Breakfast Ideas

Options
NiciS72
NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
Hi folks,

I'm struggling with breakfast. I get tired of eggs and turkey sausage all the time. I'm also trying to stay under 2000 mg of sodium a day. What do you all eat for breakfast other than eggs, greek yogurt, or cottage cheese?

Edited to add that along with low carb I have to be Gluten Free so a lot of the pre-made items available are out for me!

Replies

• dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Muffin in a minute. Delicious! You can find the recipe on Atkins. Com or over on my site at http://blog.pittsburgh-diet-guru.com
  • DahnaLane
    DahnaLane Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Breakfasts have always been hard for me too... I rely on Atkins bars just for breakfast, mainly because I eat them on my drive into the office.
    My all time fave is the Caramel Chocolate Nut Roll. :bigsmile:
    When I travel, I always pack a box for breakfast.

I am really curious on what everyone else does too...
  • 123imdoingit
    Options
    I have a protein shake, I just throw some water, small amount of Dole's frozen fruit mix, 1 scoop Jay Robb's vanilla egg white protein powder into my magic bullet and blend a way! Yummy, filling, and great as a pre-workout drink!! Or an atkins protein shake already made. :)
  • star9401
    star9401 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This morning I had a Morning Star Veggie burger with a bit of red onion (I chop up an onion and freeze it just a 'chip' a bit out when I need it).

When I was doing low carb before, I used to make a kind of 'oatmeal' with flax, protein powder, a bit of cream cheese and water. I would warm the cream cheese and water in the microwave and scoop the dry mix in to get the consistency I wanted. Maybe add some splenda or splenda brown sugar.
  • ondogirl
    ondogirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I used to make a kind of 'oatmeal' with flax, protein powder, a bit of cream cheese and water. I would warm the cream cheese and water in the microwave and scoop the dry mix in to get the consistency I wanted. Maybe add some splenda or splenda brown sugar.

Hi,
    Now that sounds tasty!! Sounds like it could be safe for induction too, right?
  • MjDavis1981
    MjDavis1981 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I rely on the Atkins products for breakfast. They are quick and easy. I do the shakes or the oatmeal squares. I haven't had an MIM before. Are they hard to make?
  • NiciS72
    Options
    Alas, I cannot do most if any of the Atkins stuff as they all have gluten in them. I have to do more CLEAN or unprocessed foods. The only idea so far that I know I might be able to do is the flax seed. Will have to check that out and see on that one.
  • humglum
    humglum Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the MIM either although it sounds good. I don't always eat breakfast. If I'm not eating food I will have coffee with a splash of heavy cream. If I am it is usually eggs and meat, sometimes I will make a breakfast bowl of eggs, bacon, sausage, cheese, etc or I will have leftovers from the night before.
  • kjpersich
    kjpersich Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The Pumpkin Mim on Pam's website is fabulous! Talk about pretty much reach your fiber count for the day! I like it because it has the consistency of bread. I substitute 2 tablespoonsful of greek yogurt instead of the cream cheese. I also like to eat 1/2 cup greek yogurt mixed with 1 scoop of vamilla protein powder and 1/2 cup berry fruit (blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries.) I make protein shakes with 1/2 cup greek yogurt, 1/2 cup water, 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder, and 1 cup of berry fruit. I am in the OWL phase of Atkin's so I do a small portion of fruit pretty much every day.
  • humglum
    humglum Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I might have to try the pumpkin muffin. I'm a sucker for anything pumpkin, esp this time of year. Is it induction friendly?
  • DahnaLane
    DahnaLane Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Let's start a new thread on MIM's... :happy:
  • dittiepe
    Options
    Some more ideas:
    Have dinner! Being low carb(and specifically atkins), you can eat a steak for breakfast if you want :)
    Breakfast quiches(recipe is also on my website:(http://blog.pittsburgh-diet-guru.com. I promise I'm not plugging it on purpose! Just easier to point you there for the recipies. lol)
    Shakes, and/or bars. One thing I love to do is take half a vanilla or mocha atkins shake and pour it into some coffee. Make my own latte!
  • dittiepe
    Options
    I might have to try the pumpkin muffin. I'm a sucker for anything pumpkin, esp this time of year. Is it induction friendly?

I say yes, if you don't have it frequently. Pumpkin is allowed on induction if I remember correctly.
  • seattlern
    Options
    This is going to sound crazy, but you'll have to take my word for it that it tastes fantastic! Add a sprinkling of crystal light or other fruity drink powder and a packet of splenda to 6oz of plain greek yogurt. With 18g of protien and only 6g carbs, it will keep you satisfied till lunch. This also works well for sweet cravings and makes a fantastic dessert when frozen!
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I was really burn out on eggs for a while.. right now my breakfast of choice is hamburgers w/ a little mustard.. sounds weird but it works:laugh:
  • 4gr8kids
    Options
    Have you tried Almond Butter? At first it seemed strange eating the spread without bread, but it is filling on its own.
    For variety, I sometimes mix in a little honey, jelly or cream cheese.
  • 4gr8kids
    Options
    I posted the Almond Butter idea for breakfast (eaten around 7am) but find myself hungry by 10.
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I have had pancakes in the past, using the Atkins bake mix and Davinci syrup. It was a nice change from the usual eggs.
  • abfit4life
    abfit4life Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I enjoy mixing 1 or 2 tablespoons of salsa with cottage cheese. I'll eat it on its own or I may wrap it in lettuce leaves or eat it on slices of cucumber. This actually works anytime of day.

7838983.png
  • NiciS72
    Options
    I enjoy mixing 1 or 2 tablespoons of salsa with cottage cheese. I'll eat it on its own or I may wrap it in lettuce leaves or eat it on slices of cucumber. This actually works anytime of day.

7838983.png

Just saw this and it sounds yummy. Gonna have to try it since I do like cottage cheese. Now if only I could find one that is low sodium!