Gym Reviews?

Options
claire_xox
claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
So usually (if) I go to a gym I go to five star fitness, but on one of those group deal sites there's a 2 week membership to fernwood ...does anyone go there? Is it worth trying it out?

I've never been a big gym person - prefer sport or outdoor classes but thought it might be motivation to work out - anyway after some Australian Gym reviews! particularly fernwood :)

Replies

• stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Any gym is good as weight training is healthy and helps to tone you up. I can't comment on fernwood though, but gym is a good idea
  • Katie187
    Options
    hi, I go to fernwood, in melville. and i really like it. I wasn't sure that i would like an all girl gym but it good not having to fight the boys for machines.

the showers are really nice and clean and mine does free breakfast.

Most of the machines have TV's on them to.

I also go to kickboxing and i love that to but go to fermfood for the weights and cross traininer, to mix things up.
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm looking into this too. I have a couple of fitness friends (one's a PT and my school's PE teacher, the other is a very well built computer programmer! hah!) and they've both recommended to me the largely unmanned 24 hour gyms.. I'm looking at signing up to Snap in the next week or so.
  • claire_xox
    Options
    thanks guys :) yeah the fernwood one boasts free breakfast and hair straighteners... that's pretty tempting! lol maybe I should give it a go for two weeks
  • kkarrolle
    kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    As fernwood gyms are franchise gyms, the services and the quality of the services can vary substantially. If possible see if you can get a free one or two weeks trial before signing up.

I go to the local fernwood, its not too flash but it suits me. It is 24/7, lately I have been going about 7.30pm and pretty much have the place to myself, love it
  • CassandraD82
    CassandraD82 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My first gym was a Fernwood (Brisbane City - when they were on the corner of George and Elisabeth - they've since moved). I found that the atmosphere was very welcoming. Not sure if they still do this but they used to give you fruit if you did a morning workout and there was always a fridge full of cold, wet towels. I miss those so much!

They split their main workout area into about 1/3 weight machines and 2/3s cardio machines. That size area again was a single room for group workouts.

They tended to have trained staff on the floor ready to help you with understanding a machine or piece of equipment. This seems to be a rarity at other gyms (where you have reception staff that know nothing and personal trainers that must be paid to provide help).

Everyone was very considerate regarding machine useage. And it was definitely the easiest club I've ever been to do a full body weights workout using machines - with little downtime waiting for other members to finish.

Their group timetable wasn't excellent - it was geared to office workers and ran classes at 7.30am, 12.15pm, and 5.30pm and that was pretty much it. If you didn't work closeby doing 9 to 5 then the times usually didn't suit.

I also didn't like their billing system too much and ran into some problems when my first year contract expired and I had to renew and also wasn't treated well when I wanted to end my membership.

I left in the end because I took a job on the other side of the city and there was no way I could make the group fitness classes. Otherwise, was a wonderful first step into a gym. I've moved on to two different gyms since and Fernwood was definitely on par to Fitness First and LivingWell (since closed down).
  • forthefab5
    forthefab5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of several in the Sydney area - Fernwood, Fitness First, Definition, One55 and now Virgin Active. I tend to prefer the larger gyms because I like class variety. Just make sure there is enough there to keep you interested in going back again and again. I love love love Virgin Active because of all the new type of classes they offer, as well as a swimming pool, rock climbing wall, hair straighteners in the bathrooms, etc... but definitely go for trials at different gyms, you can try this site http://www.goodgymguide.com.au/s/s1.htm (but be prepared to field follow up calls about joining up)
  • CassandraD82
    Options
    Oh yeah and maybe I shouldn't mention it but there were some really, really lovely (and gorgeous) male group fitness instructors at Fernwood.
  • CassandraD82
    Options
    If it's your first gym membership I would try and find a gym with helpful staff members. A membership that includes a free, tailored weights program to get you started, or a couple free personal trainer sessions are excellent. They will introduce you to the equipment and make you feel much more confident.

