Introduction

Options
bjohs
bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
Feel free to share a little bit about yourself!

About me: I'm a soon-to-be 44 year old mom to a 4 year old girl (Olivia) and 12 year old boy (Derek). I'm 5'2" and my starting weight was 157. I reached my goal weight in August 2011 and even surpassed it by one pound (121.0). Maintenance mode has been more challenging than I had anticipated so I have gained a few pounds back and working on getting back to goal.

I'm happy to have joined this group! It's nice to be able to relate to other women of the same age. We can do this girls!!!

Replies

• Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Hello I just wrote something on another one so im gonna post it here lol too.

Hello!!!
    So glad to find this group
    I am 42 years old, I have two boys but they are grown men now 21 and 23, married to a nice, kind, and loving man also. He was in Army and decided to go back to finish up and retire he is in NG now.

My story is..I have always been chuncky and big boobed as a younger person i was raised in group homes foster homes and you name it there i was put on diet pills by one of my foster moms at the age of 12, the more i was told stop eating the more id eat. I ride my bike for exercise and take my allowance and go get a chicko stick or snickers before going home!! lol I have no clue why,

I got up to 173 pounds at 5 foot tall when i was 21 i had my kids and still fat. I smoked and one day i was afraid of dying out of the blue i was havinn panick attacks. I wanted to be around for my children i would look at ther little bodies and think wow God made this little body he made mine and i have abused it. I started reading alot of fitness advice I did ESPN fitness pros Something clicked it took two years but i lost 70. I kept it off for along time..I recently gained back in 6 years 50 pounds....

I cant stand it i cant beleive i let myself do it. I have worked full time, i joined the military at age of 38 to see if i could i did, but that put on 10 pounds!! Not muscle either. Any way My real mom an i still had a realtionship all through my life She was my life so after i had turned 18 i stayed around her as much as i could and now the past year i took care of her and i gained another 10 pounds it is liek every year i gained more. MOM was a smoker so was i, i quite three months ago... She died of COPD in my home with me with her, She had RA and diabetes. PAD, heart congestive failure, Degeneritive disk dieasese, osteoperosis, any thing you can think of she had... I lost her in Novenber of last year, I miss her so much she was my life... I am exericing not just for me but for her, I still cry everyday for her.

I have taken care of everyone all my life and now it is time to take care of me. Getting back to me..taking off this fat suit, being me again is what my goal is. I want to be healthy and live life with zest. I dont want to spend time in bed like she had to. I run and i cry thinking of how much i miss her, but as the wind blows when i run i can feel the sun shine on my face and if im crying i close my eyes i can feel the sun drying my face i imagine it is her whiping away my tears. I know she is with God she has to be she suffered so much pain all her life, well sorry opps enough of that..

I hope to get to know more people who are having a hard time losing and know what i feel like, this second time around is reallly harder then the first time i lost it!! must be the Age thing.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Great idea!!!

I'm 43, will be 44 in January. I am a mother to 3 sons, 17, 14 and 10. I've been overweight since the birth of my oldest. I started MFP at 162, but held on to 165 for a long time prior to starting. I saw a friend using the app and I was hooked. Losing weight is never easy, but using MFP has helped me quite a bit. I have made a few changes along this journey. I'm learning portion control, exercising daily and have cut back on alcohol.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I think you can make this topic "sticky" so it stays at the top of the threads list. Thanks for starting this group!
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!! I'm Monica...I'm 40 years old...I have two children....a 14 yo son and 20 yo daughter. I live in a small town in S. Central Texas....When I started MFP I weighed 161 lbs and am down to 141 lbs!! My goal weight is 133 lbs...but thinking of changing it to 125 lbs.....My MFP friends have been so supportive and motivating!! I'm happy to to have found this group with you ladies who are closer to my age!!! Have a great day everyone!!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I'm Patti. I'm 44 and have 5 children, 4 boys and a girl (the youngest). They range in ages 24 down to 9! I live in Houston, Texas. I never had a weight problem until I had my hysterectomy 4 years ago. My body started changing and I was faced with a new way of thinking about food and exercise. I'm super busy- I work at a Jesuit high school in addition to having the kiddos at home. I'm lucky if I can sqeeze in 3 workouts of 30 minutes a week!
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am Charlotte. I am 48 and have two boys, my oldest will be 17 at the end of this month and my youngest is 8. I am currently going through what promises to be a very ugly divorce after 20 years of marriage. Never thought I'd be here.

My high weight was 168 in March. After doing some reading and research, I realized that portion control would not work alone as it had in the past. So I have changed the way I eat. I snack frequently, eat more protein and less carbs. I try to eat clean. For workouts I run and walk. In October I started a twice a week Cross Fit class at the gym with friends. I have lost weight sloooowly. My initial goal was 145 which I saw two weeks ago. My weight hasn't settled there...usually I'll see a low weight then have it go up for a week or two or three before having it stay down there. LOL I am 5'10" btw.

