Where are you in the program? What else do you do?

Options

Replies

• up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    YEAH!!! A NROL4W group!!! I'm in stage 5. I know that through out the program I've stayed about the same weight, but I've dropped from a size 6 to a size 2/4, so something must be working. It's crazy, 'cause I always thought a 6 was tiny! I am not good about taking measurements. :(

I love this program!

I also bodyrock 2-3 times per week on my non NROL days.
    I do a spin class 1x per week.
    Sometimes I pull out an old Jillian DVD or pull up the Nike Training Club Ap on my iPod if I want to just change things up a bit.

I've gotten my hubby into lifting too, though I wish he'd leave the darn machines alone and start lifting free weights. Baby steps. He and I also run several locak 5K's and train for those.

That's quite an achievement! So when you say you bodyrock 2-3 times a week, what workouts are you doing? Do you choose random workouts from the website? I have been at the site before but I am having a hard time finding workouts I can do on my days off. I am looking for some HIIT stuff. I don't want anything high impact though because those off days are supposed to be for muscle recovery.

I don't really know if I've "achieved" anything, lol. Our gym doesn't have a barbell set up; so I have to modify everything to use dumbbells instead, so I know I'm not getting the true lifting experience...but sometimes we do what we have to!

I usually do the newest workouts from bodyrock.tv. Today I did the Good Feeling workout and went back to an old one, the Death to Fat workout. They were both 12 minutes long each. I look at bodyrock more like HIIT and bodyweight training rather than lifting. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

What do you do on your days of recovery?
  • jrcox520
    jrcox520 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm doing stage 2 A2 tomorrow. I LOVE this program. I've gotten so strong already and lost about 2% body fat even though I gained weight. The scale has since moved back down to pre-lifting numbers though. :) On offdays I really just do what feels good. Like today I went to yoga and Zumba just because I love 'em. Other days I'll run or cycle outdoors. Cardio isn't a requirement in my routines anymore, and the ones I do have a specific purpose. I want to participate in a triathlon next year, so I run and cycle for that. I've also gotten my hubby to start lifting; he picked up the men's version and finished his first stage today. Lifting makes me feel fantastic and its funny to see confused looks from men when they realize that I am, in fact, waiting for the squat rack. LOL!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    YEAH!!! A NROL4W group!!! I'm in stage 5. I know that through out the program I've stayed about the same weight, but I've dropped from a size 6 to a size 2/4, so something must be working. It's crazy, 'cause I always thought a 6 was tiny! I am not good about taking measurements. :(

I love this program!

I also bodyrock 2-3 times per week on my non NROL days.
    I do a spin class 1x per week.
    Sometimes I pull out an old Jillian DVD or pull up the Nike Training Club Ap on my iPod if I want to just change things up a bit.

I've gotten my hubby into lifting too, though I wish he'd leave the darn machines alone and start lifting free weights. Baby steps. He and I also run several locak 5K's and train for those.

That's quite an achievement! So when you say you bodyrock 2-3 times a week, what workouts are you doing? Do you choose random workouts from the website? I have been at the site before but I am having a hard time finding workouts I can do on my days off. I am looking for some HIIT stuff. I don't want anything high impact though because those off days are supposed to be for muscle recovery.

I don't really know if I've "achieved" anything, lol. Our gym doesn't have a barbell set up; so I have to modify everything to use dumbbells instead, so I know I'm not getting the true lifting experience...but sometimes we do what we have to!

I usually do the newest workouts from bodyrock.tv. Today I did the Good Feeling workout and went back to an old one, the Death to Fat workout. They were both 12 minutes long each. I look at bodyrock more like HIIT and bodyweight training rather than lifting. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

What do you do on your days of recovery?

Are you kidding? Going from a size 6 to a 2/4 is an achievement! I haven't been doing any cardio on my off days. I find I am too sore, especially now that I'm in stage 3. My legs are killing me and I can't imagine getting on the elliptical right now. But I am interested in doing HIIT. Are all bodyrock workouts hiit? I'd like to do something without weights but that's fast and burns a lot of cals. Honestly I am thinking of trying this just using a jumprope. I am thinking of trying to go all out for 30 seconds(which I might not even be able to do) and then rest for 60 seconds. Do this until I die. lol.
  • up2me2lose20
    Options
    I sometimes use the JR too...I like to make up a circuit of 20 seconds on 10 seconds rest. And then mix it up... jump 2 feet, L foot, R, foot, low jacks, high knees, etc. I try to do that for 10 minutes. So it's 20 rounds of 10:20.

I just did stage 5 workout A today. I finally got up the nerve to ask the gym regulars, "Do you know how to use a low pulley system in here?" And they all looked at me like, "HUH??" Ok, I didn't feel so dumb, then, because they didn't know either. So I just used my old resistance band and looped it around a machine (what else are they good for, lol?) Then they asked me where I get all my exercises and I proudly showed them my NROL4W book!!