Also visit during peak times - esp if you'll be attending in the evenings around 5pm. See how busy it easy when you'll be attending.

And check that the group fitness timetable has things on that you want to do at a time that suits you. Variety is good!
  • claire_xox
    Options
    LookS like I'll do it then :) and not sure if most of you actually read my post but it's a two week thing not a membership - i'x never join a gym it would be a loss of money for me . $3.30 each session every few months at five star is rare enough lol
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    I also go to the Virgin Active gym.... there aren't many of them yet so may not be convenient..... I am lucky enough to have one locally to me.... and it is fabulous.... a one off joining fee of approx $100 (I joined when they first opened so I didn't have to pay that) and then about $25 a week (which you can stop or suspend anytime, no contract).... but for that you can go to such a huge range of classes ....different styles of yoga, pilates, all the usual step, cardio, boxing, etc.... plus a lovely sauna, spa plunge pool, swimming pool.... hair straighteners, cafe..... heaps of equipment.... and amazingly lovely staff..... and I am not your usual gym suspect (overweight, 51 year old mum)..... but I really love it...in fact there are a lot of people you might not expect to see....many much older, very overweight, not all the latest lycra set....... included in weekly price is free PT session every 5 weeks..... I would definitely recommend it to anyone who can get to one. My son was in London recently and went to one there and was very disappointed.... apparently they have really spent a lot of money on the aus versions and they are much nicer than the UK ones.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I am a Fernwood member. I have been a member of Parramatta and Blacktown. At Blacktwon the classes are great but the weight area is pretty basic, and a whole lot of the weights are not available for members to use outside of PT sessions - the smith machine, the olympic bar, the assisted pull up machine, and the adjustable cable machine come to mind.

At Parramatta, the classes were not quite as inspiring (too much bloody step for my liking) but the weights area was better and there were more weights available to the members - as well as a bosu ball. Bosu ball squats and pushups are awsome.

I like at fernwood that it is a comfortable and friendly atmosphere where you don't get leared at or made to feel uncomfortable if you want to do a solid weights session.
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    Options
    Ive been going to gyms from well over a decade, been to Zest, Goodlife, Fitness First etc etc. Served their purpose and helped me when I was focusing on weight training. Got used to all the modern touches - clean showers, steam rooms,airconditining pretty receptionists to greet you, all the electronic running machines and Personal Trainers who say all the right things.

I then stumbled across a CBD based family owned boxing gym that is three floors above a pub and karaoke bar. The weights are a little older but functional. There is no mens showers. The trainers expect you to warm up and cool down in your own time (their time is for working hard), you reach for your own water bottle no matter how exhausted you are. Feeling faint or sick is nothing more than an indication that your working hard. AirConditioning Units are for show only and the fans are only turned on once your half way through a class and have earned it.

In my opinion, I get more value for money out of my current gym than I have ever got from any of the big brand gyms I was a member of previously.............. value being = weight loss, strength & conditioning, boxing technique and overall health & well being.
  • spyder_rose
    spyder_rose Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I've also found better value out of family-owned gyms (or "boutique" gyms) than Zest, etc. They tend to care more about their clients and not just putting a little number on your head and forgetting about you, your goals or your name. My mum did go to Fernwood in Brisbane for a while and she enjoyed it. She didn't like Curves and has recently signed up with Snap. (but she never sticks to gyms... whereas I have be going religiously since I was 15)...

I'm lucky enough to have gym access through work (if it wasn't destroyed in our flooding situation on Friday! Will find out tomorrow, I guess!) but there are no classes, no PTs (unless I want to go to VBS and get a PTI to write up a plan for me, but I'm a bit scared of how buff the boys are there...) but I generally have the gym to myself. So I can do as much cardio/weights as I like ... I just need some motivation. Might consider downloading some motivational PTs yelling at me for my ipod ??? Does that exist?