I would like to lose another 5 lbs. And I'd like to reverse gravity too. LOL I have had a TON of stress messing with me along the journey. I kicked my ex out in mid May (10 days before our 20th anniversary). There was some stress loss but most of the loss has been hard work. Lately though, my eating and coping hasn't been very good. So I'm trying to reset my motivation and my approach. I've bought a LOT of new clothes and ditched all my old ones so regaining is not an option! And besides, isn't living well and looking GREAT the best revenge?
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    I think you can make this topic "sticky" so it stays at the top of the threads list. Thanks for starting this group!

Great idea!!
  • durangocal
    durangocal Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Glad to meet you all!

I will be turning 41 in January and have 5 children. Our oldest two are adopted and are currently 15-boy and 20-girl (we adopted them at 3 and 8). Our natural born boys are 7, 11, and 13. I've gained weight steadily starting in college and got to my heaviest weight after my second son. My husband's weight hasn't changed since we've been married (17 years!) but I have steadily increased-he has tried to help me lose weight and a few years back I lost my first 20 lbs because he would work out with me everyday! I've realized though, I have to do this on my own, as soon as his schedule changed I quit my routine! Now, I am determined to get healthy and stay healthy! I have always been athletic and love to work out, hike, bike etc my problem is eating. I also love to eat! MFP has really helped me become accountable for exactly how much I am consuming! I have come across this quote quite a bit in the last year- "it is 80% what you eat and 20% exercise" and never believed it until recently. I had been consistently exercising 5 days a week from October 10 to May 11 and lost no weight! I started MFP in May and have lost 32 pounds without changing my exercise regimen.
  • BestCindyICanBe
    BestCindyICanBe Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am a 46 yo Mom to 4 kids ages 15, 14,10 and 5. I have been overweight most of my life. I started gaining weight in the 3rd grade. I went on my first diet at age 13. It was a starvation diet and as soon as I stopped the diet I gained back everything and more. In my 20's I went on another starvation diet but added exercise. I managed to keep the weight off for several years as I was living by myself, going to aerobics 4 times a week and walking the days I didn't have aerobics. After I married my husband and had kids I found I didn't have time for exercise and started gaining weight again. I got to my heaviest ever during my last pregnancy. When I was 3 months pregnant I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. 5 years later the doctor says that my thyroid is steady and I need to lose weight. I started on MFP at 209 and I am down to 186. At 5"1' the doctor told me to try for 135-140. So my goal is 135. I am trying different exercises out to see what I like. Right now I am doing EA Sports Active on the Wii and Leslie Sanson's Walk At Home video. I plan on being on MFP the rest of my life. It is very easy to get off of a program and to gain weight back.

Cindy
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Anne and I am 44 with three boys ages 11,17, and 19. Been married 20 yrs to the same great man.Momtorh, sorry to hear what you are going through. I couldnt imagine how hard that must be. I work in the school cafeteria as a sub and at a bakery that specializes in wedding cakes.Ugh! so its a little hard at work not to eat that stuff but I am learning how to say no.I have gone up and down over the yrs. Always fat as a kid after my mom died. My stepmother was very heavy and always had junk in the house. My highest was a size 20 and now I am a size 12. I have clothes in my closet that are so cute as I lost 30 lbs with weight watchers a couple yrs ago and got down to an 8. Would like to get back there asap but didnt want to pay again and I remembered this site so am using it. So far this wk has been great as I got back to the gym. Want to lose 25 to 30 again. So motivated right now! Feel free to add me!
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    Mom2h....so sorry to hear that. We are here to support you!!
  • sahalcomb
    sahalcomb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    :heart: this new group! Hey everyone! I'm Sabrina, the 42 yr old mom to 3 great kids, 21, 16 & 14. I've been married for 22 yrs and have taught Kindergarten for 21. I've been up and down on the scale for my entire life and being only 5'2", that really stinks! :) I lost 30+ lbs 11 years ago and kept it off for about five yrs. Then life took over, combined with horrible eating habits and a crazy lazy exercise approach, & I have gained all that I had lost and even gained another 40ish lbs on top of that! My starting weight on MFP was the heaviest I've ever been and I realized I had to do something...for me! 140 days in and 32 lbs gone, I feel so much better---physically and mentally. It feels great to put forth the effort and see results! I log in my calories, try to stay under goal, eat more healthy, exercise 6 days a week and try to read something motivational every day to stay excited about this journey! I know I didn't put it on overnight and that it won't come off overnight... it's all about the journey back to ME! Feel free to add me~~~we're all in this together! :flowerforyou: Good luck to all on this journey!
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Glad to meet you all!

