Introduce yourself...

Options
godroxmysox
godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
Name & age? How long have you been interested in photography? Do you prefer nature/children/weddings/senior photos? Anything else you'd like us to know about you?

Replies

• kbonamour
    kbonamour Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Krista, and I just turned 30 this past summer. I have owned my own photography business for about 3 years now, Chaos Studios Photography. I love to photograph anything and everything- my camera goes just about everywhere with me. I would have to say that kids are my absolute favorite, though. I look forward to getting to know all of you! Check out my work if you would like to www.chaos-studios.smugmug.com
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Hi! Mike here. 43 just this past October. I have been in to photography off an on all my life, but recently got back into it heavily about four years ago. Up to that point it has been mostly nature photography, which is still my passion, but I love all aspects of it. My favorites are landscapes and animals but just recently started doing a bit of small studio shots and outdoor portrait.
  • Tmbrooks75
    Tmbrooks75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Trevor, 36, just got into photography about 2 months ago or so. Know nothing about the field other than I like taking pics. I love nature shots and macro shots the best. But also interested in model photography and sports photography down the road. Need to get the basics down first. And this is why I joined here as my first group on MFP. :)
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. Im Julie. Im 32. I mostly do portraits with the occasional wedding or event thrown in there. Its mostly a hobby right now. lol.... my poor kids. Ive been shooting since highschool when I worked for the school paper. I desperately miss the dark room. le sigh. Heres a link to my flickr page. Ihttp://www.flickr.com/photos/catlinfamily/ ts mostly family pics. I should throw some other work up there!
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm Audra, I'm 32 and bought my first DSLR last year after my son turned 1 year old. I am self taught and always looking to learn more. I love taking pics of my son and his playmates and I takes pics of family friends when they ask, make no $ doing this...just for fun! I absolutely love taking my camera everywhere and experimenting with different settings and thinking through what I need to do to get the perfect shot!
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Angie and I think of myself as 35 and am annoyed that my birth certificate disagrees. I have been a photography assistant and self-employed doing portraits and photo restoration. My true love is landscape photography and have no problem getting up at ridiculous hours to catch the perfect light. I am a Pentaxian. I was given my first Pentax in high school and went from film to digital as soon as the quality of color photos was comparable.
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    I'm Becky ~ I'm 37. I've loved taking pictures my entire life. I used to sneak my mom's camera away when it had film, and photographed everything. I started using a slr about 5 yrs ago, and moved to a dslr soon after that. I take my kids portraits along with their friends, I've taken baby pic's, and so far 3 weddings. I much much prefer nature photography however. I have hundreds of nature pictures :)
  • shelltree
    shelltree Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My name is Shelley and I'm 24. I live in Brisbane, Australia and have been interested in photography for 4/5 years. I got more seriously into photography 3 years ago and purchased my first DSLR, a secondhand Canon 400D. I shoot nature photography, mainly seascapes/landscapes/waterscapes and macro.

Great to see a photography group on MFP, the best of both worlds :)

It's good to meet you all!
  • kbonamour
    kbonamour Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. Im Julie. Im 32. I mostly do portraits with the occasional wedding or event thrown in there. Its mostly a hobby right now. lol.... my poor kids. Ive been shooting since highschool when I worked for the school paper. I desperately miss the dark room. le sigh. Heres a link to my flickr page. Ihttp://www.flickr.com/photos/catlinfamily/ ts mostly family pics. I should throw some other work up there!

