What Keeps You Going?

Just curious--what keeps you going while you're C25K'ing? When I did it before I would skip a run interval or 2. This time I must say I have NOT skipped any running and that's thanks to THIS GROUP! Granted, it's only W1D2 for me, but this is awesome! My mindset is different than before--I actually have a goal and I am determined like never before!

So, what keeps you going?

Replies

• Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    I just finished Day 2 and am finding it very hard to get all of my running intervals in, but I am doing it! Sometimes, if I skip an interval or cut it short, I try to make up for it later on in the run. It's really hard to do but then I just sort of think about how awful it feels to feel like a failure!

I listen to music when I c25k so I just try to focus on the words to the song and sort of "zone out" or else all I can think about is how tired I am!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    the last run or two I have to really pep talk myself the whole time. like "ok come on, get to that tree and then you can look at the time, don't look til you get to the tree, you can do it"

and
    "The end of this stretch is probably going to be the end of this run too, just get to the end and we can stop!
  • Summerleahd
    Summerleahd Posts: 314 Member
    I like to count to 10 when I start to feel wiped out during a run interval. I would count to 10 each time I planted my right foot (so like 20 footsteps) and then I would count to 10 again.. Cause hey.,who can't make it 10 more seconds? I'm not sure how that will work when the running intervals start to get longer.

Either that, or I'll listen to a song that completely takes me in. And I'll let that song, and the running just get all the negative energy out of me and feel free, I'm not sure if that made sense.
  • I really like the count to 10 idea! I've been running on the treadmill and watching my DVR'd episodes of Rachael Ray! :) I have my iPod (LOVE the app!) hooked into the surround so I know when to do my intervals. Otherwise I like to listen to music. I've got to have something to focus on, though. Here's to no skipping running intervals!!!!
  • sehein7
    sehein7 Posts: 78 Member
    Either that, or I'll listen to a song that completely takes me in. And I'll let that song, and the running just get all the negative energy out of me and feel free, I'm not sure if that made sense.

Makes sense to me! Good music keeps me going twice as long! Today when my first C25K was over, I was a little sad because I wasn't ready to stop.
  • gettingfit65
    gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
    sometimes the only thing that gets me going is saying to myself "ya I feel lazy, tired, etc, but I know I will feel so goooood when I am done!!
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    The first time I attempted this program, I was always counting down to the end of the interval. I didn't do well with my breathing, and always had a hard time making it through the time. I stuck with it for as long as I did because the idea of being a runner was very attractive. Once I completed my first 5K (mid week 5), I kind of lost the motivation. I was really sore after the race, and because I was doing it but not necessarily enjoying it, I didn't have a huge draw to get back into it. Plus life got in the way...

I think, this time, I am more mentally prepared to run and am really enjoying getting back to it. I am only on Day 2, but I wasn't really counting how many intervals I had left or dying to reach the end of each interval barely halfway through it. I think I could skip ahead if I wanted to, but I am enjoying it so I don't want to mess that up.

I do listen to a C25K podcast. If anyone doesn't have an app on their phone to listen to, I would suggest Googling "C25K Podcast" and find one with music you like to download onto your MP3 player. It really helps me to get in the zone and the beat helps me to keep up the pace!
  • Summerleahd
    Summerleahd Posts: 314 Member

Makes sense to me! Good music keeps me going twice as long! Today when my first C25K was over, I was a little sad because I wasn't ready to stop.

If I have time. I usually keep going! I would then run for a song, walk for a song, etc etc until I was ready to go in. So far it's working for me :) and makes me happier lol
  • ontheskinnyroad
    ontheskinnyroad Posts: 205 Member
    I think the thing that's keeping me going now is I have a 5k nxt month. I signed up for it in August and got all the way to wk 5 and stopped (sigh). I started back at week 3 this week and really want to complete this program. I know I will not be done by the time of the 5k but just the thought of completing something for me is really important!!! Plus when I put my IPOD on I feel unstoppable. Music is amazing!!!!!! I couldn't imagine myself being a runner. I am proud of myself. My sister started with me but is pregnant now and she still runs!!! I just love her she makes me push even harder. She will be doing the 5k with me also and just the fact that I have her there is enough to make me keep it going!!!
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Beating this stupid knee injury! It got me so down and depressed. I hated feeling like that. I don't want to have surgery, so I am trying everything I can to make sure that doesn't happen. I listen to the NHS podcast and often say not so nice things to the voice on the podcast, but then I always tell myself on that last run, get your *kitten* moving woman, you don't want to be like this for forever. I also play the mind games, just make it to that pile of leaves or that tree ahead. The podcast doesn't allow you to play your own music but the music that is on there is strangly motivating!
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Overall, I want to kick butt in a Warrior Dash next suummer, so I have to be able to run a 5k. Also, I just signed up for a 5k race that will take place 1 week after I finish C25K, so those two things are motivating me to stick with the program.

I just started week 7, so I'm into the 25min+ runs. I just put together an really great playlist before I start. I run outside, so I will focus on getting to the end of the block I'm on or getting to the end of the street or the next car etc. I'll just pick a point and run to it. The playlist REALLY helps me. If I'm listening to a slow song, I slow down. Fast song=faster running. I try not to think about how much time I have left (19 minutes?! Still?!!!), I just make little mini goals.

I actually have another running app that I also use during C25K. It tells me my speed and some other info, but I check that to make sure I'm keeping up my speed. If I'm thinking about pushing myself just a little faster, I find that I don't think so much about how LONG I have left. Side note on speed though, don't push yourself TOO hard. The program is designed to simply get you to jog a 5k. After completing the program, you can always increase your speed.

Good luck everyone!!