I will be turning 41 in January and have 5 children. Our oldest two are adopted and are currently 15-boy and 20-girl (we adopted them at 3 and 8). Our natural born boys are 7, 11, and 13. I've gained weight steadily starting in college and got to my heaviest weight after my second son. My husband's weight hasn't changed since we've been married (17 years!) but I have steadily increased-he has tried to help me lose weight and a few years back I lost my first 20 lbs because he would work out with me everyday! I've realized though, I have to do this on my own, as soon as his schedule changed I quit my routine! Now, I am determined to get healthy and stay healthy! I have always been athletic and love to work out, hike, bike etc my problem is eating. I also love to eat! MFP has really helped me become accountable for exactly how much I am consuming! I have come across this quote quite a bit in the last year- "it is 80% what you eat and 20% exercise" and never believed it until recently. I had been consistently exercising 5 days a week from October 10 to May 11 and lost no weight! I started MFP in May and have lost 32 pounds without changing my exercise regimen.
    I think that is a wonderful thing adopting!! I am sure they are happy you have adopted them. Good luck on your healthy life style!!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Hello All
    My name is Marlene. I live in Colorado am married to a wonderful man..and have 2 daughters. Rachell just turned 12 and Iesha will be sweet 16 in February.

I have pretty much been thin my whole life. Once I hit my lae 20s..I started slowly gaining weight. This was a combo of being forced into an arranged marriage and moving from sunny Cali to gloomy New Jersey.

I was finally diagnosed with PCOS when I turned 30.. I ended up divorcing my ex...since he was not into the though of adopting. I finally met Kevin 30 days after my divorce was final..funny thing was we worked in the same place for over a year..(Divine Intervention if you ask me :flowerforyou: )

So I started working out..trying to lose the weight. I balloned to 185 from my first weight of 125. I got the weignt down to 150..but mind you..I wasnt eating right..but still wondering why I couldnt get lower than a size 10)

So we moved out to Colorado..I was still weighing 175 (being in a loving relationship made me gain)..We were blessed with our daughters in November of 2006.

This year..I finally went to a doc that a friend suggessted..she has hormonal issues aswell so I took a leap of faith. THis amazing doc figured I had PCOS (well so did I), but she also diagnosed me with IR, hypothyroid, and adrenal fatigue..

Fast forwar to today...I have lost almost 35 pounds..and still losing. THe doc put me on a Paleo diet last week so that I can lose body fat.. Even with the huge weight loss..I only lost 3% BF cause of the IR..so here I go again..

Its been amazing..I never thought that I would want to look hot at 40...Being East Indian...(thats why the arranged marriage)...I was raised not to think of myself..that its ok to be fat..cause after all you were already married..but not any more..I am closing in on my weight that I was in my 20s..and I am LOVING IT.
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I'm Lynn... thanks for the invite Alicia!!!! I've been overweight most of my life also... it got worse once I had my kids... I have 3 - 21, 19 and 14. Two are away at college - well mostly away, they go to college in state and come home a lot!!! So I have had a lot more time to myself. So I thought I should start dating again!!!! mom2rh - I know what you are going through... my ex and I divorced 6 years ago... and I am just starting to get my life back together. I NEVER thought I would be single in my 40's. But there is life after!

I joined mfp a year ago but didn't really start getting involved and really logging things until the beginning of this year. My highest weight was about 212. I am down to 158 right now... I'm 5'4" and would like to maintain at 140. I started walking and then running, and now I run about 4-5 times per week anywhere from 2.5 to 4 miles per run, depending on how I feel.

I did meet someone a year ago on match.com! Our families have actually know each other for over 20 years.. in fact, my youngest son is named after his cousin's son - just because I liked the name!!!! And the nicest thing is that he met me and liked me at a higher weight... thinks gravity and gray is good! Gotta love that!!!

Thanks for making this group!!!! BTW, anyone starting menopause? I thought my periods were out of whack because of the running, but I think after 9 months of running, it should level off... but my periods are about every 3-4 months now. I just got my period and now I remember why I was on the pill for so long... just feel like crap and it's heavy... no hot flashes yet though... anyone else?
  • reenymac
    reenymac Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Reeny, I'm 45 Mom to 3 boys (13 11 and 8) I' don't have a huge amount of weight to lose but that seems to be part of my problem... I can't seem to get started. I'm 5' 2" and have set myself a goal of 122 but ideally I'd like 120 but would probably be happy with 125 LOL.. I've been a member here for probably about 6 weeks or more, and all I've managed to do is put on 2lbs !!

