eat much more than 1500 or 1600 calories a day eating low carb anyway. I am rarely able to eat back exercise calories I earn.