Good Books and Movies

xLyric
xLyric Posts: 840 Member
So, I read a lot. Mostly fiction for young adults, and there are a bunch of good LGBT+ books out there. (It helps working in a library, haha.) My favorites have been Alex Sanchez's "Rainbow Boys" series and John Green's "Will Grayson, Will Grayson."

What are some of your favorite LGBT+ books?

I've also seen a couple of good movies, though less than books because I don't watch much in the first place, and I won't watch anything with an unhappy ending. My absolute favorite so far has been "Shelter."

What are some of your favorite LGBT+ movies?

(Extra bit of awesome (That may or may not be work-safe (kissing, intimate scene though nothing is shown)): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVp9_o4YklA : a "Shelter" fan video with "Where You End" by Moby as the music.)

Replies

• maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    movies: Get Real - it's a UK production about two high school boys - it's about love and questioning and coming out.

Jeffery - based on the stage play of the same name - it's about a gay man who is so affraid of contracting HIV, that he decides not to date. enter the love of his life.

Kinsey - movie about the life of Kinsey and how he came up with the scale.

Broken Hearts Club - fantastic movie, made before it's time. it's the most "guy" gay movie i've seen. character study of a group of friends who play baseball on an all-gay team.
  • Schwarzeaugen
    Schwarzeaugen Posts: 129 Member
    I liked: Dorian Blues, Summer Storm (Deutsch), and Blue Citrus Hearts.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    One of my favorite movies was a french movie called "French Twist" or "Gazon maudit"
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Hero by Perry Moore is one of my favorites. It's a teen book, but it's so well written that I recommend for everyone. Seriously! :)
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Books
    - Dare, Truth or Promise, Paula Boock
    - Some Girls, Kristin McKloy
    - Fingersmith, Sarah Waters
    - Various mangas

Movies
    - Saving Face
    - Fingersmith
    - DEBS
    - Gia
    - Show Me Love
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    my all time favorite movie:

but i'm a cheerleader (i saw this when i was a high school cheerleader...and it hit a bit too close to home)
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member

but i'm a cheerleader (i saw this when i was a high school cheerleader...and it hit a bit too close to home)

I love that movie too, despite the fact that I was never a cheerleader.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member

I third this. It's hilarious and yet not funny at all, because of all the truths... (plus- Rufio from Hook is in it!)

Another favorite lesbian movie of mine: There's Something About Jane (Lifetime original)
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member

I third this. It's hilarious and yet not funny at all, because of all the truths... (plus- Rufio from Hook is in it!)

fourth! i was actually coming in here to edit my post to add this. But I'm a Cheerleader is an awesome flick.
  • SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member

Another favorite lesbian movie of mine: There's Something About Jane (Lifetime original)

Fantastic movie that I show to all my "new" friends . . .if they don't like it, we re-evaluate our friendship :)
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member
    I always recommend Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Not exclusively a "gay" movie, but Val Kilmer plays a gay private investigator and he's hilarious in it. It's also got Robert Downey Jr. Like I said it's not targeted specifically at a gay audience, but it's a great movie and a really great representation of a normal, not effeminate or stereotypical, gay dude.
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member

fourth! i was actually coming in here to edit my post to add this. But I'm a Cheerleader is an awesome flick.

Fantastic movie! My best friend was dating a woman at the time and we watched it together.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Latter Days - my best and I have watched it back-to-back at least 6 times in a weekend. It's about an out and proud boy who meets a closeted Mormon boy, it makes me bawl.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Latter Days - my best and I have watched it back-to-back at least 6 times in a weekend. It's about an out and proud boy who meets a closeted Mormon boy, it makes me bawl.

I have been wanting to see that! Thanks for the reminder. Sounds so good to me!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Adore this one...as I grew up Mormon (I'm not anymore, though...)
  • lulukan
    lulukan Posts: 76 Member
    Tipping the Velvet By Sarah Waters.

LOVE This book! The movie stays very close to the book and is also great!!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member

totally forgot about that movie. I love that!
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    I really liked Big Eden.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    I really liked Hood by Emma Donoghue. It's a quiet novel that takes place mostly in the head of the lesbian protagonist, whose parter of 14 years has just died tragically in a car accident.

Emma Donoghue's written other lesbian fiction but for some reason I haven't read it (I did read her most recent book, Room, which did not involve any LGBT themes but was also good).
  • I don't read as much as I used to, but as far as LGBT books I liked all of Sarah Waters; Affinity, Fingersmith, and Tipping the Velvet. There's also a young adult novel called Annie on my mind by Nancy Garden that was good.

Some of my favorite movies are: Gia, Loving Annabelle, Bound (good lesbian movies); the Gymnast, Marine Story, (Dreya Weber stars, inspires me to get in shape); Latter Days, Lost and Delirious, Soldier's girl (good tear-jerkers).