I'm not a huge junk food eater, I actually love healthy food, I don't eat a huge amount of processed food, I just seem to eat a LOT of food ! plus creamy stuff is one of my downfalls. (I've given up cream completely for the month of November so far so good.) I'm ridiculously lazy and that obviously doesn't help my weightloss I need to find excercise that I like, I do like walking when I get going but the thought of actually going for a walk stops me ! I live in an area where I'm surrounded by running Mothers ! Tons of them.. everywhere I go I see them in their tight running gear with no wobbly bits :), talk at the school gates is about Marathons and running tracks and instead of motivating me it just drives me to food ! LOL

I've been really feeling my age lately and that's a bit depressing because I don't think I should be at that stage for at least another 20 years.. I want to get back to feeling good about my body, about wearing nice clothes, even my hubby said today I need to smarten myself up that I've let myself go a bit !! - He tried to say it in the nicest possible way and even though I knew he was right I nearly hit him LOL..

So here I am Mom over 40 feeling like a Mom over 50 ! . If I can crack the excercise I know I'll be ok with the food, I know I can do that part, so that's where I need help and motivation to get moving !! Who want's to take me on as a project !!

I look forward to getting to know you all.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies. I am 41, I have 2 grown step children, a 16 year old son, and we have custody of a special needs grandchild who is about to turn 10, he has been with us since he was 1. It has it's challenges, but it is so totally worth it. You will never meet anyone that can love like that kid can. My husband and I will celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary in December, marrying only 24 days after we met. I work as a loan processor for a bank and am learning to ride a motorcycle, very fun. I love my family and my God. So thankful to have found MFP. Good luck to all of you in each of your journies.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Michelle from NY here. I have 10 year old twins. A boy and a girl. I have been married for 15 years. I was not overweight my entire life. I actually had what I now realize was a pretty good figure during my teens and early 20's. Of course I didn't think so back then.

I gained a few lbs when I began dating my husband. There was a lot of eating out and snacks at movies etc. But, the real weight started coming on after we got married. We began trying to conceive a baby right away and did not have any success. After almost 2 years of trying on our own, we started infertility treatments after finding out that my husband had a problem. Unfortunately for me, even though the problem was his, I was the one who had to take fertility drugs and endure lots of poking and prodding. To keep it short, I ended up gaining about 30lbs on those fertility drugs. I am sure some of the weight was also due to binge eating out of depression.

The good news is, I eventually went on the have my 2 beautiful children. Over the last 10 years my weight has fluctuated a lot. I'd lose 15lbs or so in anticipation of a vacation or an event, then gain it back plus more. I began my MFP journey when I realized that my daughter was having some weight issues. She gained 20lbs the year that she was 8. Last february I sat down with her and had a long talk about what was going on. She began crying and said that food makes her feel better when she is sad. I knew then that I had to make some big changes and the first one was for me to begin setting a better example.

That day, I loaded the MFP app on my iPhone and really have not looked back. I am 5 ft, 5in and I started out at 200lbs. I am down to 162 and my ultimate goal is 150. That will put me comfortably in a size 8, which is small enough for me. I am lucky in that my weight is pretty evenly distributed around my body. The best part about losing weight for me, is knowing that my kids see me as a healthy person. The cuter clothes are nice too!:wink:

Thanks for inviting me Alicia!
  • minilawyer
    minilawyer Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am Maggie, 42 year old mother to six children (21 year old boy, 19 year old girl, 13 year old boy, 10 year old boy, 8 year old boy, and 6 year old boy). I've been married to their dad for almost 22 years. I've been overweight pretty much my entire life and it sure clouds how I look at myself and people around me. I've tried on and off for years to lose the weight, but usually gave up at some point. On June 16 of this year, I started again and have not given up. I've had my ups and downs and have lost about 27 pounds. I still have more than that to go. I'm floundering a lot and looking for some motivation to not give up. Tthe giving up seems to sneak up on me...a mistake here, a mistake there, and next thing you know, I've gained the weight back. I don't want to do that again. I had a birthday a bit over a month ago and my mother and aunt bought me new clothes...it was very exciting to find out that I had lost quite a few sizes there! I'd rather not go back into my larger clothes and feel like I can continue to go down in size. I just need to get through the plateaus I seem to hit frequently. Looking forward to getting to know you all!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

My name is Cindy. I'm 44, blessed to be married to my best friend and we'll be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary next month. We have 4 great children together and their ages are 24, 21, 10 and 9 years old. We often get asked if it's our second marriage, started a second family, etc. Nope, all ours. I spent most of my 20's and 30's overweight and at different stages of overweight. I joined MFP on January 11, 2011 and decided enough was enough. I have lost 102 pounds to date and feel great. I've gone from a size 24 (busting out of it) to a size 10 / 12. I'm 5' 8" tall and looking to lose another 25 pounds to reach goal. Here's a before and current photo and a link to my photo journal if anyone wants to take a peek.

BEFORE (I'm actually 10 years YOUNGER in this picture)
    scan0014.jpg

CURRENT
    CindyNov11.jpg

Link to my photo journal of my weight loss journey.
    http://s1087.photobucket.com/albums/j477/keeponkickin/