Primal Exercise

Options
kkarrolle
kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
I am currently developing my primal exercise plan...long walks at reasonable pace, occasional heavy lifting and some occasional sprints.

Walks 4 to 5 times a week, full body work out every 10 days or so, two mini sessions every 3 or 4 days, sprints once every 8 to 10 days.

Just wondering what exercise the more experienced primal people are doing?

Replies

• kkarrolle
    Options
    Just downloaded the primal fitness ebook and have bookmarked the marksdailyapple channel on youtube, looks like I have some reading and watching to do.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I found this website..which has some exercises...
    http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/what-are-paleo-exercises.aspx
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I do quite a bit of slow walking and occasional heavy lifting at my job.

At the beginning of the year (or when my energy level increases) I am going to start Crossfit classes.
  • tjnahm
    tjnahm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I made a 20lb mace from a bowling ball and steel pipe, a slosh tube, tire and sledgehammer, and next is getting a mini trampoline and medicine ball to do some rebounding work... all are lots of fun and varied!

If you care to see pics of them, or more details, you can check out my post below:

http://theshinypenny.wordpress.com/2011/10/19/homemade-exercise-equipment/
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I do bootcamp, it includes a lot of body weight and functional exercises and there's some sprint work involved. We use sandbags, kettlebells, dumbbells, jump ropes. It's indoor and shoeless (unless you buy shoes specifically for his mat). I've been trying to add in some heavier weight lifting on the weekend but it's been kind of sporadic. I like walking but I don't take the opportunity to do it as much as I should. I've been pretty content with just doing the bootcamp since it never seems to get boring.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I made a 20lb mace from a bowling ball and steel pipe, a slosh tube, tire and sledgehammer, and next is getting a mini trampoline and medicine ball to do some rebounding work... all are lots of fun and varied!

Nice! We have a tire & sledgehammer but many of the girls find it off-putting so we don't get to use it very often. Do you just swing your mace or do you crush things with it too?
  • Mighty125
    Options
    I am planning to do the 30 day Shred, not sure if Primal though...
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    your home made equipment was awesome and your son sure is cute. Good ideas :)
  • kkarrolle
    Options
    Some great ideas, thanks everyone much appreciated.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I'm crossfitting - I was going 5 days a week, but going to change it up and do 3 x week and 3 times a week running.
  • kkarrolle
    Options
    Found this excellent thread on the Marksdailyapple site...about a fairly basic but very effective workout. Lots of levels to work through for advancement and looks quite challenging.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread7663.html
  • scarrier715
    scarrier715 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Mark Sisson (Marksdailyapple.com) is a mainstay for me. I find him so refreshing and informative. He is devoted without being fanatic. I need reasonable and intelligent in my life, not rote and one-size-fits-all. I need the one size lifestyle that actually fits ME and I think this primal lifestyle is the one.

I highly recommend reading Sally Fallon's book "Nourishing Traditions", also. Interestingly, a lot of going paleo/primal is returning back toward the lifestyle of 2-3 generations ago....not that long ago really.

It's very interesting to learn the old ways of doing things. Turns out we do not have to depend totally on Big Food, unless we want to. They do everything they can to entice us, but we don't have to go.

Onward and downward!
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    I did something very primal. I wanted to simulate carrying my kill back to the tribe. So I took my 100 pound sand bag for a 3.2 km walk.

Pic is my profile pic at the moment.

Combined the regular easy movement and the heavy lifting into one massive workout :)
  • kkarrolle
    Options
    I did something very primal. I wanted to simulate carrying my kill back to the tribe. So I took my 100 pound sand bag for a 3.2 km walk.

Pic is my profile pic at the moment.

Combined the regular easy movement and the heavy lifting into one massive workout :)

Quite inventive! And a great workout : )
  • kkarrolle
    Options
    Scarrier, I am not into extreme and have always thought that to the way to get healthy, fit and lose fat is the way that I intend to maintain it was achived, and I agree with your comments regarding Mark Sissom, he is passionate without being fanatical and is very reasonable...primal blueprint is the same..and the wholistic lifestyle approach is the way to get healthy, fit and lose fat and maintain it as well.
  • PrimalMorningMoon
    PrimalMorningMoon Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I walk almost every day, I hike more seriously a time or two a week (which will include snowshoeing and xc skiing as winter comes to the mountains). I do body weight exercises, often while walking outdoors, and a bit of kettlebell stuff. I do some sprints from time to time. I do yoga once or twice a week. I have a rebounder, rubberbands, exercise balls, and other equipment at home that I work in from time to time. I made a standing work station and I LOVE that. I do yard work and gardening--it's way more fun when I think of it as primal work. :) I feed horses a few times a week...throwing hay and lifting bales. I park far away from the doors wherever I go. I think incorporating extra movement throughout all areas of my life is being very helpful.
  • PrimalMorningMoon
    PrimalMorningMoon Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I walk almost every day, I hike more seriously a time or two a week (which will include snowshoeing and xc skiing as winter comes to the mountains). I do body weight exercises, often while walking outdoors, and a bit of kettlebell stuff. I do some sprints from time to time. I do yoga once or twice a week. I have a rebounder, rubberbands, exercise balls, and other equipment at home that I work in from time to time. I made a standing work station and I LOVE that. I do yard work and gardening--it's way more fun when I think of it as primal work. :) I feed horses a few times a week...throwing hay and lifting bales. I park far away from the doors wherever I go. I think incorporating extra movement throughout all areas of my life is being very helpful. I wear my heart rate monitor almost all the time. It's an inexpensive Sportline watch that doesn't require a chest band. I like seeing how things like raking and mowing and other mundane things bring my heart rate nicely into the moderate aerobic range that is recommended. Having lots of quick feedback like that helps me, too.
  • tjnahm
    tjnahm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Nice! We have a tire & sledgehammer but many of the girls find it off-putting so we don't get to use it very often. Do you just swing your mace or do you crush things with it too?
    I use the mace mostly for swinging drills, however I also use two of them as pushup stands, free weights for curls, overhead lifts, butterflys, etc. Basically anything that gets tiring after a few reps... haha. I could just as easily use it for hitting the tire I guess... Might have to try that today. :)
    your home made equipment was awesome and your son sure is cute. Good ideas :)
    Thanks! He is such a ham. The "thumbs up" picture is his favorite pose for the camera... haha