MIM the muffin in a minute (questions & recipes)

Options
DahnaLane
DahnaLane Posts: 97 Member
QUESTION:
On the breakfast thread someone asked if MIM's are allowable during induction.

From what I gleaned from the Atkins site, it is suggested to eat after induction... What is your experience with MIM's and the phases?

RECIPES:
inmho... MIM's are amazing!
I did a bit of scouring over a few sites a few weeks back, and posted the recipes in my MFP blog. If you go to the blog, the MIM entry is the first one. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/DahnaLane

AND if you have any variations of the MIM, please share.

Replies

• dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I think they're fine for induction honestly. They're low enough in carbs to not get in the way. And, let's face it, they're wonderful!
    I love the chocolate and pumpkin ones, and I also made a garlic and onion one to use as a bun for a burger one day :)
    There's a huge list of variations that another low carber gave on the atkins thread that I stuck up on my website(http://blog.pittsburgh-diet-guru.com) too.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    According to the Atkins site, MIMs are acceptable for all phases. I'd limit them to one per day during induction, however, or for anyone who isn't used to that much fiber.
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I've always eaten them during induction. I imagine that some variations are not phase 1 friendly, but for the most part, they're allowed.
  • MjDavis1981
    MjDavis1981 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Are these hard to make? I'm not much for cooking.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Are these hard to make? I'm not much for cooking.
    They're the easiest thing ever! You mix the ingredients in a coffee mug and microwave for 1 minute. The muffin slides right out of the mug. You then slice, butter or top however you like, and eat!
  • ondogirl
    ondogirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am tempted...LOL! The main thing I am cautious about is the whole net carbs thing. Last time I did Atkins, it was old school version, so I am paranoid about the subtracting fiber stuff (especially if it is not a vegetable) It feels like I'm cheating when I do that LOL.... Maybe after induction would be best for me.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    I am tempted...LOL! The main thing I am cautious about is the whole net carbs thing. Last time I did Atkins, it was old school version, so I am paranoid about the subtracting fiber stuff (especially if it is not a vegetable) It feels like I'm cheating when I do that LOL.... Maybe after induction would be best for me.
    Keep in mind that lots of fiber is recommended while eating low carb so you don't get... backed up. Flax meal is a great way to get that fiber, as well as Omega-3s.
  • MjDavis1981
    Options
    Where do youget the recipes?
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Where do you get the recipes?
    http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase1/WhatYouCanEatinthisPhase/AllAboutMIMs.aspx

You can search the Atkins forums, too. These are some of the more popular variations, but there are hundreds of them. There have also been lots of them posted in the older versions of the Atkins Support Group threads.
  • MjDavis1981
    Options
    Thank you. Now where do I get flax meal and baking powder?
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Thank you. Now where do I get flax meal and baking powder?
    Baking powder can be found in the baking aisle of any grocery store. Just don't confuse it with baking soda. Baking powder usually comes in a tin as opposed to a box.

Flax meal might be more tricky. Many grocery stores carry it but it could be in the baking aisle or with the organic/specialty foods. Trader Joe's carries it. I bought mine at Costco and highly recommend the brand if you have access to one in your area.
  • MjDavis1981
    Options
    Thanks so much, Sue.
  • Leanne1795
    Options
    I only have these if I'm not going to be home for lunch and need a packed lunch. It doesn't happen very often but it did today and I had a lovely plain mim with chicken salad in my lunch box. Yummy! :happy:
  • punkinbaby1
    punkinbaby1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i am addicted to peanutbutter MIM!! :) and cant wait to try the garlic herb one for a burger!! sounds great! i scored on flax meal today on sale 2.50 a bag!! woohoo it is my main bfast now,then i know i am getting in fiber!!
  • yummummum
    Options
    I was skeptical at first but I am a HUGE fan of the MIM!!!

SO EASY and really filling. I make them at work too.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm additcted to them! I've been experimenting with extracts. I make the rich cocoa mim with cherry extract. I then add sugar free Pillsbury chocolate fudge frosting on top. I add that topping to my pumpkin mims too. I add lemon extract to a basic mim, sans cinnamon. I just got banana extract; also fabulous with a basic mim with the cinnamon. I use cream cheese frosting. I've added peanut butter to the cocoa mim, and I've made the hamburger slice mim. Perfect for grilled ham and cheese or a burger with avacado. I have a variation of a mim almost daily!
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I've only made the pumpkin MIM. They are awesome. Once the muffin is cooked, I put sugar free syrup on top. Makes it taste a lot better and I don't even have to put splenda in the mix.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I've only made the pumpkin MIM. They are awesome. Once the muffin is cooked, I put sugar free syrup on top. Makes it taste a lot better and I don't even have to put splenda in the mix.

I do this exact same thing! Try it with the chocolate one ;)
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I substituted the flax for some wheat bran when I made it and didn't add any sweetener...it kinda worked. Made it in a square tupperware box, sliced it, topped with cheese and grilled.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    What's the carb count using wheat bran?

I can't eat many MIMs, because I need to keep my fiber intake low (backwards, I know!), but sugar free honey is also really good on top of the regular MIM and many of the flavors.