Metabolism = calorie intake...what's the science?

Options
so I'm all about this science of diet but I'm still not sure, how do I know when to increase my calorie intake? Is it once I feel the urge to eat more or see a metabolism speed increase? I just don't understand all you really healthy people that are way fit, but have intakes of 2000+ calories a day, while I'm maintaining a 1700 intake. Tell me the science. :happy:

Replies

• Abigailblue39
    Abigailblue39 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Why are you maintaining at 1700? mine is 1900 + work out cals, and I eat most part of my exercise cals back. I eat frequently throughout the day which appears to help keep up my metabolism. Other than that, my knowledge is rather practical. Metabolism is high if one works out regularly (including cardio and HIIT), eats regularly, carbs IMO is important fuel for activity throughout the day. (breakfast and lunch). Protein re-fuel after work out or in the evening is important so we don't lose too much lean mass.

Everybody is different, it depends on your age, height, gender, etc. but there are a few "crazy" workouters out there that try some other kinds of diet UD2, RFL, eating only at certain hours. I'm thinking about trying one of those myself just for the heck of it. Hey whatever works
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I eat 2300 calories a day (As of this week) ...I'm only 4'11 and ~100 pounds. I think that your metabolic rate is a byproduct of how many calories you eat (metabolic adaptation), how much muscle you have, how many calories you expend and your diet/workout history.

If you are lean and eating at a "deficit" eventually your metabolic rate will reduce to prevent you from losing weight. The body tries to defend itself. I could NEVER eat 1700 calories a day and I'm rather small.

I think you have to give your body more so that it will learn to use more. You might gain a couple pounds but it's worth it.
  • keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    If you start to get fat you are eating to much,no science there LOL,but I only eat about 2500 calories a day,the key is also watch what type of calories you ate consuming,clean/high protein,fiber,low fats,very low saturated fats ,low sugar,and carbs vary from person to person if I you aren't gaining any fat % then bump up your calories a couple hundred a day and try it for a month or two and keep track of the results,if you still are trying to lean out its a different story,as for me I'm going with the stay lean and bulk clean so I'm very fidgety with how I eat usually,I tried 2600 calories for about 2 months and went back form to 2480 so it kind varies,ask QS97 he is th man if you really want to get some serious info & confusion lol.
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    If you start to get fat you are eating to much,no science there LOL,but I only eat about 2500 calories a day,the key is also watch what type of calories you ate consuming,clean/high protein,fiber,low fats,very low saturated fats ,low sugar,and carbs vary from person to person if I you aren't gaining any fat % then bump up your calories a couple hundred a day and try it for a month or two and keep track of the results,if you still are trying to lean out its a different story,as for me I'm going with the stay lean and bulk clean so I'm very fidgety with how I eat usually,I tried 2600 calories for about 2 months and went back form to 2480 so it kind varies,ask QS97 he is th man if you really want to get some serious info & confusion lol.

This! I am also at 2500 calories a day and I am 6'2" and weigh 175. I keep my carb / protein / fat intake at 33% each across the board. So far so good and my metabolism is thru the roof and I am 41 yrs old!!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    A nutrition professor (R.D) of mine once told me, your metabolic rate is directly correlated to your caloric intake. Leptin plays a huge role in your metabolism. When people start a diet and cut calories dramatically, they are also cutting their metabolism dramatically. The key to maintaining or minimizing your metabolic crash is to eat at maintenance for several days, then SLOWLY reduce caloric intake, i.e. a hundred kcals/ several days until you're at about 15-20% caloric deficit at most. This should minimize metabolic crash. Then once in a while (I have one at least once a week) have a refeed (eat a high calorie meal and go over maintenance before bed) to replenish leptin hormone levels to maintain and in some cases rejuvenate and raise your metabolism.
  • happy_travels
    happy_travels Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    A nutrition professor (R.D) of mine once told me, your metabolic rate is directly correlated to your caloric intake. Leptin plays a huge role in your metabolism. When people start a diet and cut calories dramatically, they are also cutting their metabolism dramatically. The key to maintaining or minimizing your metabolic crash is to eat at maintenance for several days, then SLOWLY reduce caloric intake, i.e. a hundred kcals/ several days until you're at about 15-20% caloric deficit at most. This should minimize metabolic crash. Then once in a while (I have one at least once a week) have a refeed (eat a high calorie meal and go over maintenance before bed) to replenish leptin hormone levels to maintain and in some cases rejuvenate and raise your metabolism.

Thank you for this.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

see...exactly what i said but fancier/more technical wording. (and I get no credit...sheesh...haha)
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    This is the one aspect that I've spent alot of effort trying to figure out. I'm 32 y/o, 6'3 and roughly 237 lbs. Currently I'm eating 2500 on rest days (4x / week) and 3200 on workout days (3x / week). I'm a beginner in the gym. My weight on 16 October was 230, and today, just shy of a month later I've gained maybe 7 lbs +/- lb. My lifts have increased a bit though so I know I'm getting stronger but a lack of experience in knowing how my body reacts to different scenarios still makes me weary to think that maybe I'm still eating too much. It's tempting to change my calorie intake every two days which will do me no good in determining what's right for me. Holding fast at 2500/3200 for now, 1.5g /lb LBM for protein and .4g/lb BW for fat and fill in the rest with carbs.

I've had my RMR professionally tested earlier this year and have just bought a Body Media Fit to help determine my TDEE. I know that once I have a number that I feel confident in, things will be much easier. I figure if I'm going to be dedicated towards something and spend the time and effort, some of which I could be spending with my wife and kids, I want to be as well informed as possible.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

see...exactly what i said but fancier/more technical wording. (and I get no credit...sheesh...haha)

What you said was perfectly correct, I just took what your wrote and geeked it up :)
  • Abigailblue39
    Abigailblue39 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I was hoping it shows in my signature line. I'm 5'11 and 140 pounds, 40 years old, I average 2000 cals probably per day. I go over some days and under on others. I estimate, I have around 13,7 % body fat. I agree with Keola, ask q9s7, he's seriously into the UD2 diet. I read the book right now and hope to be able to use some of it for my maintenance deal.
  • keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Thank you for this.
    This is very true UNLESS you have been a heavy drug user in the past like meth/heroin/coke ect.for instance this completely doesn't apply due to the long term destruction that's has been caused to the liver & kidneys which play a crucial role in you digestive health and metabolic rate ,I know this to be fact as I was using for many years have been clean for 3&1/2 years and it took that long for my metabolism go kinda reset,but I still have to be very carefull what I eat my body has yet to process sugars and certain fats the way a normal body should.it clearly my fault and I'm paying for it now but like I said there is no black & white on metabolism given all factors a doctor or listened nutritionist would agree with me due to my having to deal with a lot on internal medicine issues.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    Thank you for this.
    This is very true UNLESS you have been a heavy drug user in the past like meth/heroin/coke ect.for instance this completely doesn't apply due to the long term destruction that's has been caused to the liver & kidneys which play a crucial role in you digestive health and metabolic rate ,I know this to be fact as I was using for many years have been clean for 3&1/2 years and it took that long for my metabolism go kinda reset,but I still have to be very carefull what I eat my body has yet to process sugars and certain fats the way a normal body should.it clearly my fault and I'm paying for it now but like I said there is no black & white on metabolism given all factors a doctor or listened nutritionist would agree with me due to my having to deal with a lot on internal medicine issues.

Yes, very true, any health complications which effect hepatic or renal functions and endocrine system will throw a monkey wrench into how your metabolism and body functions. Definately get with your Dr. before starting a weight loss program if you have any medical conditions which are related to weight loss.