I have to say, so far, I think my favorite exercise is the 1-armed dumbbell snatch. I snatched 30lbs today, which for me, is a.lot.!!! Not sure if I'll crank it up to 35 next time or not! YIKES!!
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I just finished Stage 1 Workout B today. I really like it so far! I was nervous about the deadlifts today, I had no idea where to do them in the weight room. I'm glad I had the place to my self. I used the bar without any weight to try and get the correct form down. I have no idea how to put the weights onto the bar so I'll have to figure that out before next week.

I just put the bar on the floor, get my weights and put them on, one side at a time. I don't fuss with the clips that hold the weights in place, I'm not lifting that heavy and they stay on - no problem. Congrats on getting started!

I just finished Stage 1 workout B last night. I didn't put any weight on the bar either. I have to tell you though...I was very surprised, but I had to change to a lowers weights on dumbell press and lunges. Guess I thought I was stronger (doing all those Jililan Michaels videos..lol)! My lunges were sad even. May have been because I did my C25K cardio right before the workout. I was exhausted, but in a good way. Also, today I gained a pound and 1/2 back..but I am not going to worry about that based on all the other positive reviews.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I just finished Stage 1 Workout B today. I really like it so far! I was nervous about the deadlifts today, I had no idea where to do them in the weight room. I'm glad I had the place to my self. I used the bar without any weight to try and get the correct form down. I have no idea how to put the weights onto the bar so I'll have to figure that out before next week.

I just put the bar on the floor, get my weights and put them on, one side at a time. I don't fuss with the clips that hold the weights in place, I'm not lifting that heavy and they stay on - no problem. Congrats on getting started!

I just finished Stage 1 workout B last night. I didn't put any weight on the bar either. I have to tell you though...I was very surprised, but I had to change to a lowers weights on dumbell press and lunges. Guess I thought I was stronger (doing all those Jililan Michaels videos..lol)! My lunges were sad even. May have been because I did my C25K cardio right before the workout. I was exhausted, but in a good way. Also, today I gained a pound and 1/2 back..but I am not going to worry about that based on all the other positive reviews.

Expect weight gain the day after a tough workout, your muscles are repairing so fluid rushes to the area to assist.
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Haven't started yet. Just bought the book. Will be starting in December with Lizzy_Sunflower. So excited to do this!
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Expect weight gain the day after a tough workout, your muscles are repairing so fluid rushes to the area to assist.

Yup^^^

I swear, I can feel the extra water, my upper arms and shoulders are TIGHT today.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I'm doing stage 2 A2 tomorrow. I LOVE this program. I've gotten so strong already and lost about 2% body fat even though I gained weight. The scale has since moved back down to pre-lifting numbers though. :) On offdays I really just do what feels good. Like today I went to yoga and Zumba just because I love 'em. Other days I'll run or cycle outdoors. Cardio isn't a requirement in my routines anymore, and the ones I do have a specific purpose. I want to participate in a triathlon next year, so I run and cycle for that. I've also gotten my hubby to start lifting; he picked up the men's version and finished his first stage today. Lifting makes me feel fantastic and its funny to see confused looks from men when they realize that I am, in fact, waiting for the squat rack. LOL!

I'm at the same workout tomorrow. But today I have hard time putting socks on or walking from 2B1 from yesterday-ouch! :)
  • Fitwam
    Options

Yup^^^

I swear, I can feel the extra water, my upper arms and shoulders are TIGHT today.

thanks for this info...because I really want the scale to go the other way! I've been doing mostly cardio with videos and the C25K program, but I really wanted to incorporate weight training! Honestly rather lift than cardio, but still have in the brain "must do cardio to get rid of excess fat".
    So, do I totally take a day in between these weight training workouts or do I try to do JM 6week 6 pack video in today? I know for sure I am not going to go the C25K on Fridays session of workout A..that was just too much last night. Will do the C25K training Saturday when I am off for those two days of lifting!
    It's my first week in Stage 1...so I am just anxious to know what's work for everyone who is further along....
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options

Yup^^^

thanks for this info...because I really want the scale to go the other way! I've been doing mostly cardio with videos and the C25K program, but I really wanted to incorporate weight training! Honestly rather lift than cardio, but still have in the brain "must do cardio to get rid of excess fat".
    So, do I totally take a day in between these weight training workouts or do I try to do JM 6week 6 pack video in today? I know for sure I am not going to go the C25K on Fridays session of workout A..that was just too much last night. Will do the C25K training Saturday when I am off for those two days of lifting!
    It's my first week in Stage 1...so I am just anxious to know what's work for everyone who is further along....

Honestly, I think that doing too much cardio can hinder your progress with lifting. I used to combine the two, then I started this program and once I got past Stage 1 didn't have time for that, so I did cardio on non-lifting days (Tues & Thurs) and took the weekends off. I've had life stuff to do on Tuesdays so now I take Tuesdays off completely, which I feel fine about since we're backpacking on the weekends so I get some good, long, steady cardio there both days. It's IMPORTANT to get enough rest!

Cardio has become a chore, lifting is what gets me excited to go to the gym!