I love the one titled 'stellaclose'! Very beautiful! One of the best photos I have ever taken of my son is a close-up of his eyelashes from one eye, his nose, the corner of his mouth and all his adorable freckles. 'sm10', with the 2 little girls, is also an amazing shot! The little girl looking down makes the photo evoke a lot of sentimental, nostalgic feelings of growing up with my sister. I also really enjoy 'sunflower'. The colors are great, and so is the composition of the photo. Well done! The contrast of the grays with the very small amount of green and yellow in 'leaf on sidewalk' is nice. I think it would have been very interesting to see how the photo would have turned out if you had gotten closer to the sidewalk and taken the photo at more of an angle. I bet that you could have gotten some really neat shots where the cracks in the sidewalk would have had a great vanishing point effect.
  • cathrinebock
    Options
    Hi all! I'm Cathy and I am 28 and a full-time wedding photographer with my husband in Chicago. We've been in business for 4 years now, and I love it! (check out our blog at www.cathydavidphoto.com/blog)

I joined MFP to help me attain my weight loss goals. As a photojournalistic wedding photographer, I have to move around a lot and be energetic (usually in the hot sun in a black suit), and being overweight really hinders me sometimes. My main goal is to get healthy, but I know that losing weight will also help me be a better and more confident photographer. :)
  • wml_77
    wml_77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Wendy. I'm 34 and live in Maine. I have been a digital nature photographer since 2008 but have been interested in photography all my life. You can check out my work on facebook. Search for "Wendysue Photography".
  • jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'm To****ugu (but everyone calls me Joe)

I started way back long ago in a time they often call the 80's (ok so it was 1988) I went on to study photography in both HS and College, including Photojournalism, but I was mainly a Fine Art major before switching to Psyche.

Photography wise, I am mainly a street photographer now days (but I have done other kinds in the past). I like to keep things simple, so when I go out shooting I limit myself to carrying a single prime lens, rather than everything I have in my kit. I like the challenge of limiting yourself to what you have on hand, and I like to improvise on the fly. I am a big fan of natural light and SOOC, and I am not a fan of the heavy use of Photoshop.
  • prb11
    prb11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Paige and I am 17 years old :) I take senior pictures and childrens portraits! I am from Ohio and I bought my first DSLR when I was 14. I am currently a Junior in high school and I have a part time job where I earn all of my money to buy new camera equipment.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hi.. This is my first post on MFP!
    I'm Tracey and I'm from Nottingham in the UK.
    I've been into photography for more years than I care to remember.
    Up until I had my kids, I used an Olympus OM10 (and OM40) camera, but that was before autofocus, and I couldnt get good shots of my kids being kids. I temporarily traded down to 35mm point and shoots for a few years, and disappointed in my photography, drifted away for a while. I have had numerous digital cameras, including one that used a floppy disc for its storage.... but I a few years ago hubby bought me my first DSLR, an Olympus E410... and I fell in love with photography all over again!
    I have now upgraded to a newer model with built-in image stabilisation, and bought a couple of non-kit lenses and I love the quality I can get from this small and lightweight DSLR. I also have a point and shoot olympus which produces wonderful images too.
    A couple of years ago, I combined my love of photography with my love of looking through old photographs and started my website which I hope will grow to showcase the best old and new photographs from around the world.
    Thanks for reading this :)
    Tracey
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Mari, been doing photography as a hobby for about 3 years now. I don't have the best camera but I think I do ok!

you can see my stuff on my website www.projectsyn.com

:bigsmile:
  • brianward81
    brianward81 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm Brian, I'm 30 and had been using a point and shoot quite a lot since I was around 21. I wouldn't say I was into photography so much at the time, I just used the camera a lot at parties and liked tinkering with the settings. I started getting some nice comments about some of the shots I was taking at friends weddings and so the seeds were planted.

I really got into photography 2 years ago when my daughter was born. We had a photo shoot with a professional place and it cost us SO much money I thought; Why can't I do this and make it more affordable for someone like me? So I went out and bought a Canon 40D, a Sigma 24-70 and a 430 EX II strobe and set about learning as much as possible. I did a 3 night workshop that covered SLR basics, posing, lighting, and editing in Photoshop. I read countless forums, scoured books and just practised. I say that as if it doesn't happen anymore, just not as feverishly as I used to as I am getting a bit more comfortable with my ability. I started my own small business a few months later and slowly started getting jobs. My first gig was for a make-up artists website. What!? I don't even wear make-up, anymore. But it went really well and I learned a tonne (as you do any time you shoot) and kept at it. Since then I've done around 4-6 paid gigs a year in the last 2 years and I love it. It's on the side and I just wait for jobs to come to me as I don't have copious amounts of time to devote to it at the moment (I now have 2 kids, daughter is nearly 3 and my son is 6 months).

