Elliptical Users Welcome!

Options
kenlad64
kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
How do you use your elliptical to help you get or stay healthy?

I try to use mine about 6 times a week, between 20 and sixty minutes. I watch a lot of older VHS movies I never thought I'd watch again. I also watch a lot of DVDs too (can't stand commercials). Currently watching "Dexter" season 1 and "The Pacific".

Replies

• evelyngrice
    evelyngrice Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I do a similar thing, generally hop on the cross trainer when there is something on TV that I want to watch - keeps my mind off the fact I am doing exercise :)
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I am on mine at 4:30 every morning before work, at least 5 times a week, usually more (but not at 4:30!!). I set up Netflix and watch whatever TV series I'm into at the moment! Have gone through King of Queens, The Gates, Brothers & Sisters and am currently into Army Wives and 3rd Rock from the Sun!!! Truly makes the time go by SO much faster!
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Funny, I am usually on mine at 4:30 am on most days, it is the only time of the day I have time to use it. It''s great to have one at home. We have a space saver model and it wasn''t that expensive. I don't trust the HRM on it or the "calories burned" information it supplies. I am still estimating about 14 calories a minute (based on my current weight). I want to get a HRM (looking at the Polar FT40) soon. I am getting a bit obsessed :)
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    I use mine about 3 times a week for about 45 min. Usually do resistance intervals.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I leave the house at 6:00 am, on the elliptical at 6:15 am, and aim for 45-60 mins 3-4 times per week. When I first started back in June, I could only do about 6 minutes at a time on Level 0. I'm now up to Level 3. Sometimes I watch TV, sometimes I just people watch out of the gym's large ceiling-to-floor window (it's in a small strip mall). :bigsmile: This week I haven't been able to go because I have a cold.:sick: I'll be back soon though :happy:
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I watched the entire Desperate Housewives series on my elliptical (not at one time of course!)
  • LamsieDee
    Options
    I have a nordic track that I use about every other day. I like to set it for the weight loss program 1 or 2 and challenge myself to a 5 minute mile. If I hit the mile then I slow down til the mext 5 minute period. I usually listen to music since it plugs into my elliptical. I'm not much of a tv watcher. I pace myself with the pace of the music mostly.
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Love the elliptical!

I just started using the Precor AMT- Adaptive Motion Trainer, it is amazing! You can vary your strides to mimic stairclimbing, running, or more of a long stride sprint. I've also never gotten such a great calorie burn..using my HRM today I burned 310 in 35 minutes. Definitely a new fave!
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I wish I had one at home!

My gym has a bunch though, and it's my favourite cardio exercise on days that I don't Zumba, lol. I keep my iPod playing, but I like to sneak peaks at what others are watching, lol.

I crank the crossramp and the resistance up to 10 (and high for HIIT), and go to it for 30-60 minutes!
  • Belinda_81
    Belinda_81 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use mine every weekday while watching the morning news
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    There are 3 different kinds of ellipitcals at my gym, love them all. I am usually on one for about 30-45min. I am making my way up to an hour!! It is my favourite when I do cardio.
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    i love the elliptical....i work out after work every night (6 nights a week) and i use the elliptical machine about 4 times a week for at least 30-60 min. a session...i turn on GAC (great american country) and rock out to some country music
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I use an HRM (Polar FT4) and have found that my elliptical calorie burn estimation is right on with my HRM. I have a Sole E35, which I highly recommend, btw, where I have to enter my age and weight, etc. It's usually within a few (maybe 10 or less) calories from my HRM.
  • WillieEverlearn
    WillieEverlearn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Trying to get back into running (er...slow jogging) shape for a half marathon, maybe even a full marathon, down the road. Typically, I only run 3-4 days per week (especially now, after such a long break from the running). On the off days, I love me some elliptical. In fact, right now I'm doing more elliptical and less running, trying to build up my cardiovascular endurance. The elliptical is a good, low-impact, cardio workout.
  • katm427
    katm427 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I usually do about thirty minutes a day on the elliptical. I switch it around with the intensities and the programs for variety, but I keep the time consistent.
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I usually do about thirty minutes a day on the elliptical. I switch it around with the intensities and the programs for variety, but I keep the time consistent.

ive worked up to an elevation of 12 and incline of 12 as well...but i do try to do about 40-60 min when i do it.....i do the manual setting so i can change it when i want....
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Morning all!

Does anyone know if it's true, going backwards on the elliptical does Nothing for my Glutes? I read this in a post recently and it really disappointed me. :noway:
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I do the weight loss program, it's 33 min long (including the 5 min rest at the end) I like it!
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have the Walmart Gold's Gym elliptical and I hate it! I love the one at the fitness center but don't get to go much.
  • imalikat2
    imalikat2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Don't have an elliptical at home (have treadmill), but my favorite machine at the gym is the elliptical. Every gym I go to has a different model and they all give me a different burn. (I hit about 6 different gyms in the area). Most of the time I'm on it doing a quick 30 minute cardio at lunch... better than nothing.... Sometimes I wish I had the elliptical at home instead of the treadmill, but I like them both!