As far as the scale - seriously, you, me and everyone doing this program needs to throw that sucker out the window. Unless you're eating at a deficit, or rather, EVEN IF you're eating at a deficit, you're just not going to see the scale numbers drop with the water retention from working your muscles. However, you will see your clothes become looser (my pants are swimming on me today!) and isn't that a better indication of fat loss? Cause it's fat we want to lose, not "weight." I know it's hard to remember, I know it sucks seeing the numbers standstill or even increase, but if you're eating right, you know it's not fat you're gaining and the water weight is just temporary.

So, this is all my opinion and anyone else is free to chime in and correct me, etc. :drinker:
  • Fitwam
    Options
    [[[/quote]

Honestly, I think that doing too much cardio can hinder your progress with lifting. I used to combine the two, then I started this program and once I got past Stage 1 didn't have time for that, so I did cardio on non-lifting days (Tues & Thurs) and took the weekends off. I've had life stuff to do on Tuesdays so now I take Tuesdays off completely, which I feel fine about since we're backpacking on the weekends so I get some good, long, steady cardio there both days. It's IMPORTANT to get enough rest!

Cardio has become a chore, lifting is what gets me excited to go to the gym!

As far as the scale - seriously, you, me and everyone doing this program needs to throw that sucker out the window. Unless you're eating at a deficit, or rather, EVEN IF you're eating at a deficit, you're just not going to see the scale numbers drop with the water retention from working your muscles. However, you will see your clothes become looser (my pants are swimming on me today!) and isn't that a better indication of fat loss? Cause it's fat we want to lose, not "weight." I know it's hard to remember, I know it sucks seeing the numbers standstill or even increase, but if you're eating right, you know it's not fat you're gaining and the water weight is just temporary.

So, this is all my opinion and anyone else is free to chime in and correct me, etc. :drinker:
    [/quote]]]

Wow! Well said!! And if my pants start swimming on me....You are absolutely right, could care less about the # on the scale. Will prob do like you did for awhile. I am goal oriented and just can't stop doing the C25K until I am completed it. I am in week 5 so only one month to go there and I am done!
    Love this post..and I will hoist one up for ya! :drinker:
  • GertiLee
    GertiLee Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Those Jillian DVDs had me convinced I was stronger than I thought too! I usually run on Sun, Tues and Thurs and I've been doing NROL4W Mon, Weds, and Fri. I don't think I could do both on the same day. My legs would never forgive me!
  • up2me2lose20
    Options

Those Jillian DVDs had me convinced I was stronger than I thought too! I usually run on Sun, Tues and Thurs and I've been doing NROL4W Mon, Weds, and Fri. I don't think I could do both on the same day. My legs would never forgive me!

I do like to go back to the JM DVD's once in a while just to see if I'm improving. :smile:
  • LHann360
    LHann360 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Stage 1 week 2 workout B tonight.
    I added weight to the barbell this time. So my squat sets are 65#. Made me sweat. I warm up on the bike for 10 mins, but then I get right into it. I figure it's just enough to warm up my leg muscles, then I stretch when I'm done. I upped my seated rows to 75# and it felt really good. I'm not sure how often to increase, but it seems okay. I can't imagine getting to the man pushups. But I've read the other posts from the ladies and I see it in my future. :bigsmile:

I've been using a library book and just purchased a copy from walmart for $10. What a deal - I get to pick it up on Tuesday. Sure would be nice to see the calories burned on MFP exercise page. Makes me over my calorie goal. :sad: I know I'm doing good, I just like the little encouragement from the computer :laugh:
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I have only just ordered the book...and I never order books so this is something I am really interested in. I joined this group because I love weightlifting and hope to further transform my body to the strong woman that lays beneath the layer of fat. I am glad that this group exists because I need that little bit of support from you ladies.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Stage 1, week 1, workout B for me last night with a 10-minute stationary bike warmup. I had to do it at home as I had some work to finish, so probably didn't use exactly the right weights and had to improvise using my kettlebell, dumbbells and heavy-tension exercise band. My bottom aches!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I have only just ordered the book...and I never order books so this is something I am really interested in. I joined this group because I love weightlifting and hope to further transform my body to the strong woman that lays beneath the layer of fat. I am glad that this group exists because I need that little bit of support from you ladies.
    Welcome to the group! It's a very supportive group and you'll get quick answers if you have questions. Love these women!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I am on week 7 (3 sets of 8) of stage 1. Did the squat workout on Wednesday and squatted 95 pounds. Trying to decide where to go on the deadlifts today; I did 3 sets of 10 at 80 pounds last week.

As for other stuff - I am also goal oriented and am running a 15K (a new distance record for me!) on December 3rd. So I run 3x a week, but not on the same days that I lift. I also do a lot of yoga (and in the past month have been doing even MORE yoga to complete a 25-day challenge at my studio).

I do want to try a half-marathon next spring just to see how I do, but I think I like the 5-10K distance best. Lifting and yoga have both definitely helped improve my running.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Whoo just finished week 2 of stage one and a feeling great!! I love how I can still feel my workout days later. Next week to up the weights again :D