I do prefer outdoors but as well Claire but I find the weather in Sydney isn't as nice as Brisbane so tend to end up indoors instead. I also bought some exercise DVDs for at home too... kickboxing, Jillian Michaels, pilates and an aerobics one too. Just to mix it up when it's raining...

:)
  • stimpackus
    stimpackus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've been a member with four different gyms so far. Fernwood was my first and longest in the Western Sydney area. The first two were both Fernwood franchises. I only moved to another one so I could be closer to work. But both had fantastic services, and I lost the weight I needed to lose which was brilliant. I tried most of their classes, and also did my own routines. Free breakfast and TV. And just before I cancelled my membership with their Seven Hills/Blacktown club their child minding was free as well. You just needed to book in advance. Membership was cancelled because I "thought" I was moving at the time and there was no Fernwood available at where I wanted to move to. Plus I have to admit, I was no longer getting enough physical challenges from their weights as they had a max limit of what they had (no more than say 10kg dumbbells). I still miss my P/T to this day though.

After that I tried Plus Fitness and didn't mind it. At times though it got so busy I couldn't get on the equipment. I'm now a member of a Gym which is owned by a local called "McGlashans" which do all "no contract" fortnightly payments; and you can cancel with no cancellation fee even as short as 24 hours in advance before the payment is taken out. I chose to stick to this one for that reason in case of emergencies.

I think that was my downfall with Fernwood. I loved them, but at the time I was a member they didn't offer any "no contract" and I had to pay out the remaining fees while personal family matters came up. Because of that I would never sign any more contracts, because I just wouldn't know if I could fulfill it with so much going on personally.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Aussies on Vodafone or 3 can visit Fitness First on Tues and Thurs in November. My first ever visit last week. Pondering return tonight for weights or yoga (if I can make up my mind). They also have a 1 day try it first pass.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I was a member of Contours for a couple of years, it was good for me (obese and self-conscious and unfit), I did a couple of their challenges, but when I won the last one and there was no prize, it gave me the push I needed to find something else.

I now go to Fitness First. I do the Basic Training, Boxing, Zumba, Body Balance and Body Jam classes and also have a PT there. I really love it and this is why:
    * it is mixed, so I have joined with my son and daughter and they come with me (sometimes)
    * I love the sauna
    * I love the mixed vibe, I'm not intimidated by the men, just have to make sure I don't stare
    * it gets busy but there are lots and lots of equipment
    * the tvs mean that I am so over-stimulated I don't get bored with the cross-trainer
    * open quite long hours, so I have more choice than at Contours
    * it is friendly

GG
  • orangejellybean
    orangejellybean Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I go to a Fernwood and l love it! Moving to a big city and not knowing anyone and not feeling too confident about my body, i thought it was a good option for me. I had only ever been a member of a mixed gym before, so i didn't know if the atmosphere would suit me, but i feel really comfortable and i love going! So it's working out well :D

And yes they have free breakfast, hair straighteners, heaps of lockers and showers and mine even has a beauty salon/ hairdresser. So it's all there!
    I always feel very welcome and valued when i go there!
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    May or may not help anyone currently on the thread, but in case someone else looks at it.
    I belong to Melville Aquatic and Recreation Centres in Perth, WA. I haven't gone to the gym at the rec centre as I live closer to the Aquatic Centre, but I go to the small gym there and use the pool. I think it is great value having a 50m pool, 25m pool, small gym at one location and a larger gym with sporting facilities at another. I should definitely start using it more.
    Staff are friendly and it hasn't been too busy while I've been there lately.
  • Rewinds
    Options
    Whilst I cannot go there anymore because I moved states, if Virgin Active is close to you I'd recommend going there 110%.

There are so many classes, easy signup, rock climbing, pool facilities, relaxation facilities, a great range of exercise equipment and the change rooms are great especially if you need to go to work right afterwards. I've never been able to match my gym experience to the one I had at virgin! :3