sooo today didn't go well

Options
kburns0709
kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
some of the exercises call for using the weight bar, but what if my arms are still too weak to even lift it? i almost got really hurt today because i can barely pick it up, let alone do squats
is there a modification or do i just have to build up strength for a while before i can even do this program?
my arms have always been my weakest part

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Are you starting session 1?
  • kburns0709
    Options
    yeah i looked up the first one online, i haven't gotten the book yet so maybe its straight up the wrong thing, but the one i saw started with barbell squats so i was like ill just use the bar with nothing on it but even thats too heavy for me
  • GertiLee
    GertiLee Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've been doing goblet squats with a dumbbell instead of using the bar. I'm still working on getting my squat deep enough, once I can do it with a 40# dumbbell I'll switch over to the bar.
  • kburns0709
    Options
    ^^^ thats great advice
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I used dumbells until I could do the squats with 40 pounds (20 pounds in each hand), and then stepped up to the bar.
  • Janda06
    Janda06 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the gym has 20,30,40lb weighted bars or weighted body bars you could start with.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have a squat rack? that way you only need to lift the weight to load the bar. Mine doesn't so I'm clean and pressing the weight from the floor up on to my shoulders.

Will probably have to switch to dumbells once I get my weight a bit higher. I'm only on 30kgs at the minute
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Use dumbbells. That's what I did until I was strong enough to use the 45 pound barbell.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    If you can't use the 45# olympic barbell, try using a smaller one. Many gyms will have a smaller bar so that you get the same "feel" to the excercise but at a lower weight - you can also add plates to those to make it heavier until you can use the olympic bar. My gym has some 15# bars - check with someone if you need to for other options. Otherwise, I think you could use dumbells until you are able to handle the heavier bar. Good luck!!