My least favorite comment

Options
cbbarge
cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
"But you're tall, you can carry it."

What are some of your least favorite comments?

Replies

• beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    urgh yes, had that one so much until it got to the point I believed it even when I was the size of a house.

When younger = "what did your mum do, put you in a bag of compost"

Absolutely worst comment ever heard relating to my height, from a gynecologist before having a smear "I bet you have a really long cervix cause you are so tall" and then "yes, I was right" ICK.NAST. :sick:
  • Jenn152
    Jenn152 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Absolutely worst comment ever heard relating to my height, from a gynecologist before having a smear "I bet you have a really long cervix cause you are so tall" and then "yes, I was right" ICK.NAST. :sick:

HAHAHAHH i just had this convo with my GYNO last year.... being tall, our vaginal canals are longer than our short counterparts. she has to use the extra long speculum(?) every time... haha
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    "Wow, youre tall!"

Its all I can do to not gasp in shock and go REEEEEALLY?!

Others are...you must be 6' tall!!! and You must play basketball right?!!!!
    I do dream of responding, no...but if youre into sports, you must be a jockey right?!!!!

The worst was at a movie party my ex took me to and we saw Avatar.. During the scene where the Avatar lady is cradling the soldier when he was all passed out, one of his friends blurted out to my ex, Omg, that looks like you and Dragn Har Har Har! I was so not amused...
  • cbbarge
    Options
    Any yet another good one.....I was at my high school reunion this summer. "Oh yeah, I remember you. You were the tall girl." Yeah and apparently I still am. Dumbass!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options

HAHAHAHH i just had this convo with my GYNO last year.... being tall, our vaginal canals are longer than our short counterparts. she has to use the extra long speculum(?) every time... haha

Back in the day when I still had a cervix and uterus (I had a total hysterectomy when I was 23), mine commented that "you're awfully petite in there for someone your height." Ummmm... EWWWWW! I really don't need your commentary on how my height relates to my girly parts, thank you very much.

I've had the usual "you carry it well because you're so tall" things when I was heavier and the contrast between my height (5'10" but I usually wear heels to make me over 6') and my hubby's (5'5.5") usually gets *lovely* comments, usually relating to my hubby's view.
  • KelliHatfield1
    Options
    "Wow, youre tall!"

Others are...you must be 6' tall!!! and You must play basketball right?!!!!
    I do dream of responding, no...but if youre into sports, you must be a jockey right?!!!!

The worst was at a movie party my ex took me to and we saw Avatar.. During the scene where the Avatar lady is cradling the soldier when he was all passed out, one of his friends blurted out to my ex, Omg, that looks like you and Dragn Har Har Har! I was so not amused...

YES! Why do they always assume that we play basketball?
  • KelliHatfield1
    Options
    An old boss of mine asked me to reach for something on a top shelf, and when I did so, she was like "I thought I was gonna have to get a chair, but I forgot Kelli was here!" Which wouldn't have been so bad, but it was in front of several people (including a short man) and it made me feel like a mutant.

And of course, in grade school the kids were like "You're a giant!"

And when I was a kid, I was pressured into playing basketball (even though I had no interest in it) and the parents on the other team always assumed that I was an older kid that they just threw on the team to play against the little ones.

On another note, I love my height now & wouldn't trade it.
  • KelliHatfield1
    Options
    Any yet another good one.....I was at my high school reunion this summer. "Oh yeah, I remember you. You were the tall girl." Yeah and apparently I still am. Dumbass!

I hate hearing stuff like that, makes you want to come back with something like "Oh yeah, you were the short one with the big butt and dirty teeth!"
  • Jenn152
    Options
    "Wow, youre tall!"

:laugh: i always just look at them and say... no i'm not, youre just incredibly short.
  • cbbarge
    Options
    In response to previous post. Thanks for pointing that out. No one has ever brought that to my attention before!
  • trishajo82
    trishajo82 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I always respond to the "WOW you're TALL!" With, "WOW, you are SHORT!!!"... they usually don't know how to handle that.

Or when I was younger I'd say, "HEY Captain Obvious, way to be observant!" LOL
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    UGH!! I've gotten all of them too - kids always made "amazon" and "jolly green giant" jokes and the basketball coaches at school would not leave me alone!!! My OBGYN was one who told me I carried my weight well, and my mother has always told me that too. It made me start to kind of become complacent too, as unhealthy as it is.