I will now shut up about myself as I have just realised how much I have rambled about myself.

I have a very basic website that has barely any of my shots here;
    http://www.brianwardphotography.com.au

I've also got some of my favourite live music shots on my Facebook page;
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150122842658478.330962.788473477&type=1&l=5a69d21059

Will update more soon and I look forward to all the topics we come up with on here.
  • jlchow
    jlchow Posts: 40
    Options
    Jacky, 25. I've used SLRs since I was 12.

Got into digital around 23.

Current camera is a Nikon D5000. I usually use my Sigma 10-20mm when I go urban exploring. I use my 35mm Nikon when I'm just out and about.

My big thing now is Urban Exploring. I've been on a few explores which are always fun and exciting. Haven't been in a while because of logistics. I'd only maintain photography if I maintained urban exploring; the two go hand in hand for me. It's capturing the ghost of a building, it's a weird way to think about things.

What I love most is the feeling of falling behind the viewfinder. It's like I'm not even there.

5269162323_b80dd4cbc3.jpg
    anchor-guts-2 by curelightwounds, on Flickr
  • Netzie
    Netzie Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Linette and I am 47. I have been taken photography classes now for 4 years. I can only take one each semester cause I work full time. I prefer landscapes but have become intrested in contemporary portraiture/narrative since I started taking classes. I went back to school when my daughter took a photoclass all I wanted to really learn is about my camera, a Canon Rebel, and how to use it out of auto mode. Wish I would have discovered photography in my 20's, I really love it. I have taken two B/W film and one color film and now I am learning 4x5 film camera. I love my Holga 120 film. My tool of choice is my Canon7d. :bigsmile:
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Forrest - I'm 34 and have always liked taking pictures. Around 2000-2001 got some money for Christmas from my parents and bought an entry level Nikon (N65) and have been hooked since. I was a "I'll never give up film" guy for a long time, but then I bought a D70. Never touched my N65 after that. I've since upgraded to a D90 and LOVE it. There is so much that camera can do it's incredible. Worst thing is I'm still using my old 35mm lenses because I'm cheap and my 35mm lenses are really good as they are aside from have ZERO ability for wide angle shots.

I've never taken a class on photography. Maybe I should, it would force me to look at some things differently behind the viewfinder. I've shot a handful of weddings for friends & family because I work cheap. I do a lot of motorcycle riding, so I take lots of scenery pics. I've also done well taking pics of riders in action too, and that's a lot of fun. I've got some neat macro pics too. I work for an international folk dance festival every summer and enjoy taking pictures of the performers dancing. The performances are no-flash, so I've enjoyed the challenge of pushing the limits of the camera to get good pictures of movement in questionable lighting. I have also had my camera to a couple Trans-Siberian Orchestra concerts with great results.

I've got a collection of a few old (really old) cameras too, just for the heck of it. I think my oldest one dates back to the 1930s.

Equipment:

Nikon D90
    Tamron 35-105mm f2.8
    Quantaray 28-85mm f3.5-5.6
    Quantaray 50mm f2.8
    Quantaray 70-210mm f4-5.6
    Tamron 200-400mm, f5.6

JM
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, my name is Karmyn and I am a wedding/senior/family photographer in Northeast MIssouri. I have been in business for about 5 years, full time for the last two years and I love it all (except accounting ) :) You can find my website at www.ribbonsandrainbowsphotography.com and I am active on facebook as well under Ribbons and Rainbows Photography. I am on MFP trying to lose some weight for my upcoming wedding and meet some new people!