I always hate when people make comments about me wearing high heels. I used to NEVER wear high heels because, really...but then I decided, I LOVE high heels. Why miss out? After I married my 5'7'' husband (yeah, I got a lot of comments on that too), who loves it when I wear high heels, I realized that being tall is beautiful. But of course you can't just be confident without haters, so when I go to buy high heels I always hear "but you're going to be that much taller!". And when I wear them, I hear "why would you want to be any taller?" or "like you need high heels!".

Seriously....I think some people just aren't intelligent enough to come up with any other conversation starters, they just pick out the obvious. :)
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options

Really? Cause mine is short. I can't even wear tampons... I told mine that it was really small and my Gyno was like "You weren't kidding, you are small!" She smiled and said "That should help with childbirth later on!"

My least favorite comment is "But you're taller so it's okay that you're heavy." Uhm, not true, I mean yeah I'll never weight 115lbs but honestly do you think I WANT to weight 270lbs? And when I tell people my weight they come back with "WHAT? No way! You don't look that big!!" Well, I just told you I am that big... So yeah...
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    UGH!! I've gotten all of them too - kids always made "amazon" and "jolly green giant" jokes and the basketball coaches at school would not leave me alone!!!

Definitely been called the "jolly green giant"... but I guess it doesn't help that I wear green...mmm... pretty much daily :)
  • cbbarge
    Options
    I once wore a purple suit to work and one of my extremely short male co-workers started singing the Barney Song. That suit went into the Goodwill pile as soon as I got home. (In retrospect it was a pretty ugly suit but that's not the point!)
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Wow, people are mean. I don't usually get any comments about my height aside from the the traditional "But you carry your weight well" one, which I always took to be a compliment. If I was this weight at 5"7 I'd be in much, much worse shape.
  • jenniferhe
    jenniferhe Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Recently at my job one of the doctors who had not met me yet but saw me walking down the hall way stated "Who let the jolly green giant loose". He didn't say it to my face but I've heard about it plenty since being there.

Another time I was in Wal-Mart & I had a mom bring her daughter up behind me and say "that is what an elf would look like because she's so tall" ( I also have long blond hair :S). To say the least she scurried away when I turned around and gave her a look that said "yes I can hear too & heard every word you just said".

My dad's favorite comment to people on behafl of my self and the rest of my tall siblings "yes we play basketball, do you play golf?"
    (I'm 6'2" and short. I have 2 sisters 6'3 & 6'4. Younger brother is 6'7")

I could go on. While these comments are hard, frustraighting and we will probalby get them the rest of our lives there are many times where our height is a good thing. I've had several moms with daughters who are tall have me come talk with them to encourage them to stand tall and love their height. I remember very clearly being 11yrs old and 6'1" staring middle school and how tough that was. So I'm glad when I get that opportunity to come along side other young girls who are going through something similar.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Yes, always the same "You carry it well" "You have a large frame"

I've also been called a tranny (Transvestite!!) when I wore heels (I guess they did make me 6'5"... but thats still f*cking awful thing to say to someone whois blatantly female...)

"Thats a HUUUUUUGE *****"...... Thank you to the 'Deuce Bigalo, Male Gigalo' film. this has been shouted at me several times.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I love the "Oh but your tall.. You don't look that overweight... Your so skinny stop complaining about how fat you are".
    Uh no I'm not that skinny... I am fat, and need to lose weight if you don't mind..

My trainer was also telling my mom the other day, but she's so tall and thin.. she could be really good at sports if she tried! My mom just looked at him and went, my daughter? Play sports.. You must be kidding.
  • Jenn152
    Options
    Yes, always the same "You carry it well" "You have a large frame"

I've also been called a tranny (Transvestite!!) when I wore heels (I guess they did make me 6'5"... but thats still f*cking awful thing to say to someone whois blatantly female...)

"Thats a HUUUUUUGE *****"...... Thank you to the 'Deuce Bigalo, Male Gigalo' film. this has been shouted at me several times.

yes! to ALL of this.... especially the last one.... god i am glad that movie is so old now people dont tend to use it as much. but good lord... lol